• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you feeling it?

I got out of having to go to drill in North Carolina this month because my unit decided that they were going to forgo paying for hotel rooms (again :roll:), and I assume that some of my pay and the paperwork I have going through the system right now will probably be held up for a while.

Apart from that, however; no issues so far.

Last edited:
It allows me to go to a women's lib get-together and say "damn Republicans and their shutdown" to get free hippie-chick strange.

Then I nut on her face, super-glue a picture of Tucker Carlson on the back of her head, and leave.

I like your style.

I like it, less government more individual freedom.

Need more of the federal government to shut down.

Just out of curiosity, how many of the White House staff have been sent home, anyone know ?

From what I heard on the radio this morning only 15 of the 90 White House butlers are working today.

From what I heard on the radio this morning only 15 of the 90 White House butlers are working today.
I do hope the one who irons Obama's newspapers is in...

I wouldn't want him to suffer!!

Tell that to the 1000's of families that will go without paychecks this week. Just don't tell them where you are going hiking.

It'll be OK, I carry in the mountains. ;)

There is an upside to this though. At some point the government will be running again. In all of the 17 times this has happened before people have received their back pay. Like I said, most people are used to living paycheck to paycheck and are buried in debt. Hopefully this will be a wakeup call for them.

But let's not kid ourselves here. Missing a payment is not the end of the world. Before I took the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace course, and even in the following years as I worked my way out of debt I missed a lot of payments. I made arrangements with my business landlord for rent I couldn't pay on time. I missed equipment lease payments, nobody came to take my equipment. I did have a home foreclosed but it took over a year. Nothing like a little hardship to instill meaningful change. Today I have no debt, no credit cards, no car payments, no mortgage, and don't pay any interest to anyone. I also have an emergency fund. So if I were to miss a couple of paychecks we would be just fine. The shutdown has happened before and it will happen again. People should consider that and prepare for it, especially if they are exposed.

NONE - I'd like to see it stay the way it is so we, the nation, can spend a little less money for a change.

My dad is feeling it because he isn't allowed to work. I'm feeling it because it is also my paycheck being affected at my job. Other than that, no, life goes on.

Don't want to make this political here, it is what it is like it or not. What I want to know is how many of us are feeling a DIRECT impact from the shutdown.

For me it is zero. In fact today we saw a convoy of military vehicles going to Mount Yonah from the Army Ranger station in Dahlonega for rappeling training. The mountain used to be closed to the public but opened for hiking a couple of years ago, I can see it from my house and regularly use it for training for "my" recon team for CERT. Extreme terrain and beautiful vacation homes and rentals, pretty remote, awesome views, great potential to get lost, hurt or killed. :lol:

I may go hiking in the National Forest this weekend because there will be no one there to collect my $3 parking fee. I might even catch a trout or two and not tell anyone.;)

I heard it reported yesterday that this federal "shutdown" only actually affects 15% of the federal government services and programs and that the other 85% continues as if nothing happened.

In addition, it was also reported that the federal government takes in about $250 billion each month in tax and other revenue and the service costs on the debt are about $30 billion so the government will never default on its debt payments, even if the debt ceiling is reached and not raised, unless the administration and the treasury decide not to pay the debt interest charges.

The American people are badly served by its national media and by politicians whose MO is to scare people into believing life as we know it will end unless they get their way. Hopefully, enough Republicans will continue to be strong and carry on against these hot air media headwinds and continue to stand on the principles for which they were elected and serve.

My dad is feeling it because he isn't allowed to work. I'm feeling it because it is also my paycheck being affected at my job. Other than that, no, life goes on.

What do you do?

Part of what I do is collect federal student loan debt, but the government is funding consolidations so our clients and ourselves can't get paid.

That doesn't sound like a fun job. That's another kind of debt I don't have. Back when I was a senior in high school I got all kinds of pressure from counselors to go to college but I didn't know what I wanted to do yet so it didn't make sense to go in to debt for it. Crazy, I know. I had my first job lined up before I graduated (Canon Copiers) and they were going to pay for the rest of my training... until I sawed my fingers off and they withdrew their offer. Man am I glad I did that. I could have ended up repairing office equipment and been bored out of my mind.

Well I have now been directly affected by the shutdown. I was scheduled for a class tonight for our CERT team on SkyWarn. The class is offered thru FEMA. Postponed to a later date. That was going to be an interesting one. For instance, do you know what it means when you here a "severe thunderstorm warning"? It means the storm is capable of producing hail 3/4" or bigger and/ or wind gusts of 58mph or more.

I got out of having to go to drill in North Carolina this month because my unit decided that they were going to forgo paying for hotel rooms (again :roll:), and I assume that some of my pay and the paperwork I have going through the system right now will probably be held up for a while.

Apart from that, however; no issues so far.

Scratch that. It just got cancelled entirely. :lol:

Remember when sequester was supposed to be the end of the world? What if this shut down goes the same way and people don't even notice? I myself have noticed no change whatsoever.
I have.

Drill was cancled. I can work 3 extra days. More money.

Back
Top Bottom