• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you afraid of dying?

The remark about "before we're born" is that we have no memory of before we were born and perhaps that is the same way after death. To me we are a sum of all our experiences. With a single blockage of blood to our brain that sum of experiences is all deleted. Similar to a relative who suffers Alzheimers who now just stares at you blankly as they have loss all that sum of experiences. When you die that sum is evaporated. Perhaps.. I wish I knew too.

What I've wondered is whether or not there is some type of "super-consciousness" that exists outside of our conscious selves, that is objective and accepting, rather than judgemental, as we seem to be with what we call rational minds. At one time, I read quite a bit on near-death experiences, and it's hard to say with any certainty what is real and what is imagined. When a person is actively dying, the brain being starved of blood tends to make one confused, combative, and irrational, so it's hard to say if this is responsible for the tunnels and lights that are reported to be seen. One of the interesting things, though, is that some people (that I know personally) report coming to a door of some type, and they know that if they pass through the door, they will not come back. It's almost as if there is a choice that has to be made. Who or what is giving them that choice is a mystery to me.
On the "before we're born" question, if there is a consciousness outside of our physical body perceptions, then this may suggest that we existed prior to birth, and continue to exist beyond death in some state of non-physical being.

The one thing we probably know is that our physical body would not survive transfer anywhere after death as it pretty much deteriorates. So what does that leave?

With blood flow shut off to the brain is would appear all our memory data of all our experiences would be deleted. Some speak of our soul and I just wonder if that just isn't are thinking brain and the sum of all our experiences.

On one hand I say we are like a computer that is just unplugged for good. On the other hand we are so different than any other animal that maybe we do continue to exist.

When I figure that all out I will next tackle eternity of space.

good luck with that!

I have a condition called non-compaction left ventricular cardiomyopathy. My prognosis is 5 years. So yeah I've thought dying quite abit. My main concern is for the people around me, not me.

heart transplant?

i am a bit afraid of dying. i am surprised that so many people are not.

I believe that they don't yet realize they are afraid of it. It's hard to imagine, having never been close to the reality of it.

I've made these wishes known to my family.
I'm considering having these instructions tattooed on my body, in case I die far from home and my corpse goes unidentified.
That's how serious i am about it.

I dont want anything expensive done with my body when I die. Like, I dont want my body to be flown accross the world, just so I can be burried in Europe. Or at least this is how I used to think. Now, I think the funeral is in fact for those who love me, rather than for me, so I suppose they can spend a fortune on it if they want.

I dont want anything expensive done with my body when I die. Like, I dont want my body to be flown accross the world, just so I can be burried in Europe. Or at least this is how I used to think. Now, I think the funeral is in fact for those who love me, rather than for me, so I suppose they can spend a fortune on it if they want.

I really don't care what happens to my body since I will be dead and all.

Since no one really knows what's on the other side, many of us conjure up our own visions. Mine is that life here is an amusement park ride. And the other side is the waiting line to "get on." I rather like that thought because I envision us "picking the life we'd like to experience" and then being born to experience it. It gives me comfort when I think of young children dying. I like to think, "They'll be back."

Since no one really knows what's on the other side, many of us conjure up our own visions. Mine is that life here is an amusement park ride.

My vision is more along the lines that life here is more like a reform school for the effed up.:mrgreen:

Thank you for this. It just sort of resonated with me.

The pain of death really sucks and can be horrible, but it's sort of like the pain of being born. We have little births and deaths throughout our lives, where fear and anxiety at the newness eventually give way to new ways of thinking. I think death itself is peaceful.

The tattoo is an excellent idea.

Well, I am afraid of being buried, and- frankly- of rotting.
I think i read too much Edgar Allen Poe when I was young and impressionable.
I want to be cremated; I've made these wishes known to my family.
I'm considering having these instructions tattooed on my body, in case I die far from home and my corpse goes unidentified.
That's how serious i am about it.

Back
Top Bottom