• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Are you Christophobic?

Are you Christophobic?

• Sort of.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely, they're trying to take over the government.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Pretty much - they should be removed from the public square.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • No.

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters
Christ, if he existed at all, was an unworldly philosopher; and no attribution of ours could add or detract from the simple truth of his teachings; and, if he was not of this world, it does not lessen his stature in the pantheon of the world’s mythology. More importantly, it is the message - and not the man - that matters. Christ’s universal message, if it is to have real meaning, must include all we embrace as our “fellow men,” and not just a chosen few - for “I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.” Matthew 20:14 (KJV).

This poll is stupid, they shouldn't be in our schools NO religion should.

There we go - everything will be flushed down the toilet - we won't need to think about it.

mixedmedia said:
Exactly.

So is the question are we afraid of Christ or Christians? Because I am most definitely afraid of some Christians. Christ, eh, not so much.
I fear neither christ nor christians. I do however fear the moronic fundamentalists of any religion that claim thier "bibles" to be the literal truth.

mixedmedia said:
Oh yes, this thread is just dripping with Christophobia. :roll:

Yes, it is:

I just had mental pictures of a giant Jesus, roaring and smashing its way through NYC, Godzilla-style.

I couldn't agree more. I just hope that these types of people get to meet their god as soon as possible.

what will the religious fundies come up with next? They're so paranoid

There are a couple Christians though....who scare the livin' Sh!t outa me.

Because I am most definitely afraid of some Christians.

alphamale said:
Yes, it is:

You know there are some crazy Christians out there, come on now. Do you agree with what Pat Robertson says when spouts out some nonsense about the "reasons" for 9/11 or hurricanes? If so, then I'm afraid of you, too. I have children. I should be afraid. That doesn't mean I am afraid of Christianity. Just wackos.

jfuh said:
I fear neither christ nor christians. I do however fear the moronic fundamentalists of any religion that claim thier "bibles" to be the literal truth.

Do you fear those who believe their view of war, sex, taxes, welfare, crime and punishment, etc. etc. etc. to be the literal truth? Do you believe what you believe is the truth? Do you fear yourself?

If not, then how do you account for a fear of people who believe their 'bibles' unless their behavior is in any way threatening to your person, property, unalienable, legal, or constitutional rights?

AlbqOwl said:
Do you fear those who believe their view of war, sex, taxes, welfare, crime and punishment, etc. etc. etc. to be the literal truth?

I do my damnedest not to fear anyone or any group of people, but I do know that some groups of people are a lot more likely to attack me than other groups.

Nothing wrong with keeping your hand near your belt when dealing with those groups.

Many Christians profess to be deeply religious, but few are truly spiritual persons. How many practice what they profess? - How many really live in imitation of the life of Christ? Far too many so-called “good Christians” make a mockery of religion; they are the "ranters" (pious frauds), like the character Talkative in John Bunyon's The Pilgrim's Progress.

AlbqOwl said:
Do you fear those who believe their view of war, sex, taxes, welfare, crime and punishment, etc. etc. etc. to be the literal truth? Do you believe what you believe is the truth? Do you fear yourself?

If not, then how do you account for a fear of people who believe their 'bibles' unless their behavior is in any way threatening to your person, property, unalienable, legal, or constitutional rights?

It is not a fear of people believing in their bibles. It is a fear of people who believe that it's just a matter of time before the world will end and all save those who believe what they believe will be swallowed up by a sea of fire to dwell through eternity in suffering and damnation who also believe that national doctrine and institutions should be reflective of their beliefs. It is far beyond opinions on taxes and welfare or crime and the death penalty. It is a question of imposing one's spiritual proclivities on a society as a whole.

mixedmedia said:
It is not a fear of people believing in their bibles. It is a fear of people who believe that it's just a matter of time before the world will end and all save those who believe what they believe will be swallowed up by a sea of fire to dwell through eternity in suffering and damnation who also believe that national doctrine and institutions should be reflective of their beliefs. It is far beyond opinions on taxes and welfare or crime and the death penalty. It is a question of imposing one's spiritual proclivities on a society as a whole.
(My underline)

Well put. You touch on the control issue again which is my problem with some Christians.

mixedmedia said:

And exactly how do they do they impose their spiritual proclivities on society as a whole? Are you doing that by insisting that spiritual proclivities must not prevail?

People of all stripes, including Atheists, Christians, and many others have been maligned, shunned, persecuted, jailed, and even burned at the stake, etc. for professing a belief not shared by those in power. We finally after much error and bad decisions, fits and starts, jumbles and stumbles, have settled on a form of government that doesn't allow people to be punished or destroyed for a belief or an idea.

Disagreement and/or fighting for the right to have your point of view heard is one thing. Fearing or hating others who think differently than you (phobia) is quite another thing.

An idea cannot prevail unless the majority shares it, and it constitutionally cannot prevail even then if anybody's person, property, or legal, constitutional, or unalienable rights are compromised.

AlbqOwl said:
And exactly how do they do they impose their spiritual proclivities on society as a whole? Are you doing that by insisting that spiritual proclivities must not prevail?

People of all stripes, including Atheists, Christians, and many others have been maligned, shunned, persecuted, jailed, and even burned at the stake, etc. for professing a belief not shared by those in power. We finally after much error and bad decisions, fits and starts, jumbles and stumbles, have settled on a form of government that doesn't allow people to be punished or destroyed for a belief or an idea.

Disagreement and/or fighting for the right to have your point of view heard is one thing. Fearing or hating others who think differently than you (phobia) is quite another thing.

An idea cannot prevail unless the majority shares it, and it constitutionally cannot prevail even then if anybody's person, property, or legal, constitutional, or unalienable rights are compromised.

I am not trying to deny anyone their right to practice their religion, let alone punish or destroy them. So don't even go there. All I am saying is that I AM NOT a Christian. My children ARE NOT Christian. So keep your impositions to yourself and your own families and out of our government. It's quite simple.

mixedmedia said:
I am not trying to deny anyone their right to practice their religion, let alone punish or destroy them. So don't even go there. All I am saying is that I AM NOT a Christian. My children ARE NOT Christian. So keep your impositions to yourself and your own families and out of our government. It's quite simple.

And would it not be just as valid for the Christian to insist that you not attempt to infect the schools, government, etc. with your 'godless Atheism'? Nobody is suggesting that Christianity or even Christian values be taught in the public schools, but Christians object to values against their own being pushed upon their kids in the public school too. It works both ways.

Both the Christian and the Atheist or whatever religion should be insisting that the teacher keep his/her personal opinions, beliefs, ideology etc. strictly to himself/herself and spend classroom time teaching English, science, math, history, music, art, etc. There was no 'Christophobia' or "nonreligiophobia' etc. at all when teachers were that way.

Last edited:
I'm out'a here. You all deserve yourslelves.

Ausonius said:
I'm out'a here. You all deserve yourslelves.

Here's hoping we meet your discriminating standards on another topic. :2razz:

(You did note that the forum is DEBATE....... didn't you?)

AlbqOwl said:
And would it not be just as valid for the Christian to insist that you not attempt to infect the schools, government, etc. with your 'godless Atheism'? Nobody is suggesting that Christianity or even Christian values be taught in the public schools, but Christians object to values against their own being pushed upon their kids in the public school too. It works both ways.

Both the Christian and the Atheist or whatever religion should be insisting that the teacher keep his/her personal opinions, beliefs, ideology etc. strictly to himself/herself and spend classroom time teaching English, science, math, history, music, art, etc. There was no 'Christophobia' or "nonreligiophobia' etc. at all when teachers were that way.

So the absence of Christianity is godless atheism? I do not identify as an atheist.

And there are plenty of Christians who believe their religion should play a prominent role in American institutions. And in some communities they do. I know because I lived in one.

But apparently, in the end, I agree with you - religion should not play a part in the American "public sector" (for lack) whatsoever. If that is indeed what you are saying.

I would be much more worried about separating Big Business and State
Than Church and State!

I think we've done a good job of keeping The Church out of Government,
But those slimy Big Business guy are infesting our government!

When was the last time the Pope came to Washington and said
America has to do This, and America did it? Never!

But those lobbyist are getting the politicians to spend taxpayers money on
all sorts of unnecessary things.

NoMoreDems-Reps said:
I would be much more worried about separating Big Business and State
Than Church and State!

I think we've done a good job of keeping The Church out of Government,
But those slimy Big Business guy are infesting our government!

When was the last time the Pope came to Washington and said
America has to do This, and America did it? Never!

But those lobbyist are getting the politicians to spend taxpayers money on
all sorts of unnecessary things.

You make a good point, a very good point, but there is no reason to blind eye any sectors trying to parlay their "investments" for influence in American politics. And the topic of this thread happens to be "Christophobia." ;)

mixedmedia said:
So the absence of Christianity is godless atheism? I do not identify as an atheist.

And there are plenty of Christians who believe their religion should play a prominent role in American institutions. And in some communities they do. I know because I lived in one.

But apparently, in the end, I agree with you - religion should not play a part in the American "public sector" (for lack) whatsoever. If that is indeed what you are saying.

I was using Christianity and Atheism as examples only. My take on it applies to ANY personal opinion/conviction/ideology/belief held by the teacher on anything other than what is specified in the material the teacher is to teach. And that material should be value neutral with neither liberalism nor conservatism, GOP agenda nor Democrat agenda, or any variations on this figuring into the equation whatsoever. The teacher should never tell a child what s/he must think or believe about anything or what s/he should not think or believe about anything and the child should be blissfully unaware of the teacher's personal biases, politics, religion, or convictions.

Within the framework of Constitutional protections, Government should be a reflection of the people governed without dictating to anybody what they must think or believe about anything.

If these principles are followed 'religiously' (pun intended), those participating in the system can be as biased, prejudiced, stupid, smart, religious, nonreligious, or anything else to their heart's content without so much as rippling the surface of our Democratic Republic. And the Christophobics would probably lower their blood pressure a whole lot too. :smile:

Last edited:
AlbqOwl said:
I was using Christianity and Atheism as examples only. My take on it applies to ANY personal opinion/conviction/ideology/belief held by the teacher on anything other than what is specified in the material the teacher is to teach. And that material should be value neutral with neither liberalism nor conservatism, GOP agenda nor Democrat agenda, or any variations on this figuring into the equation whatsoever. The teacher should never tell a child what s/he must think or believe about anything or what s/he should not think or believe about anything and the child should be blissfully unaware of the teacher's personal biases, politics, religion, or convictions.

Within the framework of Constitutional protections, Government should be a reflection of the people governed without dictating to anybody what they must think or believe about anything.

If these principles are followed 'religiously' (pun intended), those participating in the system can be as biased, prejudiced, stupid, smart, religious, nonreligious, or anything else to their heart's content without so much as rippling the surface of our Democratic Republic. And the Christophobics would probably lower their blood pressure a whole lot too. :smile:

To your first paragraph, as far as religion is concerned, public schools should be completely uninvolved with religion and lack of religion, in other words neutral.

Government is a reflection of the people, morally, ethically, religiously, etc. The officials in it are majority Christian, some Jews, maybe an Islamic (?), some people with no religion (although they won't admit it). They are there, the religious can be religious and pray and thank God, and the non-religious can do otherwise. There is plenty of religion in the government.

To your third, I automatically thought the person who began this thread was asking the question with tongue in cheek, because if there are any people who are actually 'Christophobic,' there would be a tiny number of them.

To assume everyone on this thread who is not religious and want's to keep religion out of government is 'Christophobic' is assinine. It is a Bill O'Reilly type of accusation, and I can't take it seriously, like the war on Easter, and these types of attacks are created to keep an attitude of manufactured war alive, a strategy to continue pushing the idea of an ongoing struggle between 'them and us' to attract listeners and followers so the money keeps rolling in. It is pandering.

tryreading said:
To your first paragraph, as far as religion is concerned, public schools should be completely uninvolved with religion and lack of religion, in other words neutral.

Government is a reflection of the people, morally, ethically, religiously, etc. The officials in it are majority Christian, some Jews, maybe an Islamic (?), some people with no religion (although they won't admit it). They are there, the religious can be religious and pray and thank God, and the non-religious can do otherwise. There is plenty of religion in the government.

To your third, I automatically thought the person who began this thread was asking the question with tongue in cheek, because if there are any people who are actually 'Christophobic,' there would be a tiny number of them.

To assume everyone on this thread who is not religious and want's to keep religion out of government is 'Christophobic' is assinine. It is a Bill O'Reilly type of accusation, and I can't take it seriously, like the war on Easter, and these types of attacks are created to keep an attitude of manufactured war alive, a strategy to continue pushing the idea of an ongoing struggle between 'them and us' to attract listeners and followers so the money keeps rolling in. It is pandering.

Which only goes to show that you either did not read what I wrote or you completely missed the point.

I bet you don't want me demanding that government buildings commemorate Chanukah. Is that anti-Semetic? No. So get over yourselves and enough with the persecution complex already.

AlbqOwl said:
Which only goes to show that you either did not read what I wrote or you completely missed the point.

You didn't pay attention. My first paragraph brought the subject back to religion, because you mentioned so many subjects, and that you think the teacher's opinions on them shouldn't be shared. Those things are not relevant. When you're talking about religion in the classroom, you're talking about an important Constitutional issue. None of the other subjects are anywhere near that level.

Then you talked about government being a reflection of the people, and I explained why, as far as religion is concerned, it is.

Then I picked the 'Christophobia' part of your third paragraph to respond to. It seems as if you take the term seriously. I showed why I think it is a red herring, and a rabble-rousing expression.

Back
Top Bottom