• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you for or against a four-day work/school week?

Should we change to a four day work/school week?

• We should change to a four day school week, but not a four day work week

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Unbeknownst

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Some relevant information:

(Information on the four-day work week)

(Information on the four-day school week)

I understand that in the old days, people regularly worked 6 days a week and then really rested on Sunday.

So in this brave new digital world, maybe it is time to work fewer days than five.

Many nurses now work two days on and two days off, I believe.

When they come back, they are refreshed.

Everything is a-changing in this digital world.

Why not the number of work days, too?

I'm all for a 4-day work week. I struggle working full time to get "adulting" done when I'm at work all day. Hate taking time off to run errands, or go to the doctor or whatever, but working 5 days, morning to late afternoon, you don't have much of a choice.

But yes 5-day school week.

I've worked 4 10s several times, I like it much better.
4 10s was the norm on most of our distribution jobs for quite awhile. For me, it was great. A lot of crews didn't like the lack of overtime though.

Definitely for. As the data shows, workers are more productive and happier with 4 day work weeks. but we live in land of the greedy and the corporate scum and shareholders won't have it, they want people working longer hours for less money

Definitely for. As the data shows, workers are more productive and happier with 4 day work weeks. but we live in land of the greedy and the corporate scum and shareholders won't have it, they want people working longer hours for less money
In my experience, it was mostly the workers who pushed for nonsense like 6-10s, 6-12s, crap like that.

If it's only a 4 day worker week but a 5 day school week who teaches the kids on that 5th day?

A teacher? I mean - not everyone gets Friday off. You just said "4 day work week." Shuffle the days off, so not everyone is off on the same day.

I don't know, really. I got so excited of the idea of a day off with no kids in tow that I wasn't thinking clearly.

IMHO,10 hours of classroom time, plus a lunch break is too long for the attention span of school children. Add to that any homework and/or commuting time and it would easily exceed 12 hours/day.

The idea of having 4 day workweeks (my poll choice) may present problems for some - with working household members being away from home longer than their children in school, but that can also happen now.

If it's only a 4 day worker week but a 5 day school week who teaches the kids on that 5th day?

Obviously, some professions (like teachers) would still work 5 day weeks.

When I worked at a golf course the maintenance staff was divided into two groups with two week schedules (offset by one week): in week one (for their group) each employee would work four 8 hour days (Monday through Thursday), a 4 hour day (Friday) and two 2 hour days (Saturday and Sunday), in week two (for their group) each employee would work five 8 hour days (Monday through Friday) and have Saturday and Sunday off. This allowed 7 day/week coverage without paying anyone overtime.

Last edited:
A teacher? I mean - not everyone gets Friday off. You just said "4 day work week." Shuffle the days off, so not everyone is off on the same day.

I don't know, really. I got so excited of the idea of a day off with no kids in tow that I wasn't thinking clearly.

My wife worked in a 4 day school for a while, the 5th day ended up being optional and it was just a babysitting job.

Maybe this should be an issue between employer and employee? I worked for a time at a company that works nine hours Monday through Thursdays every week and then eight hours one Friday and had the next off. It was very popular.

My wife worked in a 4 day school for a while, the 5th day ended up being optional and it was just a babysitting job.

Would need to keep it structured where it's still a full teaching day, I would think.

I think that five/two has been the norm for so long that it would be chaotic to try to change across the board.

For many jobs I think it could work. Much of what is done could be done quicker but the slog of the week reduces productivity. For others, maybe not so much. I don't think it could be mandated across the board.

We should move away from fixed work days to more flexible schedules. Kids and parents need the predictability of school days although I do think summer vacation needs to be shortened by a lot.

Yeah cause teachers have it so well we really need to knock them down a peg or 2

Not as bad as the deal for school bus drivers with a 4 day work week - they would simply get another day off with no pay.

For many jobs I think it could work. Much of what is done could be done quicker but the slog of the week reduces productivity. For others, maybe not so much. I don't think it could be mandated across the board.
I allowed a trial of a four day work week for my department (large department in a large company) and it was a disaster! If everyone in the entire company and all your customers and partners aren't doing the same thing it doesn't work! Throw in different time zones!!!!!

Ten hour days onsite would eat any free time I had for most of the week. I hope that we aren't forced into these ****ed up schedules that seem to be popping up now that unions are toothless. I had one interview years ago in which most of the conversation consisted of telling me about this great schedule where you work ten hour days for one week and then ten hour nights the next. That sounded like a guaranteed divorce. **** all that.

Not as bad as the deal for school bus drivers with a 4 day work week - they would simply get another day off with no pay.

Only if the school was greedy and pocketed the extra money instead of giving them a raise but that would never happen....

Ten hour days onsite would eat any free time I had for most of the week. I hope that we aren't forced into these ****ed up schedules that seem to be popping up now that unions are toothless. I had one interview years ago in which most of the conversation consisted of telling me about this great schedule where you work ten hour days for one week and then ten hour nights the next. That sounded like a guaranteed divorce. **** all that.

Instead or working 9-5 you work 7-5. That doesn't cut out too much free time

I allowed a trial of a four day work week for my department (large department in a large company) and it was a disaster! If everyone in the entire company and all your customers and partners aren't doing the same thing it doesn't work! Throw in different time zones!!!!!

Another alternate schedule (which I once worked) was four 9 hour days, one 8 hour day and the weekend off in week one, followed by four 9 hour days and a 3 day weekend off in week two.

Back
Top Bottom