• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you for Taxing Churches?

Are you for Taxing Churches?​

renderTimingPixel.png

This is 100% a hill I will die on, now I wonder, do you support this? I always assumed Democrats supported this but I've never heard Democrats talk about it, never a bill, never a mention by modern politicians. Do you support the Taxation of Churches?
of course......after all what doe a so-called preacher need millions of personal riches for and why do they need a church that seats thousands........why not give all that money to the poor or the sick........

of course......after all what doe a so-called preacher need millions of personal riches for and why do they need a church that seats thousands........why not give all that money to the poor or the sick........

That's not how most churches are, though....

Is "microphone" a metaphor or are you speaking literally?

If his god hasn't given him the ability to fill the room without electrical boosting, never mind cameras, then it's a moneymaking scam.

If his god hasn't given him the ability to fill the room without electrical boosting, never mind cameras, then it's a moneymaking scam.

So the podunk church in a town of 5,000 people is a "moneymaking scam" because the pastor uses a microphone to speak to his flock of 40 people?

Last edited:
They already tax all the parishioners. They already tax all the ministers who earn a salary. They already tax organists who earn salaries. And the very same goes for choir directors, maintenance workers, youth pastors, etc... You shouldn't tax a sanctuary anymore than taxing the Supreme Court Building In Washington DC.

When a church is a church I say no, when it crosses the line, and the pulpit turns into a power ego mega con game, it should be investigated, fined, and shut down!
And who determines what that line is? from a practical poitn of view, how do you take the power ego mega con games ones, and not penalize the small, true believing churches?

And who determines what that line is? from a practical poitn of view, how do you take the power ego mega con games ones, and not penalize the small, true believing churches?
Good question, above my pay grade

Good question, above my pay grade
Fair enough. I would think some kind of progressive tax, where the 'bottom' of the church income is fairly high, and the more money they rake in, the more they get taxed, similar to the income tax. What I don't want to do is drive the poor churches out of business. I also don't want to let places the Joel Olsteen pretend to be a church to have him live high on the hog tax free.

renderTimingPixel.png

This is 100% a hill I will die on, now I wonder, do you support this? I always assumed Democrats supported this but I've never heard Democrats talk about it, never a bill, never a mention by modern politicians. Do you support the Taxation of Churches?
Yes, absolutely they should pay their fair share of taxes, on a progressive scale based on income.

I am for taxing any organization that is not operated as a non-profit. Only non-profits should be tax exempt as long as they adhere strictly to the legally defined rules of a non-profit organization. Being a religious organization in and of itself should afford no special tax exempt treatment or any other kind of special treatment not given to any other organizations of like minded people.

renderTimingPixel.png

Yes, after a certain amount of profit, along with mosques, synagogues, temples, etc.

renderTimingPixel.png

I see the principal of having a separation between church and state as meaning that there should be no taxes.

Government should not interfere in religious institutions or advocate for this or that institution. At the same time religious institutions should not interfere in government or advocate for this or that politician.

The obvious caveat for government interference is obvious stuff that applies everywhere like zoning laws, building codes, etc.

Things like institutions saying “your morals should be this” is fine and it’s fine that individual voters individually decide how to live those morals at the voting booth. So long as the morals being advocated for do not promote violence or espionage.

If the pastor takes off their frock and is hanging out a the football game with some member of congregation and the pastor expresses a like for candidate x, that’s ok since they are off the clock.

Any church owned business should be taxes as a business though (or according to however it’s incorporated but should be a separate legal entity), including the little coffee shops and book stores you see everywhere inside churches these days.

Last edited:
The ones that are multi-million dollar enterprises? Yes. They aren't churches -- they're rock concerts with a feel-good message included.

Most churches that aren't like that? No.
....while I understand the sentiment, I have zero trust in the ability of the Federal Government to reliably distinguish between "true" churches and "not true" churches, and, am pretty sure that ability to distinguish would get immediately weaponized ("Churches who don't recognize the rights of LGBTQPQRSTUV+ Americans Aren't Real Churches") for partisan purposes :(

The ones that are multi-million dollar enterprises? Yes. They aren't churches -- they're rock concerts with a feel-good message included.

Most churches that aren't like that? No.
Who makes up the list?

EDIT: I see that @cpwill has already addressed my question….

Edit/Edit and he got a off brand like…alert @American

....while I understand the sentiment, I have zero trust in the ability of the Federal Government to reliably distinguish between "true" churches and "not true" churches, and, am pretty sure that ability to distinguish would get immediately weaponized ("Churches who don't recognize the rights of LGBTQPQRSTUV+ Americans Aren't Real Churches") for partisan purposes :(
Rather than worry about if they are 'true' or 'not true', treat them all equally. Give a progressive tax on them, starting at 600K and going up from there. That means that the smaller churches won't have to pay anything, but the mega churches can be taxed up the gazoo

Rather than worry about if they are 'true' or 'not true', treat them all equally. Give a progressive tax on them, starting at 600K and going up from there. That means that the smaller churches won't have to pay anything, but the mega churches can be taxed up the gazoo
I suppose you would include all the synagogues as well?

No. The only thing less trustworthy than the pastor of a rich megachurch is a politician.

Are you for Taxing Churches? This is 100% a hill I will die on, now I wonder, do you support this? I always assumed Democrats supported this but I've never heard Democrats talk about it, never a bill, never a mention by modern politicians. Do you support the Taxation of Churches?​

All churches should be required to file a publicly available tax return and be fairly taxed. Two very good reasons. Churches absorb their share of street lighting, police protection, potable water, sewers, garbage disposal, structural inspections, sidewalk maintenance, zoning protection, city attorney's legal support when needed. Taxing keeps them from accumulating wealth and donating to political parties which in turn keeps them from gaining the political power to establish their political dogma as law. There are certain "christian" denominations that are abusing political power and they can do that because they have a lot of money.

If a denomination or individual church acquires a fortune it should be spent on good works or spiritual buildings not on passing laws that allow them to dip into federal funding and bribing politicians. Corruption in God's house is disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom