• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you for Taxing Churches?

That may be true of your local church, but in the grifter churches it all goes to the pastor. If you doubt this, watch the video above. Do you think that guy would share his 35,000 square foot home with a homeless family?

As much as I disdain such individuals, allowing exceptions to the rule opens the door to later broadening the taxation to "all churches that we don't like".

Yes. Thread needs poll.

No. The power to tax is the power to destroy.

Many small churches can barely pay the bills and keep the lights on. Taxes would close the doors.

My church is solvent, but it would cut into what we spend on charitable works, like supporting the halfway house for recovering addicts.

My solution to that is if churches adhere to the rules of a non-profit organization, don't tax them.

No. The power to tax is the power to destroy.

Many small churches can barely pay the bills and keep the lights on. Taxes would close the doors.

My church is solvent, but it would cut into what we spend on charitable works, like supporting the halfway house for recovering addicts.
That's what I was getting at, if it's a small church like the one you're talking about, make em pay 50 bucks a year... or even nothing. Those are just churchy churches, not grand stadiums with con men who fly their own private jets and bilk grandmothers out of their life savings for a plastic envelope of "holy water!" from "deh birf-playce of BayBay Jeebus!".

I don't see any sense in taxing the crap out of a small neighborhood house of worship where the parson's daily bread is literally in the hands of a few dozen faithful.

It wasn't meant to be mean spirited, it's a move to rein in abuses and excesses.
Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

In my opinion, 501 rules should be repaired to only allow unbiased educational organizations to be tax free. This, from an agnostic.

Yes, absolutely. But give them deductions for any charity work they undertake.
Is feeding the hungry the Word of GOD charitable? And who is the church? Buildings don't pay taxes...

No. But normal business expenses would be treated as with any other business.

The revenue collecting entity.

Property taxes.
How about hospitals? Have you ever received a bill for a visit to the Emergency Ward in this day and age?

My solution to that is if churches adhere to the rules of a non-profit organization, don't tax them.
The rub with your solution is that the IRS identifies the advancement of religion as an exempt purposes in its language to determine whether or not an entity may or may not qualify for non-profit status. For this reason, churches are a default non-profit, not based on whether or not they report a net income but based on a quality as advancing their religion. In other words, churches non-profit status doesn't hinge on what they do with the revenue received as much as whether or not they exhibit the advancement of religion.

"The exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3) are charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition, and preventing cruelty to children or animals. The term charitable is used in its generally accepted legal sense and includes relief of the poor, the distressed, or the underprivileged; advancement of religion; advancement of education or science; erecting or maintaining public buildings, monuments, or works; lessening the burdens of government; lessening neighborhood tensions; eliminating prejudice and discrimination; defending human and civil rights secured by law; and combating community deterioration and juvenile delinquency."

Are you for Taxing Churches?​

renderTimingPixel.png

This is 100% a hill I will die on, now I wonder, do you support this? I always assumed Democrats supported this but I've never heard Democrats talk about it, never a bill, never a mention by modern politicians. Do you support the Taxation of Churches?

Yes. A thousand times, yes.

renderTimingPixel.png

This is 100% a hill I will die on, now I wonder, do you support this? I always assumed Democrats supported this but I've never heard Democrats talk about it, never a bill, never a mention by modern politicians. Do you support the Taxation of Churches?

Tax churches for the real estate they hold, just like everyone else.

When America becomes more secular then we'll start hearing it more. The problem is this subject hits on two VERY controversial issues at once: religion and taxes.

The rub with your solution is that the IRS identifies the advancement of religion as an exempt purposes in its language to determine whether or not an entity may or may not qualify for non-profit status. For this reason, churches are a default non-profit, not based on whether or not they report a net income but based on a quality as advancing their religion. In other words, churches non-profit status doesn't hinge on what they do with the revenue received as much as whether or not they exhibit the advancement of religion.

"The exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3) are charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition, and preventing cruelty to children or animals. The term charitable is used in its generally accepted legal sense and includes relief of the poor, the distressed, or the underprivileged; advancement of religion; advancement of education or science; erecting or maintaining public buildings, monuments, or works; lessening the burdens of government; lessening neighborhood tensions; eliminating prejudice and discrimination; defending human and civil rights secured by law; and combating community deterioration and juvenile delinquency."

Yes, but that can be changed. I am calling for not treating religious organizations as more special than any other non profit organization.

renderTimingPixel.png

Depends.

How wealthy is the church?

How much do they take in?

What do they do with their wealth?

Yes, but that can be changed. I am calling for not treating religious organizations as more special than any other non profit organization.
Could be changed. But the IRS would need to re-think the basis on how all non-profits are initially accepted and the basis on their allowed continuation. Instead of a 501c being issued based on some exempted category, you're proposing we give the IRS the ability to disallow status on something as ambiguous as management abilities. I mean, we know it when we see it (some mega churches for sure), but how do we quantify it. That's the question. And BTW, there are some really, really garbage secular non-profits out there that don't get the attention that some of these mega-churches get.

Right now, those distinctions are so, so far beyond the ability of the IRS right now it's not even funny.

Could be changed. But the IRS would need to re-think the basis on how all non-profits are initially accepted and the basis on their allowed continuation. Instead of a 501c being issued based on some exempted category, you're proposing we give the IRS the ability to disallow status on something as ambiguous as management abilities. I mean, we know it when we see it (some mega churches for sure), but how do we quantify it. That's the question. And BTW, there are some really, really garbage secular non-profits out there that don't get the attention that some of these mega-churches get.

Right now, those distinctions are so, so far beyond the ability of the IRS right now it's not even funny.

I don't know the reasoning behind treating religious organizations as different from other non-profits, so I can't really comment on it. I am not asking for the IRS to do anything differently than they do now regarding non-profits in general, except for eliminating religion as a special category of non-profit. But without knowing the reason for that category, I don't know the difficulties involved. The fact that there are both garbage religious and non religious non-profits does not change that.

I don't know the reasoning behind treating religious organizations as different from other non-profits, so I can't really comment on it. I am not asking for the IRS to do anything differently than they do now regarding non-profits in general, except for eliminating religion as a special category of non-profit. But without knowing the reason for that category, I don't know the difficulties involved. The fact that there are both garbage religious and non religious non-profits does not change that.
Yeah, definitely not for that, anymore than I'm for eliminating "fostering national or international amateur sports competition" as a special category. In fact, there are no "special categories". There are only "purposes" that the general population agrees should has some value to our society, and in turn, should be exempt from Federal income tax.

Yeah, definitely not for that, anymore than I'm for eliminating "fostering national or international amateur sports competition" as a special category. In fact, there are no "special categories". There are only "purposes" that the general population agrees should has some value to our society, and in turn, should be exempt from Federal income tax.

Well, whatever they call it, I would rather simplify it then worry about interpreting a purpose. Base it on them not operating for a profit.

Well, whatever they call it, I would rather simplify it then worry about interpreting a purpose. Base it on them not operating for a profit.
It's pretty easy for an entity to not operate as a profit when they can direct revenues into executive payroll. Or profit sharing. Or land owned by the sister-in-law of a VP of the real estate that the entity works out of. Or a thousand other expenditures that enrich families that are attached to the non-profit in a thousand ways.

Many 501c's distribute as low as 20% of total revenue to the actual purpose that they applied for and may have multiple 6-figure salaries as part of their management team. Maybe they're shady, maybe they're awful managers of the entity. Again, it's just asking too much from the IRS to navigate those distinctions.

Hospitals are not promoting a religious belief.
Have you ever visited anyone in the hospice care ward? They very much do. In fact, I've NEVER heard a doctor or nurse reject prayer for either themselves or a patient. Atheism is not popular with anyone dying, especially with it is a child.

Have you ever visited anyone in the hospice care ward? They very much do. In fact, I've NEVER heard a doctor or nurse reject prayer for either themselves or a patient. Atheism is not popular with anyone dying, especially with it is a child.

Hospice is not the same as a hospital. Atheists die as atheists all the time.

It's pretty easy for an entity to not operate as a profit when they can direct revenues into executive payroll. Or profit sharing. Or land owned by the sister-in-law of a VP of the real estate that the entity works out of. Or a thousand other expenditures that enrich families that are attached to the non-profit in a thousand ways.

Many 501c's distribute as low as 20% of total revenue to the actual purpose that they applied for and may have multiple 6-figure salaries as part of their management team. Maybe they're shady, maybe they're awful managers of the entity. Again, it's just asking too much from the IRS to navigate those distinctions.

How can a non profit have profit sharing?

Religious predators often seek the vulnerable.

Back
Top Bottom