• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you feeling it?

tech30528

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Don't want to make this political here, it is what it is like it or not. What I want to know is how many of us are feeling a DIRECT impact from the shutdown.

For me it is zero. In fact today we saw a convoy of military vehicles going to Mount Yonah from the Army Ranger station in Dahlonega for rappeling training. The mountain used to be closed to the public but opened for hiking a couple of years ago, I can see it from my house and regularly use it for training for "my" recon team for CERT. Extreme terrain and beautiful vacation homes and rentals, pretty remote, awesome views, great potential to get lost, hurt or killed. :lol:

I may go hiking in the National Forest this weekend because there will be no one there to collect my $3 parking fee. I might even catch a trout or two and not tell anyone.;)

NONE - I'd like to see it stay the way it is so we, the nation, can spend a little less money for a change.

It allows me to go to a women's lib get-together and say "damn Republicans and their shutdown" to get free hippie-chick strange.

Then I nut on her face, super-glue a picture of Tucker Carlson on the back of her head, and leave.

It was close, but hubby didn't get furloughed whereas a lot of people he knew up at the base did. He was sequestered for a couple days during the summer but Orrin Hatch did some fancy footwork and got his department funded. So his job is safe for now. Doesn't exactly make me feel like celebrating though knowing that he could still get furloughed if the impasse in congress outlasts the money in the Treasury and they can't borrow anymore.

When I call the IRS to make sure that my client has all of the information they need to be compliant with the tax law and the IRS is closed.....yeah, I feel it. Considering that we have less than 2 weeks before the due date for personal extensions......

When I call the IRS to make sure that my client has all of the information they need to be compliant with the tax law and the IRS is closed.....yeah, I feel it. Considering that we have less than 2 weeks before the due date for personal extensions......

I stopped doing a lot of extensions since I got tired of saying, "now this isn't a six month interest-free loan...".

Fortunately most of my clients get a refund.

Don't want to make this political here, it is what it is like it or not. What I want to know is how many of us are feeling a DIRECT impact from the shutdown.

For me it is zero. In fact today we saw a convoy of military vehicles going to Mount Yonah from the Army Ranger station in Dahlonega for rappeling training. The mountain used to be closed to the public but opened for hiking a couple of years ago, I can see it from my house and regularly use it for training for "my" recon team for CERT. Extreme terrain and beautiful vacation homes and rentals, pretty remote, awesome views, great potential to get lost, hurt or killed. :lol:

I may go hiking in the National Forest this weekend because there will be no one there to collect my $3 parking fee. I might even catch a trout or two and not tell anyone.;)

I work for a large plumbing supply store. We feed a lot of our supplies to Los Alamos National Labs. I asked our main sales guy who does most of our business with LANL and he said LANL has about a 2 to 3 week buffer of cash and after that... the crunch begins.

Last edited:
It allows me to go to a women's lib get-together and say "damn Republicans and their shutdown" to get free hippie-chick strange.

Then I nut on her face, super-glue a picture of Tucker Carlson on the back of her head, and leave.

Is looking at Tucker Carlson what enables you to get your nut off?

I stopped doing a lot of extensions since I got tired of saying, "now this isn't a six month interest-free loan...".

Fortunately most of my clients get a refund.

Must be nice. I still have about 20 clients that need to bring in their information, one that dropped off today and about a dozen that will need transcripts before I can do a reasonable return.

Aside from that I'm starting to get used to saying "$20k isn't really that bad considering how much you brought in. Keep in mind that if you'd actually made those estimates it wouldn't be that bad."

Must be nice. I still have about 20 clients that need to bring in their information, one that dropped off today and about a dozen that will need transcripts before I can do a reasonable return.

Aside from that I'm starting to get used to saying "$20k isn't really that bad considering how much you brought in. Keep in mind that if you'd actually made those estimates it wouldn't be that bad."

I don't envy you. I had one client that took an early IRA withdrawl and had to eat the 10% penalty, along with the normal taxation. I thought he was going to pass out.

He needed an extension. :D

You try too hard.

I like it, less government more individual freedom.

Need more of the federal government to shut down.

Just out of curiosity, how many of the White House staff have been sent home, anyone know ?

Re-read the order of events.

You're the one carrying around a Tucker Carlson picture in case you have sex. Apparently, regarldess of the order, sex and Tucker Carlson go hand in hand to you?

You're the one carrying around a Tucker Carlson picture in case you have sex. Apparently, regarldess of the order, sex and Tucker Carlson go hand in hand to you?

You are the anti-humor.

Only a liberal would look at government spending as "costing" people money - yeah the far too many govt employees but for the other 99%ers out there its a SAVINGS.

So you believe that 99% of the people in the United States either don't work for the government or don't work for a compay that has a contract with a government agency or supply a company that has a government contract... you are so far partisan that you don't know the truth.

It hasn't affected me much. Honestly, the only thing that I am being affected by is that the commissary is closed, so my cheap grocery bill is kaput until this is over. I don't even like complaining about it, though, because about half my neighborhood works at FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) and they are all home, worrying about where their next paycheck is coming from.

Well they say 800,000 are impacted, and 1% is over 3 million. Duh

So you believe that 99% of the people in the United States either don't work for the government or don't work for a compay that has a contract with a government agency or supply a company that has a government contract... you are so far partisan that you don't know the truth.

Well they say 800,000 are impacted, and 1% is over 3 million. Duh

So you just pulled it out of your ass. Thanks for verifying.

800,000 is the number of federal employees booted during this shutdown. That says nothing of the businesses that contract with the government. That's a whole whole WHOLE lot of other people. And then the downstream effect of all these people working for businesses contracting with the government plus the 800,000 federal employees you pointed out not spending money in their communities.

Tomarrow morning I will be told if drill has been cancled for this month. If it has then I will be able to work over the weekend and make an extra $400-$600. I just loove a good shut-down.

My employer primeraly performs government contract work. We're steeming ahead like nothing happened.

Did you forget that there are 51 governments in the United States? Only one of them shut down.

My employer primeraly performs government contract work. We're steeming ahead like nothing happened.

Did you forget that there are 51 governments in the United States? Only one of them shut down.

My company sells to city, county, state and federal agencies. It's going to hurt.

And the longer it goes on the more it will have a downstream effect on the more local governments.

Tell that to the 1000's of families that will go without paychecks this week. Just don't tell them where you are going hiking.

Back
Top Bottom