• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you afraid of snakes?

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
If so, why?

Here in the US, if a wild snake is not a rattlesnake, coral snake, cottonmouth, or copperhead, it is harmless. It can not hurt you even if it wants to.

Well, maybe a python can, if it is big enough.

It is not difficult to learn to identify the four varieties of poisonous snakes.

And yet, there are people who will run screaming from a garter snake. I've picked up garter snakes and held them in my hand. If it is cold, it will just lie there, absorbing heat from my hand until it gets warm or afraid, then will slither away. Try that with any other wild animal, and see what happens. Even a mouse will bite.

But a small, non poisonous snake is harmless.

In the United States, I was always taught that if the snake's head is bigger than the body be wary of it (There are exceptions to this rule.) ;)

I'll soon be buying my second pet snake, so no, I'm not scared of them. But try picking up a snake on my continent and see how far you get. :lol:

If so, why?

Here in the US, if a wild snake is not a rattlesnake, coral snake, cottonmouth, or copperhead, it is harmless. It can not hurt you even if it wants to.

It is not difficult to learn to identify the four varieties of poisonous snakes.

And yet, there are people who will run screaming from a garter snake. I've picked up garter snakes and held them in my hand. If it is cold, it will just lie there, absorbing heat from my hand until it gets warm or afraid, then will slither away. Try that with any other wild animal, and see what happens. Even a mouse will bite.

Not 100% correct. "Non-poisonous" snakes are actually poisonous in most cases... just not the right kind or quantity of poison to kill or seriously harm a human. They can still bite, and their bites are often infectious.

I'm not afraid of snakes. As a kid I used to kill them with a forked stick and a knife. I have respect for the water moccasin and the copperhead and rattler and treat them with due caution... lots of the first two around here.

My mostly irrational fear is spiders....

Nope, not remotely. I've owned snakes for years and I used to be on the local herpetological society's hot team, I went out and caught venomous snakes in people's yards and released them in wild areas. I've handled everything from simple cornsnakes to rattlesnakes. I think it's foolish to be afraid of snakes, or anything else for that matter.

I'll soon be buying my second pet snake, so no, I'm not scared of them. But try picking up a snake on my continent and see how far you get. :lol:

No, thanks. I'll stick closer to home, where I recognize which ones are poisonous.

I understand there are some pretty nasty ones down under.

I love snakes. One cool critter, if you ask me. Spiders, on the other hand....

If so, why?

Why are you trying to counter an irrational fear with facts. Trust me, it is not going to work. If you are afraid of snakes, or spiders, or crowds, or heights, or closed spaces, or whatever, no amount of explaining why it isn't something to be afraid of is going to work.

I do not like them, but I am not afraid on them. Spiders though, **** those things.

Good grief -- I would never even get close to my trousers if that were true.

No, thanks. I'll stick closer to home, where I recognize which ones are poisonous.

I understand there are some pretty nasty ones down under.

Yeah, in the southern half on the continent (where I live), the venomous ones are far more common than the non-venomous. My rule is don't go within striking distance of any wild snake.

On a related note, I'll be getting one of these as a pet soon:

Golden%20Tree%20Snake%20800.jpg

It's the only non-venomous snake I've seen in the wild.

Got bit by a copper head when I was a kid in SC. It was a little one, walked right on it, never saw the darn thing...till it bit me. Right above my ankle. Felt like a red hot poker jabbed me...a jolt. Then the cramping. I walked home fast as I could, but by the time my parents got me to the hospital, my entire left leg was charley horsing. Hurt. Bad. I mean, real bad. Like, stupid bad. Only critter that ever came close to hurting that bad was a cow killer ant, or velvet wasp. That **** hurt too.

If so, why?

People release many snakes. I would not consider compromising life security via lack of a positive identification.

Along the lines of what goshin said, non-venomous snakes can also carry rabies, botulism, etc.

even if it will not bite you or kill you or make you sick, wild animals should be left to be wild IMO. Human contact with the animals may make them less afraid of other humans who are not so snake friendly. I give snakes their room though I am not necessarily afraid of them. if they come near my house they may be relocated into the woods or meet the shovel depending on my discretion.

Yes, and I do not really know why. They give me the creeps. I was raised in the northeast and since moved to the southwest. If it was the other way around, I'd probably have a different perspective. I'm told to be more wary of the younger poisonous ones, as they do not yet know how to control the amount of venom they will dispense. I leave them all to their own business.

I'm actually quite fond of snakes.

I am, however, terrified of bugs. I believe this is because I inherited a pretty bad infestation when I was living in a ****hole a while ago. I hate, hate, HATE bugs.

if they come near my house they may be relocated into the woods or meet the shovel depending on my discretion.

A few snakes frequent my porch area, I wouldn't think of killing one without positive venomous ID. A racer that gets a meal and sent on his way is hardly an abomination before nature.

Preservation is a myth - we all exist together, always have.

Nope, not remotely. I've owned snakes for years and I used to be on the local herpetological society's hot team, I went out and caught venomous snakes in people's yards and released them in wild areas. I've handled everything from simple cornsnakes to rattlesnakes. I think it's foolish to be afraid of snakes, or anything else for that matter.

When I was a kid, my mother was deathly afraid of dogs. That fear makes it's way to you in some way shape or form. I eventually got a dog and now would not be without one. If my mother was afraid of rattlesnakes (which I am sure she would have been) I doubt I would have one for a pet. Whether that is out of fear or respect I do not know. I do not consider myself to be foolish... merely cautious.

For the most part, most venemous snakes are harmless. Unless you step on one. I've encounter rattlers before, but never had any issues avoiding them, something the rattlers go out of their way to arrange. Corel snakes are practically harmless...they lack fangs. Their venom is potent, but have you ever seen one? They are tiny, striking distance of...6 inches, tops? Add to that, they couldn't get past a thick pair of socks...only folks hurt by those snakes...sorta have it coming. Even copper heads, a VERY common snake down south, aren't very aggressive. They'd rather get away than stand their ground. It's just that you can't see them...they are very well camouflaged. Moccasins, though...I've never actually seen one, but I've been to some areas where they typically live, and even experienced folk are nervous where those snakes are concerned. And I gotta tell ya, I don't like pretty much any water snake, venom or no venom. They are just angry snakes, from my experience.

A few snakes frequent my porch area, I wouldn't think of killing one without positive venomous ID. A racer that gets a meal and sent on his way is hardly an abomination before nature.

Preservation is a myth - we all exist together, always have.

Keeping my kids preserved and my wife from stroking out takes priority over the survival of snakes. I keep the areas immediately around my house relatively uninviting to snakes, and usually the only ones we get close-in are black snakes that get relocated. Most of them stay to the rear of our maintained property or in the woods which is fine and dandy. Once there was copperhead a 3 year old and a shovel in the proximity of each other. The shovel and the kid survived. The copperhead not so much.

Not if I'm armed, and when I enter their territory I'm always armed. You can blame one of them. I jumped out of a pick up at age 6 and landed on him and he took it poorly and bit me in the leg. Due to his criminal actions I make them all pay the ultimate price. However, due to recent price increases on ammunition, I may be proned to walk around them if I can. They do taste like chicken - if prepared like chicken - which is how I prepare them. I do not waste them. I will skin them and freeze the meet and eat what I kill.

If so, why?

I do believe that is the first attack rabbit I've ever seen, lol!

Back
Top Bottom