• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Argentine Senate backs bill legalising gay marriage

kaya'08

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Argentina has become the first country in Latin America to legalise gay marriage after the Senate voted in favour.

The country's Chamber of Deputies had already approved the legislation.

The vote in the Senate, which backed the bill by just six votes, came after 14 hours of at times heated debate.

Catch up California!
Argentina, im impressed.

BBC News - Argentine Senate backs bill legalising gay marriage

Once again America falls further behind other countries in human rights. Its sad that at one point in time, the United States was considered the "free-est" country in the world. We can no longer make that claim and we continue to fall behind other countries when it comes to freedom and recognition of human rights.

Once again America falls further behind other countries in human rights. Its sad that at one point in time, the United States was considered the "free-est" country in the world. We can no longer make that claim and we continue to fall behind other countries when it comes to freedom and recognition of human rights.

LOL Human rights. I'll remember you said that when someone wants to pass a law eliminating the age of consent for marriage :D

LOL Human rights. I'll remember you said that when someone wants to pass a law eliminating the age of consent for marriage :D

And the pedophilia card gets played in post 5. Good to keep those mindless appeals to emotion in people's minds.

And the pedophilia card gets played in post 5. Good to keep those mindless appeals to emotion in people's minds.

LOL sure you want to go down this path Redress?

Are children not human? Care to answer?

According to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, to which the United States is a signatory:

Article 16(1) of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights said:
Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.

According to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, to which the United States is a signatory:

So you support polygamy then. Outstanding.

And children do not have human rights.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Want to fall further down the rabbit hole with this ridiculous argument of yours?

Last edited:

Complete non sequitur, hardly worthy of response. However, you will get one. At no point did I lend my support to anything, let along polygamy. I am merely repeating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, to which the United States is signatory (This means they apply to Texas, too). The human right to marriage does not apply to children, not being of "full age," but this does not entail that children do not have any human rights, which, in fact, they do under Article 1 of the Declaration by virtue of being born. Be careful that you do not fall down your own rabbit hole, tex, or perhaps I should says guinea-pig-hole;)

Last edited:

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Want to fall further down the rabbit hole with this ridiculous argument of yours?

Polygamy, post 9. Bring up bestiality so we have the full trifecta please.

Polygamy, post 9. Bring up bestiality so we have the full trifecta please.

You know I do tolerate legitimate arguments for gay marriage even if I don't agree with them. But "human rights" is a ridiculous and lazy argument far too easy to exploit which was my point as you well know.

Funny HOW we have Polygamy, and Pedophilia in the first few post as an argument.

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

-------------------

Way to go Argentine

Shame on Argentina. Yet again another state/nation is probably going to legalize gay marriage without a popular vote from the people.

Shame on Argentina. Yet again another state/nation is probably going to legalize gay marriage without a popular vote from the people.

My understanding is that modern democracies employ an elected legislature as a safeguard against the abuses of mob rule.

Funny HOW we have Polygamy, and Pedophilia in the first few post as an argument.

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

-------------------

Way to go Argentine

If you stopped to actually think about why it was made you might learn something.

But that does require thought on your part.

My understanding is that modern democracies employ an elected legislature as a safeguard against the abuses of mob rule.

Regardless, pretty much the only places that legalize homosexual marriages do so at a senate level and not at a popular level. I wonder what the public opinion of gay marriage in Argentina is.

Regardless, pretty much the only places that legalize homosexual marriages do so at a senate level and not at a popular level. I wonder what the public opinion of gay marriage in Argentina is.

Society and the people can be wrong.

Society and the people can be wrong.

Which is why elected officials should pass things against their will. I agree that society and the people can be wrong, but would it be ok to criminalize gay marriage if a majority of citizens wanted it legal?

Which is why elected officials should pass things against their will. I agree that society and the people can be wrong, but would it be ok to criminalize gay marriage if a majority of citizens wanted it legal?

That would hurt innocent people. Legalizing gay marriage hurts NO ONE.

That would hurt innocent people. Legalizing gay marriage hurts NO ONE.

Legalizing gay marriage is imposing upon everyone at the state level, that homosexuality is moral and equal to a heterosexual union. That homosexual unions fit the definition of marriage. Not extending the marriage definition to homosexual unions doesn't harm anyone either. It's a clash of morals in regards to how marriage should be defined.

Legalizing gay marriage is imposing upon everyone at the state level, that homosexuality is moral and equal to a heterosexual union. That homosexual unions fit the definition of marriage. Not extending the marriage definition to homosexual unions doesn't harm anyone either. It's a clash of morals in regards to how marriage should be defined.

You still have yet to prove who it physically hurts. Mental hurt perhaps, to peoples pride. But nothing more then that.

Well done Argentina!

Really, after a couple of years of it being legal, you barely notice the difference.

Well done Argentina!

Really, after a couple of years of it being legal, you barely notice the difference.

Well, unless you are gay and can get married now. They will notice the difference.

Well, unless you are gay and can get married now. They will notice the difference.

Apart from them ofc.
But despite fears, it doesn't bring down the institution of marriage

Back
Top Bottom