• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you a Democrat, a Republican, or a Southerner ?

It's actually a benefit. Unlike police, I don't have an exposed firearm, or a uniform identifying me as a potential target. This means that an attacker is far less likely to rush me, because he doesn't know I present a much higher threat to them than a police officer.

An assailant who is looking for a target normally doesn't care whether that person's wearing a jacket. He normally looks for whoever looks most vulnerable...and having a jacket on doesn't make you look less vulnerable.

An assailant who is looking for a target normally doesn't care whether that person's wearing a jacket. He normally looks for whoever looks most vulnerable...and having a jacket on doesn't make you look less vulnerable.
Thats why I always say, "dont look like a victim". Stay in good shape, walk with purpose, look around quite a bit.'
Dont just shuffle about, looking at the ground oblivious to your surroudings.

That's not accurate around here. There are 1,000,000 CCWer's in Florida. Someone wearing a jacket is a clear risk to someone you can see is not possibly armed. That may not apply elsewhere, but it definitely does here. Within certain age ranges, if you assert a person wearing a jacket is armed you will more likely be correct than not. And all intelligent people know it. That may not apply elsewhere.

WA open carry. One in the head and two in the chest. Failure drill for the win.

That is EXACTLY how my wife trained and situationally rehearsed. It is the rule. Chest-head-chest.

That's not accurate around here. There are 1,000,000 CCWer's in Florida. Someone wearing a jacket is a clear risk to someone you can see is not possibly armed. That may not apply elsewhere, but it definitely does here. Within certain age ranges, if you assert a person wearing a jacket is armed you will more likely be correct than not. And all intelligent people know it. That may not apply elsewhere.

Well I come from south eastern Texas, where during the winter, jackets and coats are mandatory, and you wear as little as possible while remaining decent in the summer. It's also a place where you just assume that everyone old enough to buy alcohol is armed. The jacket was just a frivolous goalpost change.

Yes, you and I can agree on that. My main point is that one should try to do whatever's required to avoid getting to that point where the gun is needed at all...and that includes tossing one's wallet and valuables on the ground for the guy to get. Again - the gun should be the last resort.

One more thing - and this has been shown in studies and it makes a lot of sense - a person who is carrying (or has very easy access to) a firearm is significantly more likely to respond to a threat in an aggressive way, rather than trying to find ways to avoid physical violence. That's not a liberal standpoint, but basic human psychology - when someone has a thing (whether that thing is a gun or authority or money or movie-star good looks) that empowers them, they're more likely to use that thing whether for good or for ill.

and justice department studies also prove that those who defend themselves with firearms against a criminal attack are far far LESS likely to be hurt or killed while those who DO NOT RESIST are far more likely to be raped, robbed or killed.

It's actually a benefit. Unlike police, I don't have an exposed firearm, or a uniform identifying me as a potential target. This means that an attacker is far less likely to rush me, because he doesn't know I present a much higher threat to them than a police officer.

The threat will choose to approach you not based on whether you're wearing a jacket, but whether you look like you are an easy mark. Sure, I'll agree that if you're wearing a jacket he might take note of that and be a little more circumspect (and yes, he's likely to look to see if there is a bulge at the hip or the shoulder), but his decision's going to be made on whether you look weak and whether you look like you might be a lucrative target. If he sees you - and I'm assuming you're an adult male able to fend for himself - as an easy mark even though you're an adult male, then he's going to approach you whether you've got a jacket or not.

OK, but I am a very happy person. I actually only have a few "things" that are near and dear, but I will kill to keep them.

Y'know, I can't think of a single physical possession I have that I'd be willing to kill for. Mess with my family, and that's another story - but money, credit cards, jewelry...even our passports - these are just things. Unless it's something we literally need in order to stay alive, they're simply not worth it.

Thats why I always say, "dont look like a victim". Stay in good shape, walk with purpose, look around quite a bit.'
Dont just shuffle about, looking at the ground oblivious to your surroudings.

I agree wholeheartedly! That's a textbook way of preventing the problem from ever becoming a problem in the first place.

I think you're engaging in a bit of hyperbole by going with the assumption that 'most' who wear jackets are armed, but in a hot climate, you may well have a point that a person wearing a jacket is more likely to be armed.

and justice department studies also prove that those who defend themselves with firearms against a criminal attack are far far LESS likely to be hurt or killed while those who DO NOT RESIST are far more likely to be raped, robbed or killed.

And while we're at it, studies also show that a firearm in a house is 22X more likely to be used against a family member or friend than it is against a stranger attempting to rob or invade that home.

So please excuse me if I choose to take the 1-in-22 chance - you can have the other 21 chances in this particular set of likelihoods.

funny ... I don't go anywhere (including when I take a shower) without my H&K 416 D145RS 22LR 20+1 16.1" NIB.

LOL.... You copy/pasted this out of an Ebay ad or something?

(just between us ... I copied and pasted that ... I have no idea what H&K 416 D145RS 22LR 20+1 16.1" NIB is ... as far as I'm concerned it could the serial number on a refrigerator ... but when I posted it, I felt really, really manly. Now I know why so many cons are into guns.)

Nevermind to the above.... it appears I was right...

(psst... the NIB gave it away ... NIB on ebay "New In Box")

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife
and two small children.

Suddenly, a Terrorist with a huge knife
comes around the corner, locks eyes with you,
screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges at you...

You are carrying a Kimber 1911 cal. 45 ACP, and you are an expert shot.
You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family.
What do you do?

Democrat's Answer:
• Well, that's not enough information to answer the question!
• What is a Kimber 1911 cal. 45 ACP?
• Does the man look poor or oppressed?
• Is he really a terrorist? Am I guilty of profiling?
• Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?
• Could we run away?
• What does my wife think?
• What about the kids?
• Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?
• What does the law say about this situation?
• Does the pistol have appropriate safety built into it?
• Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children?
• Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me?
• Does he definitely want to kill me, or would� he be content just to wound me?
• If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing� me?
• Should I call 9-1-1?
• Why is this street so deserted?
• We need to raise taxes, have paint & weed day.
• Can we make this a happier, healthier street that would discourage such behavior.
• I need to debate this with some friends for a few days and try to come to a consensus.
• This is all so confusing!

............ ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... .......... ......... ..�

Republican's Answer:

BANG!

............ ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......

Southerner’s Answer

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
BANG ! BANG! BANG! BANG!
Click..... (Sounds of reloading)

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
Click

That is such Bulls##t....I would blast his ass to kingdom come....:shoot

That is such Bulls##t....I would blast his ass to kingdom come....:shoot

Why are you profiling, Georgette Zimmerman? Maybe the young man with the knife was actually just a door to door machete salesman. Damn stand your ground laws!!!

If you were smart, you'd know that the best thing to remain calm, do nothing to antagonize the guy, calmly give up your wallet and valuables and let it go - those are only *things* and are never worth it (and your personal pride is not worth it, either) - and then call the police. Your gun should be the LAST resort, not the first.

Lol, this is awesome and totally supports the OP. When threatened, fold like a cheep lawn chair and leave it up to the government.

Y'know, I can't think of a single physical possession I have that I'd be willing to kill for. Mess with my family, and that's another story - but money, credit cards, jewelry...even our passports - these are just things. Unless it's something we literally need in order to stay alive, they're simply not worth it.

Ohhhhhhh, what would you do then? Fail to use calming tones and speak slightly more harshly?

Problem is - and this is what I've been saying all along - most people cannot reliably draw and fire in the time it takes for a knife-wielding young man to go ten feet. This is especially true if you're wearing a jacket or coat.

It's a heck of a lot smarter - even if you've got a firearm loaded and ready to go - to just go ahead and toss the wallet and valuables on the ground, back off and let the guy take them, and report it to the police. The violence - in which you may be injured or possibly killed - is simply not worth whatever you may have in that wallet. Now if the guy takes the stuff and still wants to take your life, then you do what you have to do. Is this really so unreasonable?

It would be a bit late by then wouldn't it? Look, I am a Progressive, but have carried a revolver my whole life.....If I had to walk down a deserted street, that revolver would already be in my hand and if someone came at me with a knife, I would have to shoot him..It is as simple as that...

Why are you profiling, Georgette Zimmerman? Maybe the young man with the knife was actually just a door to door machete salesman. Damn stand your ground laws!!!
:

I could have brought Z up several times during this thread, but didn't.......You can't compare the two scenarios at all... It is quite reasonable to shoot an attacker with a knife, unlike shooting a kid with no weapon at all.....so stick it X...:2wave:.

And while we're at it, studies also show that a firearm in a house is 22X more likely to be used against a family member or friend than it is against a stranger attempting to rob or invade that home.

So please excuse me if I choose to take the 1-in-22 chance - you can have the other 21 chances in this particular set of likelihoods.

you need to actually study that claim

because those moronic studies are flawed because in one of them there were about 435 cases studied and in all but a few, the "gun in the house" was a gun BROUGHT TO THE HOUSE and used against the occupants rather than a gun OWNED by the occupants.

you need to actually study that claim

because those moronic studies are flawed because in one of them there were about 435 cases studied and in all but a few, the "gun in the house" was a gun BROUGHT TO THE HOUSE and used against the occupants rather than a gun OWNED by the occupants.
I am 50, and I have been in a home with a gun for ALL of my life. Never ever even been close to accidentally or negligently firing it or worse.

Lol, this is awesome and totally supports the OP. When threatened, fold like a cheep lawn chair and leave it up to the government.

And the above sarcasm is a wonderful example of why the homicide rate is significantly higher in most high-gun-ownership states (read: red states) than it is in low-gun-ownership states. They've got great rhetoric...but completely ignore the hard numbers.

And the above sarcasm is a wonderful example of why the homicide rate is significantly higher in most high-gun-ownership states (read: red states) than it is in low-gun-ownership states. They've got great rhetoric...but completely ignore the hard numbers.
So what is your solution. You seem to have plenty of hate towards gun owners.

Back
Top Bottom