• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you pro-life or pro-choice?

• Total voters
It is what it means. If you have an exception then you have a choice... that is Pro-Choice. *shrugs*

Sorry.
Nonsense. If there's an exception for cases of rape, and someone gets pregnant without being raped, she doesn't have a choice.

I could, but I don't want to. That's what pro choice means
that i only want minorities to have choice? Oh, okay. I guess I am pro-choice! who knew?

I am officially pro choice guys. We must allow minorities to abort to make it easier to secure a future for our white children!

Simple question

...and why?

Remember... Pro-Life means no exceptions. If you have any exceptions at all, you are Pro-Choice.

NO, pro-life does not mean no exceptions.
I am going to defend the moderate pro-life position and say there are exigent reasons for an abortion to take place.
I do not accept a binary position when it comes to being against abortion.

Justifiable exceptions​

The moderate pro-life position is also widely shared among the general public. Nearly 75 per cent of Americans think that abortion should be permissible in cases of rape. Since Americans are nearly equally split between pro-choice and pro-life positions, we can assume that many people who are pro-life are among those who think that rape exceptions are justified.

Nonsense. If there's an exception for cases of rape, and someone gets pregnant without being raped, she doesn't have a choice.
Wait. What? Maybe it is me but that sentence is really weird. If she has sex and gets pregnant then she does not have a choice to abort or not?

NO, pro-life does not mean no exceptions.
I am going to defend the moderate pro-life position and say there are exigent reasons for an abortion to take place.
I do not accept a binary position when it comes to being against abortion.

Justifiable exceptions​

The moderate pro-life position is also widely shared among the general public. Nearly 75 per cent of Americans think that abortion should be permissible in cases of rape. Since Americans are nearly equally split between pro-choice and pro-life positions, we can assume that many people who are pro-life are among those who think that rape exceptions are justified.

There is literally no other way to look at it honestly. If you support any exception, then she has a choice. If you support her choice then you are Pro-Choice.

Wait. What? Maybe it is me but that sentence is really weird. If she has sex and gets pregnant then she does not have a choice to abort or not?

You said that someone can't be pro-life if they agree with any exceptions to an outright ban on abortion.

So what part of my comment didn't you understand? If the only exception to an abortion ban is for cases of rape, then a person who gets pregnant any other way cannot legally choose to get an abortion.

You said that someone can't be pro-life if they agree with any exceptions to an outright ban on abortion.

So what part of my comment didn't you understand? If the only exception to an abortion ban is for cases of rape, then a person who gets pregnant any other way cannot legally choose to get an abortion.
This whole comment. You start with a view and you end with the law. Makes zero sense.

that i only want minorities to have choice? Oh, okay. I guess I am pro-choice! who knew?

I am officially pro choice guys. We must allow minorities to abort to make it easier to secure a future for our white children!
Aren't you late for your klan meeting?

I don't understand the rape exception made by pro-lifers. If a women has sex, she has no right to an abortion because life begans at conception. But if she's raped she does have a right to an abortion although the baby is equally innocent in both cases. If abortion after consensual sex is murder, abortion after rape is equally murder. It is the father who is the criminal here, not the fetus.

I just don't understand that exception.

I don't understand the rape exception made by pro-lifers. If a women has sex, she has no right to an abortion because life begans at conception. But if she's raped she does have a right to an abortion although the baby is equally innocent in both cases. If abortion after consensual sex is murder, abortion after rape is equally murder. It is the father who is the criminal here, not the fetus.

That is one of the main points of this thread!! :)

The presumption is she didn't like it (the rape)

There is always exceptions to man’s laws which is why we have judges and lawyers to help sort out circumstances. For instance, we would not call it murder if a woman was told with great certainty that her 4 month old fetus growing outside of the fallopian tubes would kill her and likely the baby, that would not fall under murder. However, that being a rare thing it is something that could happen. Also, God could put the baby in the right place as this happened to someone I know after the faith of a pastor in Christ. Rape is not a good exception what so ever. Having an abortion after rape never changes the fact the rape happened. It doesn’t magically erase the pain and in fact probably adds to the pain for most people. Give the child up for adoption and give it a chance if you cannot cope with raising the child. That’s all. And really who are we trying to fool with saying pro choice, where’s the baby’s choice. You can’t call it pro-choice if there are two individuals and only one gets to decide what happens. Notice everyone that is supposedly pro-choice is alive to be that way.

Simple question?

I’m pro life when it comes to choice.

How is that?

Live and let live.

Simple question

I am pro-life as in I oppose elective abortions.The only exception should be is if multiple doctors not abortion providers have confirmed that carrying the baby to 50% viability will cost the mother her life.

...and why?

Remember... Pro-Life means no exceptions. If you have any exceptions at all, you are Pro-Choice.
Then by that same logic if you do not support abortion all the way till the baby is born then you are not pro-choice.

Boo! Weren’t you once a baby too?
Nope. I don't remember it and I don't believe it. The things that allegedly happened in the alleged year of my alleged birth are a myth as far as I know. My life started when I was 2 or 3.

Simple question

...and why?

It's self-evident that everyone answering the poll is pro-life. Pro-choice answers are performative and disingenuous, since the 'choice' can never be imposed on the poll respondent.

I don't think many people think that. I think, if a woman did not consent to sex, then there is a big argument to be made there was never consent to pregnancy.

Now, am I convinced by the argument? not really. I think a life is a life, and rape doesn't justify a death on top of it.

but I can totally understand why people would see it the other way. People are naturally humanistic, and no one wants to force anyone to suffer the consequences that they never consented to from the beginning. Afterall, what if that happened to us?

but to say that exception isn't understandable...well....what are you trying to sell, exactly?

My position -- we should allow for abortions in the cases where the physical OR mental/emotional harm to the mother is severe. That would include rape, incest or any physical reason why it would be detrimental to her life. Those are rare circumstances when it comes to abortions, but they should be allowed under law before viability.

My position -- we should allow for abortions in the cases where the physical OR mental/emotional harm to the mother is severe. That would include rape, incest or any physical reason why it would be detrimental to her life. Those are rare circumstances when it comes to abortions, but they should be allowed under law before viability.
Why? I don't understand the logic here.

Back
Top Bottom