• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are You "Evil?"

How evil are you?

• Paragon of virtue

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • RPG hero, Strategy game villain

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • RPG villain, Strategy game hero

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Always evil

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters
For the empire!!!!

**** the Stormcloaks :lol:

How anybody could side with the empire when they start out by trying to chop your head off because.....well, because you were there...!

In most RPG's I'll usually play a more or less middle of the road character. I'll usually stick to the "good" choices but unless you're an essential character or have something I could use later on you're just as likely to get offed as not. I also spent a good bit of time as a vampire in Oblivion so if you were sleeping.....too bad. I was also kind of fond of reverse pickpocketing cursed hoods on sleeping folks and watching them freeze to death.

In Civ....forget about it. I'll take you out just because you're there though I'm not big on using nukes. There's nothing quite like building a few bomber squadrons and then just raining hell on your neighbor.

There are a few limits I have...I guess. I've never blown up Megaton in FO3.

I also love playing as Germany. Especially against someone who thinks the best strategy is to try and mimic history.

I've beaten opponents badly just by refusing to enter France. They NEVER believe that I would really leave France alone for the entire game.

Or you can choose not to go for the USSR. Take France (conquest, no Vichy), take Poland (no R-M pact), take Nationalist/Republican Spain for the tungsten, take Yugoslavia if italy hasn't, take Hungary, make Romania join the Axis for the refinary, and then take GB by planes and then go for Russia :)

What about you, good people of DP? Do you generally walk the path of the "Dark Side" for fun, or is your's a more pragmatic and impersonal sort of villainy, like my own?

It depends a LOT on the game. For Dishonored, for instance, I went for a clean kill-free game for the simple reason that it's a lot more challenging to pull off. Same deal with Deus Ex: Human Revolution (which I just started playing and highly recommend). With most RPGs, I'll probably do at least two play-throughs, one as a boy scout, the other as a scoundrel, mostly so I can see how your choices impact the plot. Pretty much anything made by Bioware would be a good example of that approach. With more open-world RPG's (e.g. Skyrim or Fallout) I usually tend towards a more balanced approach (e.g. do a good deed, then rob the gun store for ammo).

For other types of games I'm generally as ruthless as I need to be to kick ass. In the Total War series I'm generally utterly heartless about betraying allies, oppressing peasants, murdering natives with cannons and whatnot, etc. By contrast, if I'm playing Civ, I've found that it's frequently in my best interests to play nice with both my rivals and my own population. It just leads to better results.

It depends on my mood. If I'm just screwing around in Skyrim, I'm not above just wiping out everyone in a town if I'm bored, just to see how many guards they send after me. I can essentially one-hit kill anything in the game so it's just a button mashing exercise, but it can be fun and after all, they're just pixels.

I used to do that with Vampire: Bloodlines way back in the day. Of course a vampire game is incredibly well-suited to just getting drunk and slaughtering civilians left and right.

How do you generally conduct yourself in video games where issues of "morality" are concerned? Do you walk the "straight and narrow," or could your play style best be described as being that of a sociopathic man-child?

I ask because I just started playing Dishonored recently, and I found myself having serious misgivings about a lot of the actions the game wanted me to perform. For instance, the hordes of guards the game gives you option to mercilessly slaughter aren't really "villains" per se. They're little more than common city watchmen simply doing their jobs.

This got me to thinking about "videogame morality" in general.

In most RPGs which present "moral choices" for the player, I am pretty much as squeaky clean as you could imagine (my rampant kleptomania in games like Skyrim not withstanding :mrgreen: ).

When it comes to strategy games, however; I notice that I generally tend to play like the bastard spawn of Adolf Hitler and some genocidal African warlord.

I'll sacrifice my loyal soldiers and execute captured enemy combatants by the thousands before casually putting entire cities to the sword in games like Total War. The same goes for the use of "planet busting" weapons in space based strategy games.

Hell! My default mode of operation on a good day of playing Crusader Kings 2 would basically make me a monster to rival the evil English King from Braveheart in even his worst moments. :lol:

View attachment 67151080

What about you, good people of DP? Do you generally walk the path of the "Dark Side" for fun, or is your's a more pragmatic and impersonal sort of villainy, like my own?

In RPGs, I almost always play the role of the asshole.

In strategy, I like to play the good guy, but still seek to further my goals. When I play grand strategy, there is no such thing as impunity. I warmonger, but in the context of the defence of those weaker. I will counter invade the big bully trying to mop up territory, and then beat them into submission.

I end up playing the good gal in basically every RPG. Went full Paragon in Mass Effect, was a noble hero in Dragon Age 1, and 2, and maxed out my good karma in Fallout.

Also hardly killed anyone in Dishonored, found out most of the non-lethal options for your targets, and played like a ghost. Was rather fun.

Yeppers, that's me as well. Same games, same results (except I never played Dishonored). I seriously cannot play the bad guy/gal and enjoy the game.

How do you generally conduct yourself in video games where issues of "morality" are concerned? Do you walk the "straight and narrow," or could your play style best be described as being that of a sociopathic man-child?

I ask because I just started playing Dishonored recently, and I found myself having serious misgivings about a lot of the actions the game wanted me to perform. For instance, the hordes of guards the game gives you option to mercilessly slaughter aren't really "villains" per se. They're little more than common city watchmen simply doing their jobs.

In most RPGs which present "moral choices" for the player, I am pretty much as squeaky clean as you could imagine (my rampant kleptomania in games like Skyrim not withstanding :mrgreen: ).

When it comes to strategy games, however; I notice that I generally tend to play like the bastard spawn of Adolf Hitler and some genocidal African warlord.

I'll sacrifice my loyal soldiers and execute captured enemy combatants by the thousands before casually putting entire cities to the sword in games like Total War. The same goes for the use of "planet busting" weapons in space based strategy games.

Hell! My default mode of operation on a good day of playing Crusader Kings 2 would basically make me a monster to rival the evil English King from Braveheart in even his worst moments. :lol:

View attachment 67151080

Pretty much always good.

The only choice that might be construed as evil is when I chose Bhelen as King in Dragon Age: Origins, but in that case backing the good man was a heavily anti-utilitarian measure and could have doomed the entire dwarf race to recession.

When I played the KOTOR games, I just could not do the evil things. Even with virtual characters I felt guilt.

View attachment 67151080

Evil? No. A dark side? Yea. But Iam talking real life and not video games, which I have no idea about.

View attachment 67151080

Well, when it comes to MMOs I am typically the good guy. I walk around helping players new to the game, and I typically don't kill lower levels in PvP.

But when I get bored playing open world RPGs(GTA, Assassins Creed, ect.), I become genocidal so to speak. I played a game called "Destroy All Humans"...well that's exactly what I did. I turned the one map into a wasteland that rivals that of the worst apocalyptic movies. I used the death ray on my saucer to level all the buildings in the city, and then "zapped" all the humans that dared to cross my path of destruction. Oh I also enjoyed using my mind control abilities...heh.

I don't play as many strategy games anymore, but I used to play them all the time. I wasn't the spawn of Hitler, but I wasn't exactly reserved when it came to sending my men out onto the battlefield ;)

View attachment 67151080

I always play light side first. I'll play through again and go dark side, but I'll feel really bad about the choices I'm making.

I love a lot MMORPG and Strategic games.

On MMORPG games, I rarely play in action. Mostly, I used to attend only the big events and doing the attack plan rather than go for mass killing myself.
Most of times, I was the healer and the voice through Ventrilo.

On single strategic games, yeah I loved to do the evil guy too.
When I captured a village, even when it produces many goods, gold, minerals, I preferred mostly to burn it all rather than manage the riots. :)
And yeah, I also sacrificed many soldiers. I threw them on secure death with the intention to achieve the rapid win of a battle. :roll:

Mixed in RPGs. Sometimes good, sometimes less so. Sometimes, both. I like sneaking, in the elder scroll and mass effect series.

In strategy games, the only way is totalitarianism. The enemy can be given no quarter, nor the supporters of the enemy. The populace must be ruled, from my perspective, or those types of games are unbeatable.

My favorite games are PvP MMORPG's. To date, I've only seen two that I've really liked...and a handful of others that were "okay". Those two games were Archlord and Warhammer Online. In both games, I've gone both ways. I've been the one who helps everyone and I've been the one who will gank you just for the fun of it...and for the challenge of trying to survive when you call in your friends to rip me a new one.

A couple of examples:

In both games, after playing for a while and amassing a lot of experience and resources, I've created guilds that were designed to help newbies...teach them the game...provide some cash and gear to get them started. If they wanted to leave the guild after learning the ropes, I had no problem with that. Made a lot of friends that way.

In both games I created toons that were designed to gank people. And gank them, I did. In Warhammer, I took a level 20 toon into an area that was mostly for people below level 10. I parked her at a spawn point and killed anyone who came. If they were stupid enough to respawn, I killed them again. It pissed them off so much that they went crying to the ingame mods who gave me a warning...even though there were no rules against that sort of behavior. LOL!! It was GREAT!!

So, yeah...I can be an angel or an asshole. Just depends on my mood.

Back
Top Bottom