• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

are you homophobic?

What is your score?

• 0-10

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • 11-20

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • 21-30

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • 31-40

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • 41-50

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • 51-60

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • 61-70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 71-80

• 81-90

• 91-100

• Total voters
F

FallingPianos

Wright, Adams, and Bernat Homophobia Scale

In 1996, as part of his study on homophobia, Dr. Henry Adams and his colleagues at the University of Georgia developed their own "Homophobia Scale" by modifying scales used by other researchers in earlier studies. It's a 25-item questionnaire "designed to measure your thoughts, feelings and behaviors with regards to homosexuality." The instructions stressed: "It is not a test, so there are no right or wrong answers."

Below, FRONTLINE has reproduced this "Wright, Adams, and Bernat Homophobia Scale." It is not a perfect measure of anti-gay feelings or ideas, and is not a predictor of potential for anti-gay violence. [Though this scale was used in a research project designed to test the theory that homophobia is a manifestation of repressed homosexual desire, the scale is not a measure of homosexuality.]

what was your score?

"14 - Your score rates you as 'high-grade non-homophobic.'"

28. I've been having weird dreams that are making me nervous about somebody.

star2589 said:
what was your score?
Where is the 21-20 and the 31-40 option?

My score is 27 - Your score rates you as "non-homophobic."

According to a study homophobia is not a phobia.

http://www.planetout.com/news/article-print.html?2002/06/13/3

Homophobia is a misnomer, according to a group of U.S. psychologists.

The psychologists from the University of Arkansas claim that homophobia is not an actual phobia because it's caused by disgust, not fear or anxiety.

makes since. ^^

I"m not afraid of gay people like I'm afraid of heights, lions, zombies, or tall armed gangsters.

I didn't take the test cause I think I'm getting attached to Teacher, and my alter ego keeps pulling me back.

9 - Your score rates you as "high-grade non-homophobic."

It would be a 0, but I do occasionally use words like "queer" in a (good-natured) teasing manner, around both gay and straight friends who are OK with it.

Mine was 9 also, primarily because I don't know many homosexuals so I haven't had much interaction.

27 - Your score rates you as "non-homophobic."

Reckoned this is about right. Got no problem with homosexuals, but I don't have a lot of strong opinions about how society ought to treat them, either.

I got a 7. What exactly do they mean by "homosexuals get what they deserve"? Depends on what they get I guess...

It seems like it'd be pretty hard to not score non-homophobic or lower.

Kelzie said:
I got a 7. What exactly do they mean by "homosexuals get what they deserve"? Depends on what they get I guess...

I figure at best it meant "homosexuals that get HIV deserve it" or at worst "homosexuals that get the crap beaten out of them deserve it"

star2589 said:
I figure at best it meant "homosexuals that get HIV deserve it" or at worst "homosexuals that get the crap beaten out of them deserve it"

Well, they should have clarified. What about if they won the lottery?

star2589 said:
given the context it seemed obvious to me.

I dunno. I don't think they did a good job on the survey. I mean come on. Who keys homosexual's cars?

Kelzie said:
I dunno. I don't think they did a good job on the survey. I mean come on. Who keys homosexual's cars?

lol true. its only value is in comparing people to eachother, its by no means an objective test of homophobia.

Kelzie said:

Jamesrage told me he did. (joking)

jamesrage said:
According to a study homophobia is not a phobia.

http://www.planetout.com/news/article-print.html?2002/06/13/3

Homophobia is a misnomer, according to a group of U.S. psychologists.

The psychologists from the University of Arkansas claim that homophobia is not an actual phobia because it's caused by disgust, not fear or anxiety.

Uh, how about you open your eyes and realise it varies from person to person?

I daresay the fools who think gay marriage is going to destroy civilised society are pretty damn frightened. :lol:

a non-homophobic 37.....didn't sound so bad until I compared it to you guys. *sigh* looks like I'm the most bigoted person in the thread...

jeez, just because I'd rather have voluptuous supermodel for a roommate than a gay, it figures me as more bigoted....wait a minute, would a lesbian count for having a 'gay' roommate? Hmmm, that bumps me up to 34

Befuddled_Stoner said:
a non-homophobic 37.....didn't sound so bad until I compared it to you guys. *sigh* looks like I'm the most bigoted person in the thread...

I dont think any religious conservatives have taken the poll yet. I first saw this poll on a conservative forum. I was the only one that scored less than 50.

Befuddled_Stoner said:

Hey, your attitude is your attitude. There's no shame in it.

That, and if you look at the posters, the big anti-gay folk have steered clear of this thread. Can't see as I blame them, because they'd only be opening themselves up for scorn.

Befuddled_Stoner said:
wait a minute, would a lesbian count for having a 'gay' roommate? Hmmm, that bumps me up to 34

Don't reckon it counts unless they're the same sex. Sure, if I had a lesbian roommate, there's no way in Hell she'd ever sleep with me; how's that any different from 99% of the population of straight women?

Korimyr the Rat said:
Hey, your attitude is your attitude. There's no shame in it.

That, and if you look at the posters, the big anti-gay folk have steered clear of this thread. Can't see as I blame them, because they'd only be opening themselves up for scorn.

Don't reckon it counts unless they're the same sex. Sure, if I had a lesbian roommate, there's no way in Hell she'd ever sleep with me; how's that any different from 99% of the population of straight women?

Its funny, because I am the gay guy and now I seem to be the most homophobic in the thread. I scored a 48. I attribute that to the fact that I know gay people and I know that there are certain fears to have about them. I will let you guys in on a little secret. Gay men ARE manipulative and they DO have a seedy underside to their culture. They are still men after all and have a tendency to let the blood rush out of their brains to more instinctual parts of their bodies and it does cause some indiscretions. I also know how funny really really gay gay guys can be.

I think I scored such a high score because I make queer jokes...which come on, they are funny...and I show a mistrust for other gay men. Its not to the point that I am uncomfortable around them, but I am very wary and cautious not to get caught up in their games.

28 - Your score rates you as "non-homophobic."

Back
Top Bottom