• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you a liberal?

Are you liberal in thought and action or part of the center or the right

• Yes

Votes: 33 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
Not really. The constitution is deliberately vague. The general welfare is whatever congress at any point decides it is, whether that means welfare, public schools, or medicare.

There is no appeal to any of this outside of your vote every couple of years.
can you cite any case where the general welfare clause has been upheld in giving congress powers not specifically enumerated in Article One, Section 8

can you cite any case where the general welfare clause has been upheld in giving congress powers not specifically enumerated in Article One, Section 8

Yes. Medicare, social security, and the Tennessee Valley Authority. Just for starters.

actually studies have shown that conservatives are more generous-both to secular and religious based charities and tip better. Liberals don't trust people to do the right thing-and thus want government to force such action
Cite a few credible sources.

that is irrelevant to the point I was making> I was attacking the idiotic claim that conservatives are stingy and less generous than "liberals"/ Liberals-by definition, do not trust people to act to help others so they want the government to force such action
Some of the biggest, most prolific Right-of-Center idiots in this forum cluelessly fancy themselves as highly respected and generous. I laugh at their utter lack of self-awareness!

Some of the biggest, most prolific Right-of-Center idiots in this forum cluelessly fancy themselves as highly respected and generous. I laugh at their utter lack of self-awareness!
your opinion, in no way, refutes their claims

Choosing one or the other, a modern day liberal or a modern day conservative -

Answer which one would more likely align with the following principle:

"Our common welfare should come first; personal progress for the greatest number depends upon unity."

your opinion, in no way, refutes their claims
Not all opinions weigh equally. Certainly a member's ability to generate respect from other members can add a modicum of credibility. I like this forum's poll function, wherein it lets members weigh in on specific subjects.

Confounding the polling data, I am becoming more liberal as I age.
I started out very left wing/Liberal. Then, I RAN to the right/conservative. The older I get, the more conservative I get. I follow Winston Churchill's adage...."If a person is not a liberal when they are 20, they have no heart. If they are not a conservative when they are 40, they have no brains." or words to that effect.

Says the person who literally chose a username which includes the name of an actual domestic terror group...

Oh? Cite your source for that? Last time I checked, fed agencies were warning us it’s all the folks that look like Kevin Smith and voted for Donald Trump that were actual domestic terrorists.

Or did some more friends come over and these ones work for a fed agency? ITS ANTIFA, WE SAW THE REPORT LETS WATCH CHASING AMY

I started out very left wing/Liberal. Then, I RAN to the right/conservative. The older I get, the more conservative I get. I follow Winston Churchill's adage...."If a person is not a liberal when they are 20, they have no heart. If they are not a conservative when they are 40, they have no brains." or words to that effect.

That comment made sense when the stereotypical conservative was perceived as William F Buckley. Conservatism now belongs to folks like Sarah Palin and Trump.

Oh? Cite your source for that? Last time I checked, fed agencies were warning us it’s all the folks that look like Kevin Smith and voted for Donald Trump that were actual domestic terrorists.

Or did some more friends come over and these ones work for a fed agency? ITS ANTIFA, WE SAW THE REPORT LETS WATCH CHASING AMY
I already stated that I know you're the one living in an alternative reality where Antifa isn't a domestic terror group. There's no need to keep pointing that out.

I already stated that I know you're the one living in an alternative reality where Antifa isn't a domestic terror group. There's no need to keep pointing that out.

Yes, you also stated you know people.

Okay, so, YOU have no means of proving anything you’re saying - not about having friends, ANtifa being a domestic terror org, etc.

What else, bud? We all good here? Did you win enough?

Yes, you also stated you know people.

Okay, so, YOU have no means of proving anything you’re saying - not about having friends, ANtifa being a domestic terror org, etc.

What else, bud? We all good here? Did you win enough?
Your denial is entertaining.

Its very interesting. Florida voters passed referendums that gave ex-felons the right to vote and to increase minimum wage, two decidedly liberal policies. Yet they continue to elect Republicans to state wide office. Its like, they think they are conservatives, and may well be with regard to taxes (and guns?), but are really liberal on many policy ideas.

All of those were close votes. FL has, by far, the highest % and number of ex felons, at 1.5M. Thassa lot. It can make a diff in an election. MW is an issue that Dems have failed to message. By Reps messaging culture, blah-blah-blah, and staying away from the fact that they suppress wages, their own core support suffers for the GOP policies of directing $ to the rich and large corps. Unlike the rest of the South, FL is giving the people a few cents.

We can start with addressing climate change by going green as quickly as possible. Upgrade all of our infrastructure to be a smart grid. Redo the tax code closing all the loopholes for the super wealthy and corporate america. It's long past time they pay their fair share. If they are being taxed so severely can anyone explain why they hide their money offshore? It's certainly not because they can't afford to pay the taxes, it's because they don't want to pay the taxes. Health care with a single payer. Lower the age for medicare. In other words it's time our government starting taking care of we the people instead of we the military industrial complex, the super wealthy and multinational corporations. They all already have plenty of everything.

I think that would be a good start. We cannot keep polluting this planet and expect nothing to happen.

Then you are both liberal and progressive. You want what exists that is necessary to be available to everyone, lib, and you want what can be had to become so, prog.

Then you are both liberal and progressive. You want what exists that is necessary to be available to everyone, lib, and you want what can be had to become so, prog.
I guess I am but I would also like to somehow manage it all without killing any one group with taxes. With that said I do not believe the super wealthy and corporate america for the most part do not pay their fair share in taxes regardless of the people who like to come on here and spout out numbers and percentages which all basically mean nothing there are so many other ways to lower your taxes. I just read when the top rate was ninety one percent the most any super wealthy person really paid was about eighteen percent after all was said and done. Still lower that the average working person.

Yeah yeah, thank me for playing and be on your way, Red.
If you don't want to be exposed as the hack that you are then don't engage. You provided nothing substantial to this thread, just more of your specialty - personal swipes and irrelevant discussion.

#****antifa

If you don't want to be exposed as the hack that you are then don't engage. You provided nothing substantial to this thread, just more of your specialty - personal swipes and irrelevant discussion.

#****antifa

Thanks for playing!

I'd say I lean more liberal than conservative, but I wouldn't consider myself a liberal. Wouldn't be accurate to say "no," because I am liberal in certain aspects but I am not in others. I suppose I'll go with "undecided" since it is the closest to "Sort of" in the poll options that are available.

Back
Top Bottom