• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you for Taxing Churches?

Seems illogical. There should be no profit to share.
They won't call it a profit, but it's a profit. They'll use phrasing like "income over expense" or something like that. Plus if a tentative balance yields a "profit", there's nothing to say the entity can't give some of it's tentative "profit" to employees to eliminate that income over expense.

Have you ever visited anyone in the hospice care ward? They very much do. In fact, I've NEVER heard a doctor or nurse reject prayer for either themselves or a patient. Atheism is not popular with anyone dying, especially with it is a child.
Speak for yourself. I will be pissed off if anyone prays over me while I'm dying. In fact, I've made arrangements to not have a religious funeral service or burial. I tell people to simply throw a wild party, have fun, and enjoy life while Celebrating the end of mine. Booze and jazz music is a must for the party.

No. The power to tax is the power to destroy.

Many small churches can barely pay the bills and keep the lights on. Taxes would close the doors.

My church is solvent, but it would cut into what we spend on charitable works, like supporting the halfway house for recovering addicts.
for federal taxes for individuals, there is this thing known as personal deduction'. The same principle can be applied to church's, at a much higher level. Also, those fund that are actually used for charitable works can be a deduction. Have the 'personal church deduction' be high enough so a small church that can barely pay it's bill will not be effective, and the 'charitable works' deduction will make sure that charity works won't be affected.

for federal taxes for individuals, there is this thing known as personal deduction'. The same principle can be applied to church's, at a much higher level. Also, those fund that are actually used for charitable works can be a deduction. Have the 'personal church deduction' be high enough so a small church that can barely pay it's bill will not be effective, and the 'charitable works' deduction will make sure that charity works won't be affected.

Until at some later date that is changed for the worse, as would be nearly inevitable. Until one party or the other decides to punish churches that don't support it, and finds some excuse to alter the tax code accordingly.

Until at some later date that is changed for the worse, as would be nearly inevitable. Until one party or the other decides to punish churches that don't support it, and finds some excuse to alter the tax code accordingly.
Those 'if then maybe's are just that, 'if then maybes'

Those 'if then maybe's are just that, 'if then maybes'

The question "If Gov is given this power, will it be abused at some point?" is ALWAYS a legitmate question... because all too often the answer is "Yes".

The question "If Gov is given this power, will it be abused at some point?" is ALWAYS a legitmate question... because all too often the answer is "Yes".

I disagree on this. The Churches power is already abused by many churches.

I disagree on this. The Churches power is already abused by many churches.

This is case-in-point: those advocating taxing churches are chiefly motivated by negative views towards churches. Once that door is open and the precedent established, that same motivation can be turned to punitive measures.

Not convinced.

This is case-in-point: those advocating taxing churches are chiefly motivated by negative views towards churches. Once that door is open and the precedent established, that same motivation can be turned to punitive measures.

Not convinced.

I am sure Joel Olsteen celebrates your viewpoint. Or any of the other megachurches and televangelists.

Back
Top Bottom