• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you a liberal?

Are you liberal in thought and action or part of the center or the right

• Yes

Votes: 33 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
that's the difference between the left and the right. we both want laws based on how we see ourselves. Lefties see themselves and others as children who need a wise big brother to tell them what to do. I see myself as an adult and I don't need someone else to tell me what I need to do

You have a view of humanity that can only be described as bizarre.

Liberalism is a political and moral philosophy based on liberty, consent of the governed and equality before the law.Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but they generally support individual rights (including civil rights and human rights), democracy, secularism, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of religion and a market economy.

Yes.
Always thought of myself as being moderate conservative or never trumper, but after reading the definitions, perhaps may be a damn lib

You have a view of humanity that can only be described as bizarre.
your view of humanity is what leads to totalitarian authoritarian states

that's the difference between the left and the right. we both want laws based on how we see ourselves. Lefties see themselves and others as children who need a wise big brother to tell them what to do. I see myself as an adult and I don't need someone else to tell me what I need to do
Agree, but after reading those defns I'm not so sure.

Always thought of myself as being moderate conservative or never trumper, but after reading the definitions, perhaps may be a damn lib
American lefties have little in common with that definition of "liberalism"

American leftism is reactionary, authoritarian, parasitic and statist

No, that is what Trump wanted, with himself being the lead dog, and without limits on authority or term limits.

Yes. there's nothing more authoritarian than the USA, Canada, Norway, etc.

Just like Mao, right?

There is some space between Ayn Rand and Stalin.

I can point out the actions of American lefties and it is authoritarian, reactionary, parasitic and statist
You need to provide valid examples of these "observations/actions." Otherwise, they are without any merit whatsoever.

I can point out the actions of American lefties and it is authoritarian, reactionary, parasitic and statist
I have considered your position, and I find myself unable to give a shit about your concerns. You have this bad signal about "rugged individualists" which never, in reality, existed. You are not doing "human" well. Humans have survived and risen out of the muck because we are a cooperative species. Whether that cooperation is based on tribal mores or currency makes no difference at all. A human demanding to isolate him/herself as a social unit is a human that is useless to him/herself and everyone around that person.

A lone wolf is a dead wolf. Why do you think prisoners fear solitary confinement more than the violent prisoners around them?

I have considered your position, and I find myself unable to give a shit about your concerns. You have this bad signal about "rugged individualists" which never, in reality, existed. You are not doing "human" well. Humans have survived and risen out of the muck because we are a cooperative species. Whether that cooperation is based on tribal mores or currency makes no difference at all. A human demanding to isolate him/herself as a social unit is a human that is useless to him/herself and everyone around that person.

A lone wolf is a dead wolf. Why do you think prisoners fear solitary confinement more than the violent prisoners around them?
why do you worship more and more government?

why do you worship more and more government?

I do not. I view a certain level of government as a necessary evil, but the difference is, I don't dispute the fact that it IS necessary.

I do not. I view a certain level of government as a necessary evil, but the difference is, I don't dispute the fact that it IS necessary.
neither do we libertarians.

neither do we libertarians.

Yes, you believe in just enough government to be a hassle, and not enough to do any good.

I have read the libertarian party's platform. I prefer civilization, if it's all the same to you.

I’m a liberal and a progressive. I’ve yet to hear why these are mutually exclusive terms.

Once put through your Fox programmed filters, of course.

Deflection. ^

Many posts written by leftists on this forum share lots of the same characteristics as listed below.
In six studies, which included 7,258 individuals in total, the researchers validated their measure of left-wing authoritarianism, which they called the Left-Wing Authoritarianism Index. The results indicated that left-wing authoritarianism was comprised of three primary dimensions.

The first is anti-hierarchical aggression. People who score high on this dimension agree with statements such as “The rich should be stripped of their belongings and status” and “We need to replace the established order by any means necessary.”

The second is top-down censorship. People who score high on this dimension agree with statements such as “I should have the right not to be exposed to offensive views” and “Getting rid of inequality is more important than protecting the so-called ‘right’ to free speech.”

The third is anti-conventionalism. People who score high on this dimension agree with statements such as “All political conservatives are fools” and “The ‘old-fashioned ways’ and ‘old-fashioned values’ need to be abolished.”

Yes, you believe in just enough government to be a hassle, and not enough to do any good.

I have read the libertarian party's platform. I prefer civilization, if it's all the same to you.
wrong-as usual

we believe in a military to protect our nation

on a police force to protect the lives and property of the citizens

of a court system to resolve disputes among the citizens

we believe in the constitution being enforced as it was intended the federal government was never intended to be the vehicle for crap like income redistribution, "minimum wages" etc

wrong-as usual

we believe in a military to protect our nation

on a police force to protect the lives and property of the citizens

of a court system to resolve disputes among the citizens

we believe in the constitution being enforced as it was intended the federal government was never intended to be the vehicle for crap like income redistribution, "minimum wages" etc

If that was what was intended, the constitution would not have the general welfare clause, the mandated roads, or more than 1/4 of article I, sec 8.

A society that doesn't take care of its most vulnerable isn't a society, it's savagery. Margaret Mead once said that civilization began the moment a person could survive a broken leg. She was right.

And if society isn't willing to do that, then what possible advantage is there in remaining with society?

If that was what was intended, the constitution would not have the general welfare clause, the mandated roads, or more than 1/4 of article I, sec 8.

A society that doesn't take care of its most vulnerable isn't a society, it's savagery. Margaret Mead once said that civilization began the moment a person could survive a broken leg. She was right.

And if society isn't willing to do that, then what possible advantage is there in remaining with society?
your understanding of the general welfare clause needs lots of work. You also seem unable to understand federal vs state powers.

your understanding of the general welfare clause needs lots of work. You also seem unable to understand federal vs state powers.

Not really. The constitution is deliberately vague. The general welfare is whatever congress at any point decides it is, whether that means welfare, public schools, or medicare.

There is no appeal to any of this outside of your vote every couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom