• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Are you sure there is no God ? [W: 352]

Are you sure there is no God ?

• Total voters
Look in the mirror.

I have the historical Gospels, the New Testament epistles, fulfilled prophecies, and extra-biblical confirmation from multiple sources.

Recommend you familiarize yourself with the evidence.

historical_jesus_cover.jpg

You make a lot of far out claims you can't back up. That the Biblical Jesus never existed is one of them.

Well, the points I make for that are the ones you clutch to as your axioms, so they certainly would not register with you.

Do you know what apologetics means? His "minimal facts" approach is not convincing. Is that all he's got? Minimal, indeed. Obviously, the author is a believer, just like you. Find another source from a non-believer. The Jesus story is a story just like any other of the many god stories that men have written. This guy has only demonstrated how little there is as far as facts when it comes to Jesus.

Here is a critique of Habermas's "brilliant" minimal facts "proof":

The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus by Gary Habermas and Michael Licona (Review)

Well, the points I make for that are the ones you clutch to as your axioms, so they certainly would not register with you.

You don't have any FACTS that the Biblical Jesus isn't true, but you go on ad mauseum with that folly anyway.

Do you know what apologetics means? His "minimal facts" approach is not convincing. Is that all he's got? Minimal, indeed. Obviously, the author is a believer, just like you. Find another source from a non-believer. The Jesus story is a story just like any other of the many god stories that men have written. This guy has only demonstrated how little there is as far as facts when it comes to Jesus.

Here is a critique of Habermas's "brilliant" minimal facts "proof":

The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus by Gary Habermas and Michael Licona (Review)

Nuts. Here's an example of the worthless arguments made in your link:

Quote: "Second, the willingness of the early apostles to die for their faith also means nothing, for a very simple reason: people of many other religions believed so strongly that they were willing to die for their false beliefs, too. Jews were willing to die for their belief that Yahweh didn’t want them to eat bacon.3 The early Muslims were willing to die for their beliefs, for example Sumayyah bint Khubbat and Husayn ibn Ali – to say nothing of modern suicide bombers. Thousands of adherents to Bábism (an offshoot of Islam) were put to death for their faith in the 1840s.4 Hundreds of Bahá’ís have been executed for their faith.5 Martyrdom for Vahiguru is a central practice of Sikhism. There have been martyrs for Zoroastrianism, Jainism, Scientology, paganism, Shintoism, and many other faiths. Martyrdom around the world shows the strong appeal of blind belief, not the actual truth of what is believed."

The reason THAT REASONING is faulty is because those people given as examples (Muslims, babism, Baha'i, Vahiguru, Sikhism, etc.) died BELIEVING THEIR BELIEFS WERE REAL, not false. They may have turned out to be false by pundits later, but they died believing their beliefs were true.

The apostles died for what they believed was true, and no one has yet to demonstrate their beliefs were false.

Here's another farce: "(3) (the Gospels) are internally contradictory, (4) and are contradictory between sources, too."

Give me your best ONE (1) example. Just ONE. And don't give me a half-baked laundry list. Just pick out the ONE (1) best example you have. Cite the scriptures involved. And make sure it deals with one of the central tenets of the faith, rather than some largely unimportant issue.

And for the record, all four Gospels, plus various epistles, confirm the resurrection.

You don't have any FACTS that the Biblical Jesus isn't true, but you go on ad mauseum with that folly anyway.

WHy, yes, i do. I know it is physically impossible to walk on water, turn water into wine without time, yeast and grapes, or rise from the dead. That is all that is needed to show that the Gospel Jesus didn't exist.

Nuts. Here's an example of the worthless arguments made in your link:

Quote: "Second, the willingness of the early apostles to die for their faith also means nothing, for a very simple reason: people of many other religions believed so strongly that they were willing to die for their false beliefs, too. Jews were willing to die for their belief that Yahweh didn’t want them to eat bacon.3 The early Muslims were willing to die for their beliefs, for example Sumayyah bint Khubbat and Husayn ibn Ali – to say nothing of modern suicide bombers. Thousands of adherents to Bábism (an offshoot of Islam) were put to death for their faith in the 1840s.4 Hundreds of Bahá’ís have been executed for their faith.5 Martyrdom for Vahiguru is a central practice of Sikhism. There have been martyrs for Zoroastrianism, Jainism, Scientology, paganism, Shintoism, and many other faiths. Martyrdom around the world shows the strong appeal of blind belief, not the actual truth of what is believed."

The reason THAT REASONING is faulty is because those people given as examples (Muslims, babism, Baha'i, Vahiguru, Sikhism, etc.) died BELIEVING THEIR BELIEFS WERE REAL, not false. They may have turned out to be false by pundits later, but they died believing their beliefs were true.

The apostles died for what they believed was true, and no one has yet to demonstrate their beliefs were false.

Here's another farce: "(3) (the Gospels) are internally contradictory, (4) and are contradictory between sources, too."

Give me your best ONE (1) example. Just ONE. And don't give me a half-baked laundry list. Just pick out the ONE (1) best example you have. Cite the scriptures involved. And make sure it deals with one of the central tenets of the faith, rather than some largely unimportant issue.

And for the record, all four Gospels, plus various epistles, confirm the resurrection.

Dying for any belief is not a proof of the validity of the belief.

Dying for any belief is not a proof of the validity of the belief.

Where's your example that I requested from my previous post? Do you just make claims without backing them up?

Where's your example that I requested from my previous post? Do you just make claims without backing them up?

You have been given many examples but you always ignore them. All you have is blind faith.

WHy, yes, i do. I know it is physically impossible to walk on water, turn water into wine without time, yeast and grapes, or rise from the dead. That is all that is needed to show that the Gospel Jesus didn't exist.

What's mathematically impossible is your bizarre belief in abiogenesis.

What's mathematically impossible is your bizarre belief in abiogenesis.

Tell me, what are my beliefs about abiogensis and how are you calculating the odds??? Can you show that the calculations you claim are correct?? Show what the odds are, and how you arrived at the number, and then show that is the proper calculations. You won't answer of course....

Tell me, what are my beliefs about abiogensis and how are you calculating the odds??? Can you show that the calculations you claim are correct?? Show what the odds are, and how you arrived at the number, and then show that is the proper calculations. You won't answer of course....

Right after you show me the scientific studies that prove that God and the supernatural do not and cannot exist.

Right after you show me the scientific studies that prove that God and the supernatural do not and cannot exist.

Well.. I accurately predicted it, you aren't going to answer... because your question is also a non-answer.

Now, let's specifically talk about 'the supernatural'.

The natural is 'anything that does or can exist'. The supernatural is 'beyond the natural'. SO, the supernatural is 'beyond that which does or possiblty can exisdt', so by defnition there is no supernatural, there is only the natural that is too narrowly defined.

As for God, do define what you mean when you say 'God'. Can you describe what God is, beyond using actions you attribute to God? I don't know what you mean when you say God.

I will say that if/when God is shown to exist, by definition, God will be natural.

Right after you show us the scientific studies that prove that leprechauns and goblins do not exist.

Science does not study things for which there is zero observable or measurable evidence which can be tested objectively.

Science does not study things for which there is zero observable or measurable evidence which can be tested objectively.

Still waiting on your best one (1) example from this post:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/philo...od-w-352-a-post1066686221.html#post1066686221

Do you ever research these issues on your own or just parrot what you pull off some anti-Christianity website? I've given away over 400 research books on the Gospels, etc. You should be true to yourself and do some legitimate research because your eternity depends on it.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/philo...od-w-352-a-post1066686221.html#post1066686221

Do you ever research these issues on your own or just parrot what you pull off some anti-Christianity website? I've given away over 400 research books on the Gospels, etc. You should be true to yourself and do some legitimate research because your eternity depends on it.

I see. Can you give evidence that you read and understood any of the 400 research books, and were they along the lines of Gary Habermas and josh mcdonald??

There is nothing to research. I don't need books or websites to tell me the obvious. I'm not concerned about eternity because I am mortal, not eternal.

I would say there is no way to successfully answer if there is or isn't a god or gods. I do not believe that the answer to that question is one that is important for us to discover or one that people should spend so much of their time thinking or worrying about.

I would say there is no way to successfully answer if there is or isn't a god or gods. I do not believe that the answer to that question is one that is important for us to discover or one that people should spend so much of their time thinking or worrying about.

I disagree.

There are gods that, by definition, cannot exist; There are definitions of 'gods' that could exist but, to make a viable definition you have to essentially strip 'gods' of all characteristics that make them what would normally be considered 'gods'. Hence, when you get a philosophical argument regarding 'gods' most intelligent theists argue for a vague spiritual being and a few smart arses argue for a 'creator/creative force'. They don't fool most people.

It is important because religion poisons much of our lives and we need to free ourselves from the delusion that creates that poison.

There is nothing to research. I don't need books or websites to tell me the obvious.

You know, the more I learned in college the more things I found out I didn't know. But that doesn't mean I didn't learn a great deal.

You haven't done your homework on the subjects of Christ and the New Testament, and you profess to know about it - that it's bogus? That's an absolute farce to make that leap of logic.

You know, the more I learned in college the more things I found out I didn't know. But that doesn't mean I didn't learn a great deal.

You haven't done your homework on the subjects of Christ and the New Testament, and you profess to know about it - that it's bogus? That's an absolute farce to make that leap of logic.

There is nothing to study. Without belief, the Christ story in the New Testament is just that; a story. It is just another god myth and I never studied mythology either and I don't need to. It is all the same. It is fiction.

Back
Top Bottom