• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are You Tired of the Separation of Church and State?

Separation of church and state keeps Christians from telling other Christians how to worship.

It's not just this atheism is taking over society boogeyman.

Separation of church and state keeps Christians from telling other Christians how to worship.

It's not just this atheism is taking over society boogeyman.
No, Christian denominations have no problem telling the others how to worship. Separation of church and state is a judicial dictate used to purge Christianity from public life.

No, Christian denominations have no problem telling the others how to worship.
Exactly, that's a problem. I shouldn't be forced to do things the catholic way if I am not a catholic, for example.
Separation of church and state is a judicial dictate used to purge Christianity from public life.
Incorrect, the faith is declining in the western world due to other reasons. For example, look at belgium which has a state church that is supported by taxes that almost nobody goes to on sundays.

No, Christian denominations have no problem telling the others how to worship. Separation of church and state is a judicial dictate used to purge Christianity from public life.
That is false, with a hint of paranoia.

If you are, you might be Lauren Boobert.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/boebert-says-she-tired-separation-205248681.html

Brad Dress
Tue, June 28, 2022 at 4:52 PM

Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) says she is “tired” of the long-standing separation between church and state in the U.S., adding that she believes “the church is supposed to direct the government.”
In a Sunday speech at the Cornerstone Christian Center in Basalt, Colo., ahead of her primary election on Tuesday, Boebert argued that “the government is not supposed to direct the church,” falsely claiming that dividing religion from the system of government was not what the Founding Fathers intended.
“I’m tired of this separation of church and state junk — that’s not in the Constitution. It was in a stinking letter and it means nothing like they say it does,” Boebert said, earning a round of applause from the audience.

What we need is Theocracy.....apparently

Can inquisition and witch burnings be far behind?
What a stupid question. No one is calling for an inquisition or witch burnings. Such talk is irresponsible.

I am reminded of Ben Franklin's letter to Thomas Paine. Paine--who had just written a pamphlet called The Age of Reason-- which promoted Paine's Deistic world-view. Franklin had written his letter with the now famous quote, "f men are so wicked with religion, what would they be if without it".

In other words, if men are so evil with the advantage of religion, just think how bad they would be without religion to restrain their urges.

He makes an excellent point.

He makes another excellent point when--on another occasion--he correctly pointed out that "[m]any have quarreled about religion that never practice it.”

Exactly, that's a problem.
A problem for who?
I shouldn't be forced to do things the catholic way if I am not a catholic, for example.

Incorrect, the faith is declining in the western world due to other reasons. For example, look at belgium which has a state church that is supported by taxes that almost nobody goes to on sundays.

What a stupid question. No one is calling for an inquisition or witch burnings. Such talk is irresponsible.

and... "Liberalism is
Liberalism is all one reads in the US Constitution and is the foundation of our society here in America.
I'd have thought a history scholar would know that.

No one is calling for witch burnings? You may not see it but when people are being threatened with imprisonment by religious zealots, that seems a modern day equivalent, and what I wrote was
. can those things be far behind.

...and isn't there violence against providers?

According to NAF, since 1977 in the United States and Canada, property crimes committed against abortion providers have included 41 bombings, 173 arsons, 91 attempted bombings or arsons, 619 bomb threats, 1630 incidents of trespassing, 1264 incidents of vandalism, and 100 attacks with butyric acid ("stink bombs").

If you don't care for the source, find another, but what you can't do is deny the violence perpetrated by religious radicals over abortion rights/a woman's control of her own body.

Absolutely not.

Religion (or theology) is the repository and vehicle for most of our moral teachings.

I'd love to see atheist kids have the chance to be someplace where they can mediate or play games while others do what they want to do.
Religion as the moral teachings repository? That's fing hilarious.

Religion as the moral teachings repository? That's fing hilarious.
Well, to be fair, you know that what we call religion here in the US is corrupt to be generous, but that isn't to say that there is nothing of value in the inner teachings.

That is false, with a hint of paranoia.
Another declaration with no supporting evidence.

Were the Little Sisters of the Poor paranoid when the Obama administration threatened them with $40K per day in fines because they wouldn't bow down to an Obamacare edict for religious convictions? How about the football coach fired for a post game private prayer?

Oh no, that's no repression of religion.

Well, to be fair, you know that what we call religion here in the US is corrupt to be generous, but that isn't to say that there is nothing of value in the inner teachings.
Didn't say that. Faith is personal, it carries value to the person, not the society imo.

Another declaration with no supporting evidence.

Were the Little Sisters of the Poor paranoid when the Obama administration threatened them with $40K per day in fines because they wouldn't bow down to an Obamacare edict for religious convictions? How about the football coach fired for a post game private prayer?

Oh no, that's no repression of religion.
You don't seem to understand that separation actually helps religion.

Yes, the church needs to be stamped out so there is nothing to separate from.

LOL

LOL
That might happen when people grow up and outgrow the need for god/s or other such fairy tales.

If religion is the basis of moral teachings, that might explain why human history is so bloody.

I said repository and vehicle.

The assumption is that the "moral" teaching are those that benefit mankind (i.e).

1. Love your neighbor as yourself
2. Thou shalt not lie/not kill/not committ adultery
3. Go the second mile.

If those cause bloodshed, I'd like to know how.

The above are based in theology.

Religion is the expression of theology.

If religion somehow calls on you to kill people (and spare me the O.T. references....I don't see where the N.T. teaches any such thing) in today's world, then it is corrupt or the people who are leading it have decided to play judge/jury.

And I can't help but wonder if the Almighty isn't reaching for a lightning bolt when some idiot "in the name of God" crashes a funeral with signs that say "God hates fags".

LOL

The only people who can do that is the church itself.

If you attempted to force that, you'd be violating all kinds of laws.

Back
Top Bottom