• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you ProLife? ProChoice? ProChoice With Limits?

What is your stand on abortion?

• Total voters

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
If you vote ProChoice with Limits, what are they? And what is the limit based on?

It's my opinion that many ProLifers are actually ProChoice Within Limits.

I had to change my own stand on abortion after taking part in a number of abortion discussions....wonder how many others have given their stance the same thought.

I'm ProChoice about abortion up until three months. That would seem to give a woman two to three months to think about what she's going to do -- her options. And to make a decision. I'm not even quite sure about the 3 month cutoff. But somewhere around there.

So I've gone from ProLife to ProChoice Within Limits. How about you?

(I don't "get" how to set up polls. I'm submitting and hoping something pops up to help. If not, I'd appreciate a Moderator simply deleting or moving the thread. Thank you.)

I am pro-choice of the states to decide this issue themselves. I don't think they need a court to tell them what to do.

If you vote ProChoice with Limits, what are they? And what is the limit based on?

I had to change my own stand on abortion after taking part in a number of abortion discussions....wonder how many others have given their stance the same thought.

I'm ProChoice about abortion up until three months. That would seem to give a woman two to three months to think about what she's going to do -- her options. And to make a decision. I'm not even quite sure about the 3 month cutoff. But somewhere around there.

(I don't "get" how to set up polls. I'm submitting and hoping something pops up to help. If not, I'd appreciate a Moderator simply deleting or moving the thread. Thank you.)

I notice you don't offer "ProChoice without limits/exceptions" as an option.
That's what I am, and what I've always been.

I am pro-life with no limits and only 1 exception, that being to protect the life of the mother.

I notice you don't offer "ProChoice without limits/exceptions" as an option.
That's what I am, and what I've always been.

ProChoice standing alone was meant to be that option.

ProChoice standing alone was meant to be that option.

Yet "Prolife, no exceptions" was specified.
I assumed it was an oversight.

The way you've worded the poll questions, you're going to get skewed results; now that I know it was intended, I can only assume you want skewed results.

For more accurate results, try this next time:

1 Prochoice, no exceptions
2. Prochoice, with exceptions
3 Prolife, no exceptions
4 Prolife, with exceptions
5 Other, explain.

Last edited:
I'm pro-life. In the cases of rape or incest I'd attempt to help the mother separate the child from the action that created it and emphasize that that child is innocent of the circumstances that brought it into being. I can, however, understand how the lasting anguish resulting from the incident could mentally harm both mother and child. For me it fits the self defense guidelines and therefor reluctantly make that exception to my pro-life stance.

I am Pro-Choice without limits. I think abortion is a sub-set of Reproductive Rights and that the state has no right to interfere with how a man or woman exercise their reproductive rights with the professional advice of their medical practitioner.

Last edited:
Yet "Prolife, no exceptions" was specified.
I assumed it was an oversight.

The way you've worded the poll questions, you're going to get skewed results; now that I know it was intended, I can only assume you want skewed results.

For more accurate results, try this next time:

1 Prochoice, no exceptions
2. Prochoice, with exceptions
3 Prolife, no exceptions
4 Prolife, with exceptions
5 Other, explain.

Oh, yes, 1069. I definitely wanted skewed results. OFGS!!! Woulda'-shouda'coulda'. We'll just have to work with skewed.

ProLife only with the mothers life is endangered as an exception. This means that multiple prolife doctors have informed the mother that a Caesarean section or vaginal birth at 24 weeks or later or the pregnancy will result in the loss of the mother's life.

I just dont know anymore. Logically its stopping the growth of a life form. Thas is called killing. Does a woman have that right when it is HER body? Yes. Do I want it or like it... no. Do unplanned kids ruin peoples lives? Yes. Do they grow up to have a negative impact on society? Sometimes. Its not the childs fault. They have crappy parents. In ANY type of forced sex or if there is a danger to the woman then, it is logically OK to terminate the life. Bottom line is it is the fault of the parents that had SEX! Will they murder because its the right thing to do? Convienience? Health?
It IS the mothers right. But it ISN'T right to do. Maybe. For the most part.

Last edited:
Pro-choice without any limits here. The woman's rights are absolutely paramount without exception.

I hate the abortion debate.

It is one of the most unimportant but most discussed issues of the past 30-40 years.
We have bigger fish to fry and should leave it alone, until we can manage our national and state budgets.

Pro-Choice, first trimester only. I'm okay with a few exceptions for the second and third trimesters, mainly to save the mother's life or if the fetus presents huge abnormalities, and also if the mother is either too young or too old.

Pro choice with limits.

Elective abortion up to 20 weeks. After that abortion only legal if the mother's life or health is in serious danger or if the fetus has a condition that would not allow it to survive outside the womb.

I'm inclined to say abortion on demand up until very late in the pregnancy. Not because I necessarily buy the argument that the woman's rights always supersede any state interest in the fetus, but just because I think it's good social policy.

I am pro-choice of the states to decide this issue themselves. I don't think they need a court to tell them what to do.
I disagree with this. We need a centralized law on the issue. Otherwise all you have to do is hop the border and one state's law becomes meaningless. If you let individual states decide, you get a constantly shifting patchwork of different levels of legality. This is the kind of thing that needs to be decided and enforced at the FEDERAL level for an across-the-board rule.

I disagree with this. We need a centralized law on the issue. Otherwise all you have to do is hop the border and one state's law becomes meaningless. If you let individual states decide, you get a constantly shifting patchwork of different levels of legality. This is the kind of thing that needs to be decided and enforced at the FEDERAL level for an across-the-board rule.

The same rationale would apply to laws dealing with guns, gambling, prostitution, drugs, age of consent, etc. Do you think those should all be legislated at the national level?

The same rationale would apply to laws dealing with guns, gambling, prostitution, drugs, age of consent, etc. Do you think those should all be legislated at the national level?
Yes, I do.

Are you suggesting we make crossing state lines with the intent to procure an abortion a federal offense?

I'm inclined to say abortion on demand up until very late in the pregnancy. Not because I necessarily buy the argument that the woman's rights always supersede any state interest in the fetus, but just because I think it's good social policy.

Remember folks - spay and and neuter and your kids! :mrgreen:

In case of rape if police report has been made. However I think a good idea would be that in case of rape a woman should be offered/suggested the take the morning after pill.
I don't think a woman should just be able to say she was raped to get an abortion.

Incest, yes but needs to be reported and justice served.

Minors yes, but justice needs to be served on the rapist unless he is also a minor.
Planned Parenthood gives abortions to minors without turning in the rapists or gets the girl to say a minor impregnated her.

Yes, I do.

NY should be forced to have the same gun laws as TX? VT should be forced to have the same gambling/prostitution laws as NV? CO should be forced to have the same laws banning medicinal marijuana as OH?

I don't see why the federal government should be in charge of coming up with one size fits all policies for the country on all these issues.

Are you suggesting we make crossing state lines with the intent to procure an abortion a federal offense?

No, why would you think that?

I am ProChoice with limits. I think that the fetus begins to feel and register pain once the thalamus, cortex, and spinal cord are all connected. At the point the fetus actually has spatial awareness and can sense pain, all bets are off as the woman has had ample time to decide what to do with the fetus before then. The accepted time limit on this, medically, is 22 weeks. In the interest of caution and compassion, I would prefer to see the limit set at 18 weeks.

i disagree as well......women shouldn't be forced to carry to term simply because of where they reside.

I am ProChoice with limits. I think that the fetus begins to feel and register pain once the thalamus, cortex, and spinal cord are all connected. At the point the fetus actually has spatial awareness and can sense pain, all bets are off as the woman has had ample time to decide what to do with the fetus before then. The accepted time limit on this, medically, is 22 weeks. In the interest of caution and compassion, I would prefer to see the limit set at 18 weeks.

Pretty much this.

Back
Top Bottom