• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you for Taxing Churches?

Spunkylama

Requested Profile Delete. Bye
Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Are you for Taxing Churches?​

renderTimingPixel.png

This is 100% a hill I will die on, now I wonder, do you support this? I always assumed Democrats supported this but I've never heard Democrats talk about it, never a bill, never a mention by modern politicians. Do you support the Taxation of Churches?

The ones that are multi-million dollar enterprises? Yes. They aren't churches -- they're rock concerts with a feel-good message included.

Most churches that aren't like that? No.

renderTimingPixel.png

This is 100% a hill I will die on, now I wonder, do you support this? I always assumed Democrats supported this but I've never heard Democrats talk about it, never a bill, never a mention by modern politicians. Do you support the Taxation of Churches?
If a church turns a profit, then yes. Especially the "mega churches."

renderTimingPixel.png

Speaking as an atheist who used to be a member of an oppressed religious minority from Iran, my answer is a flat-out emphatic "NO". The power to tax is the power to destroy. Taxing authority can and almost certainly would be used to persecute religious minorities and shut down places of communal fellowship and organization.

There are better places from which to squeeze money. Religious institutions must not be one of them.

If youre going to tax everything else, why stop at churches?

renderTimingPixel.png

Yes.

renderTimingPixel.png

NO. That said, I would be for auditing churches along a strict set of guidelines to be certain they are churches and not quasi-political organizations or profit centers. There also should be some type of maximum compensation guidelines. It is not a church funds are used too much to enrich the pastor and/or staff and not enough to carry out non-political church missions. Man is inherently corrupt, and will certainly (and has) corrupt the church if left unchecked.

renderTimingPixel.png

Joel-Osteen.jpg

Churches should be proactive in requesting the revocation of the automatic 501c status, and paying tax like the rest of the world.

The ones that are multi-million dollar enterprises? Yes. They aren't churches -- they're rock concerts with a feel-good message included.

Most churches that aren't like that? No.
I'm pretty much on board with you on this one, Josie. The little, very conservative churches in the small, poor Okie town I grew up in has a church on just about every corner. Other than the main Baptist Church, the Catholic Church, and the Methodist Church, almost all of the other churches have very small congregations, and have trouble raising enough money to keep the lights on.

When a church is a church I say no, when it crosses the line, and the pulpit turns into a power ego mega con game, it should be investigated, fined, and shut down!

When a church is a church I say no, when it crosses the line, and the pulpit turns into a power ego mega con game, it should be investigated, fined, and shut down!

Why shut down?

When you are no longer using the pulpit for the right reason.

So you wouldn’t want them taxed, you’d go right to shutting them down? Seems extreme. If people want to pay to watch David Miscavige talk about how he’s the greatest gift to mankind, they should have the freedom to do so.

So you wouldn’t want them taxed, you’d go right to shutting them down? Seems extreme. If people want to pay to watch David Miscavige talk about how he’s the greatest gift to mankind, they should have the freedom to do so.
Well, if you don't think Jim Jones was extreme, then what can I say. I said INVESTIGATE first.

renderTimingPixel.png

Which method(s) of taxation do you have in mind? IMHO, churches should be treated no differently than any other private, non-profit organization for taxation purposes.

renderTimingPixel.png

All or none. Tax churches, charitable organization since most churches do charity work, non-profit organizations, etc. I don’t think picking and choosing is right. All or none. I don’t care which is done, but all or none.

renderTimingPixel.png

Separation of Church and State, no tax? This is subject to rules and regulations which are sometimes violated. In that case there should be penalties.

Churches should be proactive in requesting the revocation of the automatic 501c status, and paying tax like the rest of the world.
Most churches provide a huge sum of support for charitable causes above and beyond just their ministries. The care for the poor, sick, hungry and homeless with these funds they receive and the do it in America and across the globe.

renderTimingPixel.png

They should pay taxes just like any other business: Property taxes on the property they own, and income taxes on any income they make.

Most churches provide a huge sum of support for charitable causes above and beyond just their ministries. The care for the poor, sick, hungry and homeless with these funds they receive and the do it in America and across the globe.
I know. I often attend a church that sits in a very small community, and several members of the community depend on the church for meals and visits. But that support should be funded by non-deductible indivdiual funding.

Also, revoking the IRS 501c relationship frees the church to do and say what they want without any government strings.

Back
Top Bottom