• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you a Baptist?

Are you a Baptist?

• Total voters

CaughtInThe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I am not and therefore voted no. I am not even sure what a Baptist is other than I think it’s one of the sects of Christianity that is occasionally battling it out with the other sects. Are these the folks that dunk people in water at churches? I remember attending a few of those as a kid and not really understanding what was going on.

I was baptized in the Methodist church, but I'm an atheist.

Once upon a time...

Yes or No

It's one church I tried. It was the most 'progressive' I attended, but it wasn't. We had a lesbian pastor, but church members were 100% behind making homosexuals sign an oath to not engage in sexual activity while a law student at a local college.

They had such rule for straight people. I saw it for what it was and left.

I have found that the church goers are really nice people at church. In time I couldn't take their judgement and left.

I will though make the point that the largest Baptist church in Vancouver spends millions on the poor, feeding and housing them. It is the most wealthy congregations in the province and they put their money where their mouth is. They feed hundreds of people free lunch every day.

Was brought up fire and brimstone Southern Baptist until the age of 11, also went to Southern Methodist at times, switched to/baptized Lutheran; am an atheist.

12 years of catholic education here and I never succumbed to the brainwashing. 1st grade till 12th grade.
I guess this is why when I saw people brainwashed by Trump in a matter of months I knew they were no rock scientists.

I have to add that even though I was baptized Methodist, the only church I remember going to as a child was Beth Eden Baptist. 🤷‍♀️

I am not and therefore voted no. I am not even sure what a Baptist is other than I think it’s one of the sects of Christianity that is occasionally battling it out with the other sects. Are these the folks that dunk people in water at churches? I remember attending a few of those as a kid and not really understanding what was going on.

Dunking people in water is not unique to Baptists, but unlike many other denominations they believe that is the only acceptable way to baptize people. This is because being dunked underwater symbolizes death (the appearance of a burial) and being brought back up symbolizes rebirth (coming out of the grave). All Christians believe they are dead in sin and alive in Christ. The procedure also symbolizes a spiritual cleansing of the body because it is clean water. So it is only done after a person is born again. Its purpose is to be a public display of the person's conversion to Christ, who commanded his followers to be baptized one time.

Many born-again Christians believe all that matters is the parents are Christians and pour or sprinkle water on newborn babies. I always believed this is ridiculous because it is the same as baptizing someone who vowed to never be a Christian. A person must be born again first to be baptized and it must be done this way, not simply getting hair wet. So what Baptists do is have a baby dedication ceremony in which parents of infants and toddlers come up front to pledge their children will be raised in the church and the kids receive blessings from the pastor.

All that said, I voted no because although I totally agree with some Baptist beliefs such as this one, as a Democrat I cannot tolerate their refusal to let women be pastors and church leaders or conservative views on topics such as homosexuality and abortion.

I have heard a lot of talk about "southern Baptists". Are they that different ideologically from other kinds of Baptists, or just that they live geographically in the south?

I have heard a lot of talk about "southern Baptists". Are they that different ideologically from other kinds of Baptists, or just that they live geographically in the south?
My personal experience was/is they like to yell more, and louder, thump their bibles harder while doing so as they strut back and forth across the stage, and make damned sure if you don't toe the hardcore Southern Baptist theological line ( such as it is ) --- off to the lake of fire and eternal damnation after drawing your last earthly breath. - All in all, such a soothing, peaceful, loving message to convey to an impressionable young child. :rolleyes:

Not a single Baptist on this site?

My personal experience was/is they like to yell more, and louder, thump their bibles harder while doing so as they strut back and forth across the stage, and make damned sure if you don't toe the hardcore Southern Baptist theological line ( such as it is ) --- off to the lake of fire and eternal damnation after drawing your last earthly breath. - All in all, such a soothing, peaceful, loving message to convey to an impressionable young child. :rolleyes:

Interesting. I was just looking this up, and learned that Southern Baptists separated from the northern Baptists before the Civil War, around 1845, over the questions of whether slavery was acceptable. The southern Baptist believed that slavery was OK and even proscribed by scripture:

"[Slavery] was established by decree of Almighty God...it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation...it has existed in all ages, has been found among the people of the highest civilization, and in nations of the highest proficiency in the arts."
-Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America.

"There is not one verse in the Bible inhibiting slavery, but many regulating it. It is not then, we conclude, immoral."
-Rev. Alexander Campbell, 1861

"The right of holding slaves is clearly established in the Holy Scriptures, both by precept and example."
-Rev. R. Furman, D.D., Baptist, of South Carolina, 1861

"... under the same protection as any other species of lawful property...That the Ten Commandments are the word of G-d, and as such, of the very highest authority, is acknowledged by Christians as well as by Jews...How dare you, in the face of the sanction and protection afforded to slave property in the Ten Commandments--how dare you denounce slaveholding as a sin? When you remember that Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Job--the men with whom the Almighty conversed, with whose names he emphatically connects his own most holy name, and to whom He vouchsafed to give the character of 'perfect, upright, fearing G-d and eschewing evil' (Job 1:8)--that all these men were slaveholders, does it not strike you that you are guilty of something very little short of blasphemy?"
-MJ Raphall, 1861

They have more recently apologized for this position. So I guess rather than just generally being louder and generally more socially conservative than their Northern cousins, I am not sure there is ideologically that big a difference between them anymore:

“ The Southern Baptist Convention has tried before to atone for its past. The denomination began in 1845 when it split from Baptists in the North over slavery. ”

Interesting. I was just looking this up, and learned that Southern Baptists separated from the northern Baptists before the Civil War, around 1845, over the questions of whether slavery was acceptable. The southern Baptist believed that slavery was OK and even proscribed by scripture:

"[Slavery] was established by decree of Almighty God...it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation...it has existed in all ages, has been found among the people of the highest civilization, and in nations of the highest proficiency in the arts."

"There is not one verse in the Bible inhibiting slavery, but many regulating it. It is not then, we conclude, immoral."

"The right of holding slaves is clearly established in the Holy Scriptures, both by precept and example."

"... under the same protection as any other species of lawful property...That the Ten Commandments are the word of G-d, and as such, of the very highest authority, is acknowledged by Christians as well as by Jews...How dare you, in the face of the sanction and protection afforded to slave property in the Ten Commandments--how dare you denounce slaveholding as a sin? When you remember that Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Job--the men with whom the Almighty conversed, with whose names he emphatically connects his own most holy name, and to whom He vouchsafed to give the character of 'perfect, upright, fearing G-d and eschewing evil' (Job 1:8)--that all these men were slaveholders, does it not strike you that you are guilty of something very little short of blasphemy?"
-MJ Raphall, 1861

They have more recently apologized for this position. So I guess rather than just generally being louder and generally more socially conservative than their Northern cousins, I am not sure there is ideologically that big a difference between them anymore:

“ The Southern Baptist Convention has tried before to atone for its past. The denomination began in 1845 when it split from Baptists in the North over slavery. ”
When I attended the Southern Baptist Church, it was between 1953 and 1963, before the Civil Rights Act was passed. Blacks weren't allowed to go into the building at all, and the so-called "Pastor" was very prone to using the "N" word. --- Full disclosure: My paternal grandfather was a Deacon at the Southern Methodist Church, a town judge, and a big shot in the KKK. He took myself and my two brothers to a KKK initiation/cross burning 'ceremony' in 1957 when I was 4 years old on a huge piece of property he owned in rural SE Ok.

When I attended the Southern Baptist Church, it was between 1953 and 1963, before the Civil Rights Act was passed. Blacks weren't allowed to go into the building at all, and the so-called "Pastor" was very prone to using the "N" word. --- Full disclosure: My paternal grandfather was a Deacon at the Southern Methodist Church, a town judge, and a big shot in the KKK. He took myself and my two brothers to a KKK initiation/cross burning 'ceremony' in 1957 when I was 4 years old on a huge piece of property he owned in rural SE Ok.
And, unfortunately, this abomination still exists.

-MJ Raphall, 1861

And Papal Bulls opened the slave trade around the world. Catholics are not the nice people portrayed in movies. They continue to hide and protect thousands of priests accused of sexual battery, buggery, rape etc.

Yeah, of course God intended women to be slaves to men.

no Baptists here. that's really weird.

I’ve never been part of the Baptist denomination.

Back
Top Bottom