• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Are you for Trickle Down Capitalism?

Here is the graph of the growth of disparity in the US since Reagan's trickle down policies in the 1980s. Do you see any trickle down?

Reagan was 40 years ago and we have had noting but liberal govt since so you just made the opposite arguments without knowing it. OMG!

So we had the only economy left untouched in the world and it should not have performed well?? Why?? Also, if we let them borrow US dollars to buy from us don't you think that helped our economy boom? Also, if govt collected less of GDP in taxes then than now don't you think that would have made economy boom?

Our economy boomed because of consumer spending driven by wage increases that followed productivity and profits. Wages increases that vanished as soon as Reagan slashed taxes on the top bracket. Coincidence? I don't think so. But we can find out for sure by bringing those punitive taxes back for top earners. Perhaps if we don't coddle the wealthy so much and stop calling them job creators (when they are not) maybe we can cajole them into sharing some of that wealth they will just be giving to the Govt. if they try to take it as income. It is worth a try and god knows we need to do something. The current state of wealth inequality is not sustainable and will end badly for all.

Reagan was 40 years ago and we have had noting but liberal govt since so you just made the opposite arguments without knowing it. OMG!

LOL Really? How many more tax cuts for the wealthy have their been since Reagan?

totally wrong!! Trump just massively cut taxes. He and Republican economists are positive it works. Its been in all the papers

LOL That is the definition of insanity.

if true I'll pay you$10,000. BEt?? or run away with your liberal tail between your legs

Supply side economics says if you reward the producers with perks it will lift all boats. It never has worked like that, not even once.

totally wrong!! Trump just massively cut taxes. He and Republican economists are positive it works. Its been in all the papers

There are no "republican economists" who think it works. There are, to be sure, differences of opinion on various issues between right and left leaning economists. But this is not one of them. If there are any serious economists of any stripe who still think trickle down economics works, please provide links. I would be fascinated to learn about it.

LOL That is the definition of insanity.
you forgot to go to college and take econ 101 so how would you possibly know??????????????

wages go up from the productivity that comes from the supply of new inventions; therefore we must do everything possible to supply new inventions, like cut taxes for the inventor class. Do you understand now?

you forgot to go to college and take econ 101 so how would you possibly know??????????????

wages go up from the productivity that comes from the supply of new inventions;

We were doing that from WWII until 1980- and had the most robust middle class in our history and a booming economy. Then we instituted trickle down and are now losing our middle class. So no, don't understand.

There are no "republican economists" who think it works.

you mean except the presidents economists who just cut taxes, and who know that the supply of new inventions is what increases wages. Did you think they got wage increases in the Stone Age without any inventions to make them more productive? See how easy that was?

There are no "republican economists" who think it works. There are, to be sure, differences of opinion on various issues between right and left leaning economists. But this is not one of them. If there are any serious economists of any stripe who still think trickle down economics works, please provide links. I would be fascinated to learn about it.

dear the president just cut taxes to stimulate the economy!!!!

you mean except the presidents economists who just cut taxes, and who know that the supply of new inventions is what increases wages. Did you think they got wage increases in the Stone Age without any inventions to make them more productive? See how easy that was?

The president's economists have about as much real say in policy as his scientists do on climate change. LOL! After all, dear leader knows more about economics than the economists, more about climate change than all the scientists, and more about the military than all the generals, doesn't he? :lamo

Supply side economics says if you reward the producers with perks it will lift all boats. It never has worked like that, not even once.

1) if a robber lets people keep their own money he not rewarding them.
2) If you tax a venture capitalist he has less ventures and less new products,less productivity increases and no wage increases. 1+1=2

The president's economists have about as much real say in policy as his scientists do on climate change

totally wrong of course Kudlow and Laffer are best friends and on staff. Its in all the papers every day.

1) if a robber lets people keep their own money he not rewarding them.
2) If you tax a venture capitalist he has less ventures and less new products,less productivity increases and no wage increases. 1+1=2

Nope. Let's ask one of them, shall we?

QUOTE]Back in the 1980s and 1990s, tax rates for the rich were far higher, and my percentage rate was in the middle of the pack. According to a theory I sometimes hear, I should have thrown a fit and refused to invest because of the elevated tax rates on capital gains and dividends.

I didn’t refuse, nor did others. I have worked with investors for 60 years and I have yet to see anyone — not even when capital gains rates were 39.9 percent in 1976-77 — shy away from a sensible investment because of the tax rate on the potential gain. People invest to make money, and potential taxes have never scared them off. And to those who argue that higher rates hurt job creation, I would note that a net of nearly 40 million jobs were added between 1980 and 2000. You know what’s happened since then: lower tax rates and far lower job creation...

I know well many of the mega-rich and, by and large, they are very decent people. They love America and appreciate the opportunity this country has given them. Many have joined the Giving Pledge, promising to give most of their wealth to philanthropy. Most wouldn’t mind being told to pay more in taxes as well, particularly when so many of their fellow citizens are truly suffering."
-Warren Buffett

I know. But looking at the DOW over the last year, do you think he succeeded?

a year obviously means nothing Dow up 65%
sicen trump took over. Gee wrong again

totally wrong of course Kudlow and Laffer are best friends and on staff. Its in all the papers every day.

Do you know what Laffer said? It's not about unlimited freedom for the top 1%. What was it? Please educate us.

a year obviously means nothing Dow up 65%
sicen trump took over. Gee wrong again

A year is a lot when you are looking at a track record of only two, and the first was just momentum from the Obama economy.

Nope. Let's ask one of them, shall we?

Start with the fact that I consider Buffett a great investor and have owned his stock on and off.

That being said I find it ironic that a big part of his investment theory is to avoid tax to the extent possible.

I also find it ironic that someone worth about $80 billion, much of which was never taxed and never will be is calling for increasing taxing his income (not wealth) which is totally meaningless to this 80 plus year old. The joke is people who ape is words without understanding the context.

I have yet to see anyone — not even when capital gains rates were 39.9 percent in 1976-77 — shy away from a sensible investment because of the tax rate on the potential gain.

Buffett is mistaken obviously. If govt steals your money you have less to invest in new products; you get lower wages. Ask Bezos, he said most important $10,000 in his life was the $10,000 he needed to start Amazon. You have learned this 42 times. Shall we go for 43?

Start with the fact that I consider Buffett a great investor and have owned his stock on and off.

That being said I find it ironic that a big part of his investment theory is to avoid tax to the extent possible.

I also find it ironic that someone worth about $80 billion, much of which was never taxed and never will be is calling for increasing taxing his income (not wealth) which is totally meaningless to this 80 plus year old. The joke is people who ape is words without understanding the context.

agree! What he says is to trick the public so he won't be seen as the nasty 1%. Its good PR. He admitted once on CNBC he put it all Gates Foundation so govt won't get it and waste it when he croaks.

The point is not that he isn't one of the top 1% now. It's that he is telling us what the thinking in his circle of friends of investors is. When you have $80 billion dollars, a few percentage points of taxes is not going to mean much to you in terms of your lifestyle or your investments. But it does mean a lot in terms of how many more schools you can build, neighborhood health clinics, foster care for orphaned children, etc...

Back
Top Bottom