• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you a senior citizen? Do you take Prevagen? Do you enjoy throwing your money away to be scammed?

watsup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
“There are no peer-reviewed, independent, clinical studies available to support the health claims made directly by the makers of Prevagen regarding the product’s efficacy. The company’s website and other marketing materials state that Prevagen results are clinically proven, but the clinical research cited was performed by parent company Quincy Bioscience, which raises concerns about conflicts of interest.”

Don’t waste your money unless you have money to burn.

“There are no peer-reviewed, independent, clinical studies available to support the health claims made directly by the makers of Prevagen regarding the product’s efficacy. The company’s website and other marketing materials state that Prevagen results are clinically proven, but the clinical research cited was performed by parent company Quincy Bioscience, which raises concerns about conflicts of interest.”

I can't remember if I take it or not.

I see all these commercials for all kinds of over the counter drugs. One is a capsule filled with vegetables! Yep all you need plus extra.
Its like an early Woody Allen movie .

Meantime, my wife wants me to order all this crap! Tells me lots of people really are being dupted.
A real Trump rip off type pills.

Notice that the testimonials you see on TV are always from some nobody who really had no brain power even in their prime.

The entire supplement industry is a scam. Every bottle is required to say not approved by the FDA.

All any of it does is change the way your urine looks and smells.

Never heard of it.

Should I have?

That’s one of my Mother in laws supplements I tossed directly in the trash can when my in laws moved in with me.

I hate how some of these companies prey on seniors with these “supplements”

Never heard of it.

Should I have?
It’s supposedly for “brain health” and “memory”, but if you read up on it - it’s contraindicated for a lot of people - high blood pressure, dementia/Alzheimer’s, kidney problems, etc…so basically most of the common ailments seniors face. And it is basically snake oil.

Last edited:
The entire supplement industry is a scam. Every bottle is required to say not approved by the FDA.

Not a scam. At least not all supplements.
Look for a USP certificate.

It’s supposedly for “brain health” and “memory”, but if you read up on it - it’s contraindicated for a lot of people - high blood pressure, dementia/Alzheimer’s, kidney problems, etc…so basically most of the common ailments seniors face. And it is basically snake oil.
Agreed - but pretty sure that applies to just about every big pharma "cure" being advertised these days. With possible side effects including virtually every malady from allergies to anal seepage to death, only a fool would watch any of these commercials urging them to "talk to your doctor about____" or "ask your doctor about ____" and before prescribing to "tell your doctor about____" - all stuff your doctor should already know about you (you know, them being your doctor and all).

Big pharma isn't big pharma because their pills and remedies and potions work - it's because their advertising [sadly] works.

Kind of like ACV, right? I get spam emails about that stuff.

That’s one of my Mother in laws supplements I tossed directly in the trash can when my in laws moved in with me.

I hate how some of these companies prey on seniors with these “supplements”

Check out the Mike Huckabee “spokesman” Relaxium scam. They send you a “free” sample but then automatically “enroll” you in a bimonthly shipment of two bottles of the stuff (that doesn’t work) for $119. Huckabee is another grifter getting rich off the right wing rubes.

Agreed - but pretty sure that applies to just about every big pharma "cure" being advertised these days. With possible side effects including virtually every malady from allergies to anal seepage to death, only a fool would watch any of these commercials urging them to "talk to your doctor about____" or "ask your doctor about ____" and before prescribing to "tell your doctor about____" - all stuff your doctor should already know about you (you know, them being your doctor and all).

Big pharma isn't big pharma because their pills and remedies and potions work - it's because their advertising [sadly] works.

Check out the Mike Huckabee “spokesman” Relaxium scam. They send you a “free” sample but then automatically “enroll” you in a bimonthly shipment of two bottles of the stuff (that doesn’t work) for $119. Huckabee is another grifter getting rich off the right wing rubes.
Caring for elderly people and hearing the nonsense that inundates daytime tv via commercials has been eye opening.

I’ve been weaning them off actual tv (with commercials) and instead finding their shows via our streaming services. (We aren’t a big tv household - so I had no real idea how bad it was)

It really should be criminal how much advertisement is geared towards selling elderly people complete crap - or scaring them.

Big pharma was big pharma before they began advertising in 1985.

Not true. As many older people find, getting to & staying asleep is a challenge. I tried valerian root from Amazon & haven't slept this well since I was a teen.

Authentic stuff is a brown powder that has a strong characteristic odor that reminds me of vomit. If you get a bottle that is not that way, you've been duped.

The active ingredient is found in the essential oil in the root. It is called valerenic acid.

See attached.

Valerenic acid is a sesquiterpenoid constituent of the essential oil of the valerian plant.[1]

Valerian is used as a herbal sedative which may be helpful in the treatment of insomnia.[2] Valerenic acid may be at least partly responsible for valerian's sedative effects, in addition to the other valerenic acids hydroxyvalerenic acid and acetoxyvalerenic acid.[3][1] Valerian supplements are often standardized to contain a particular amount of valerenic acid by weight (often 0.8%).[3]

Valerenic acid acts as a subtype-selective GABAA receptor positive allosteric modulator via a binding site in the transmembrane domain at the β+α− interface.[4] At receptors expressed in Xenopus oocytes (frog eggs) it was shown that only assemblies incorporating β2 or β3 subunits were stimulated by valerenic acid. A study in mice demonstrated that a single amino acid substitution (N265M) in the β3 subunit severely decreases the anxiolytic effect. Modulation of ion channel action was not significantly dependent on incorporation of α1, α2, α3 or α5 subunits.[5]

At the 5-HT5A receptor valerenic acid acts as a partial agonist. This serotonin receptor subtype is distributed in the suprachiasmatic nucleus, a tiny brain region implicated in the sleep-wake cycle.[6]
============================================
Based on my long experience, valerian root (600mg) acts like benzodiazepines like Valium & Xanax. Valerian root is sold as a dietary supplement & is not a controlled substance. Could be a good way to cut down on use of benzos.

I generally consider "clinically proven" to be a weasel word term.

Supplements aren't necessarily ineffective, the real problem is the ones that actually do something can be dangerous. Western medicine has largley removed the need for supplements but in other cultures they're a big thing and it's the main way they treat illnesses. That said they also have a body of knowledge of supplements that far surpasses what you see in the west (which is mainly profit driven). And they have 'doctors' who will work with you as to the proper use.

My wife's brain injury physician presented each of his family members for Christmas, 2021, with theracurmin 30 mg capsules and a mediterranean diet cookbook.

A 6-Month Retrospective Follow-Up Study​

1681893568076.png
National Institutes of Health (.gov)
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › ...
by FS Dost · 2021 · Cited by 3 — Theracurmin, a very highly absorbable curcumin formulation, was shown to improve memory and attention in non-demented people.

My wife's brain injury physician presented each of his family members for Christmas, 2021, with theracurmin 30 mg capsules and a mediterranean diet cookbook.

A 6-Month Retrospective Follow-Up Study

View attachment 67445378
National Institutes of Health (.gov)
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › ...
by FS Dost · 2021 · Cited by 3 — Theracurmin, a very highly absorbable curcumin formulation, was shown to improve memory and attention in non-demented people.
Should read, 100 mg not 30.

1681923267763.jpeg

I take several supplements from NOW Foods: digestive enzymes (PANCREATIN 22000), fish oil (DHA) & valerian root. All are as advertised & they get good reviews on Amazon.

I take several supplements from NOW Foods: digestive enzymes (PANCREATIN 22000), fish oil (DHA) & valerian root. All are as advertised & they get good reviews on Amazon.

Valerian root actually works. Combine that with melatonin and you sleep pretty good. Even without the melatonin.

Valerian root actually works. Combine that with melatonin and you sleep pretty good. Even without the melatonin.
Yes it does. It is attractive to cats just like catnip.

Yes it does. It is attractive to cats just like catnip.

I'll have to try that. We have a little garden with catnip and valerian, among other things. The cat isn't all that fond of the catnip unless it's very dry - maybe he'll like the valerian.

I'll have to try that. We have a little garden with catnip and valerian, among other things. The cat isn't all that fond of the catnip unless it's very dry - maybe he'll like the valerian.
Good. Let me know. Chemically the active ingredients are very similar.

I smoked some catnip years ago. Got no reaction.

Good. Let me know. Chemically the active ingredients are very similar.

I smoked some catnip years ago. Got no reaction.

That's too bad, because we have a ton of mint family plants. Could have saved me some money. I'll let you know about the cat.

Back
Top Bottom