• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you a liberal?

Are you liberal in thought and action or part of the center or the right

• Yes

Votes: 33 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters

DataPoint

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I am a bit to the right of the below, mostly in the center.

1626819930756.png

I am a bit to the right of the below, mostly in the center.

View attachment 67343970
Liberalism is a political and moral philosophy based on liberty, consent of the governed and equality before the law.Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but they generally support individual rights (including civil rights and human rights), democracy, secularism, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of religion and a market economy.

Yes.

Modern mainstream liberalism is nothing as defined just as modern mainstream conservatism is nothing as conservative is defined. Neither "side" endears the qualities of their definitions.

I am not sure, what does it say below my username?

Confounding the polling data, I am becoming more liberal as I age.
you are bucking the trend my friend, the more people age, the more conservative, paranoid and skeptical they become.
even some Canadians are like that, believe it or not.

you are bucking the trend my friend, the more people age, the more conservative, paranoid and skeptical they become.
even some Canadians are like that, believe it or not.

I don't think its a trend so much as some would like us to think its a trend. I have gotten more liberal as I've gotten older, too.

I don't think its a trend so much as some would like us to think its a trend. I have gotten more liberal as I've gotten older, too.
granted my observations are assumptive, but nevertheless, many people when they get my age (I ain't no spring chicken) seem to be more leery of "others" or "different" things or new ideas.

granted my observations are assumptive, but nevertheless, many people when they get my age (I ain't no spring chicken) seem to be more leery of "others" or "different" things or new ideas.

I haven't really noticed a lot of that.

I'm liberal in the Canadian sense of liberal which is right of progressive and left of conservative. I tend to be very liberal on social issues but less so in fiscal and military matters

Modern mainstream liberalism is nothing as defined just as modern mainstream conservatism is nothing as conservative is defined. Neither "side" endears the qualities of their definitions.

I think I agree with you.
Can you offer the modern definition of those we call liberal and conservative today?

The problem here is many conflate American Liberal with Classic Liberal. Those two are opposites.
No, the problem is people who think they can trump dictionary definitions.
Nobody cares how you define liberal. Nobody that owns a dictionary and knows how to use it, anyway.
Here's a clue- pick the dictionary you prefer and look up 'liberal'. I recommend Merriam-Websters to Americans. Memorize the definition. Don't worry, it won't be long, won't be like memorizing "Oh Captain! My Captain!" Now, anyone who doesn't fit that definition isn't a liberal.
See how easy that was?

Confounding the polling data, I am becoming more liberal as I age.

Well I haven't.
I have broadened my views.
Instead of becoming "more conservative" and "less liberal", I've simply added a few conservative views I didn't have before.
I'm still pretty much a liberal though.

Back
Top Bottom