• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are we witnessing the beginning of the implosion of the Trump political juggernaut?

Are we witnessing the beginning of the implosion of the Trump political juggernaut?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

Right now. Today. Be wild and crazy and make a guess.

He's on the defensive on several issues. His bombastic rhetoric isn't being as wildly received, or ignored, as it had been. What should be allies are now actively distancing themselves from him. His level of interest is waning, he can't even be bothered to make campaign revenue calls, and he's not willing to put up any more of his own money.

Re: Are we witnessing the beginning of the implosion of the Trump political juggernau

I keep saying that and be wrong, so I'll just believe it when I see it.

Re: Are we witnessing the beginning of the implosion of the Trump political juggernau

I have thought Trump was done several times. I have been wrong every one.
I keep saying that and be wrong, so I'll just believe it when I see it.

I have thought Trump was done several times. I have been wrong every one.

We've all been wrong on that. I was thinking Trump was done after that very first GOP Primary Debate with Megyn Kelly.

There never was a start to the "Trump Juggernaut". He won the Republican primaries because he represents their base. Their base is exactly why they have won the popular vote in a presidential election just once since 1988. He is going to get creamed in November by a flawed Democratic candidate. The base then will think the answer to 2020 is to run someone that is further to the right and even more of a bigot, do their typical Reagan circle jerk, and lose yet another presidential election.

Until the right figures out that they have to broaden their base by moderating their positions, they will continue to lose presidential election after presidential election. Oh, and before someone says "Romney". Exactly what issue did Romney not run as a typical doctrinaire Republican on in 2012?

The implosion is happening right before our eyes.
- Not only does he only have $1.9 million on hand (for ****s sake, Ben Carson still has more money on hand than he does),
-but "Not only are Trump's poll numbers slipping, they are at a low that no one, Republican or Democrat, has seen in the past three election cycles. Looking at the window of time between 200 and 100 days before each of those elections, you can see that Trump has consistently polled worse than George W. Bush in 2004, John McCain in 2008 and Mitt Romney in 2012. He caught up briefly after clinching the GOP nomination — and then sank again"
-and "The margin by which he trails Hillary Clinton now mirrors McCain's deficit to Barack Obama in 2008. McCain rebounded after the Republican convention — but it's important to remember that we're comparing Trump to the worst Republican performance in a general election since 1996"
-and he essentially only has 30 full time staff and he "has indicated that he doesn't plan to increase staff, either. On Friday, the Associated Press reported that Trump intended, in effect, to outsource his campaign to the Republican Party. As of right now, "the campaign estimates it currently has about 30 paid staff on the ground across the country," according to the report."
-and he is not focusing on any of the battle ground states...
Source for these claims and quotes here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d-trump/?postshare=4961466451995675&tid=ss_fb

To say it nicely, "Trump is ****ed"

He's on the defensive on several issues. His bombastic rhetoric isn't being as wildly received, or ignored, as it had been. What should be allies are now actively distancing themselves from him. His level of interest is waning, he can't even be bothered to make campaign revenue calls, and he's not willing to put up any more of his own money.

No, Trump is not going to implode. Here's another thing he's not going to do - Win the Presidential election

No, Trump is not going to implode. Here's another thing he's not going to do - Win the Presidential election

Yep. Trump's numbers have tanked.

We've all been wrong on that. I was thinking Trump was done after that very first GOP Primary Debate with Megyn Kelly.

He was preaching to the choir in the xenophobic and bigoted Republican base. The general election is an entirely different animal.

I don't see him winning, either, but are you saying that he's going to carry the torch with enthusiasm all the way to the end?

I sincerely hope that Trump's campaign survives just long enough to make his nomination official next month. Then I hope his campaign absolutely falls apart.

There exists a scourge in the Republican party, and only by hitting rock bottom will they have a chance to purge it.

If it sounds like I am suggesting that Trump may have been the best thing to happen to the Republican party in decades--yes. I absolutely am. The question is whether the Republican base will capitalize on this opportunity to look themselves in the mirror and see who they really are. But I am not counting on them to do that. For the time being, I think that the only way to stop enabling Republicans is to make absolutely sure that as few as possible of them are elected, even if that risks the party ceasing to exist soon.

At this point I think the Repubs are stuck with Trump. I think he will lose to the politician I thought would be the worst nominee for Pres ever, simply because the Repubs found someone worse. I do not look for the Repub party to change in the next 4 or 8 years. The hysterical shrilling at and about Hillary will drive their heads deeper in the RWNM where they will be further indoctrinated, pushed further to the right, and find an even nuttier nut job than Trump.
I sincerely hope that Trump's campaign survives just long enough to make his nomination official next month. Then I hope his campaign absolutely falls apart.

There exists a scourge in the Republican party, and only by hitting rock bottom will they have a chance to purge it.

If it sounds like I am suggesting that Trump may have been the best thing to happen to the Republican party in decades--yes. I absolutely am. The question is whether the Republican base will capitalize on this opportunity to look themselves in the mirror and see who they really are. But I am not counting on them to do that. For the time being, I think that the only way to stop enabling Republicans is to make absolutely sure that as few as possible of them are elected, even if that risks the party ceasing to exist soon.

At this point I think the Repubs are stuck with Trump. I think he will lose to the politician I thought would be the worst nominee for Pres ever, simply because the Repubs found someone worse. I do not look for the Repub party to change in the next 4 or 8 years. The hysterical shrilling at and about Hillary will drive their heads deeper in the RWNM where they will be further indoctrinated, pushed further to the right, and find an even nuttier nut job than Trump.

After Hillary is elected they will do absolutely zero governing in the House for the next 4 years. Moreover, they will engage in so much hatemongering that their base even gets more angry, more bigoted, and more xenophobic, and as you said ends up running an even bigger nutjob in 2020. Thus they will end up having won the popular vote just once in over 30 years by then.

Had you said this just a year or two ago, I would have dismissed it. But as many of us have admitted, there is no telling how low the Republican party will go now. It has proven that it is no longer above most reckless comment or terrible acts of judgment.

The whole world is laughing at Trump's rise, and US conservatives and some libertarians are the only ones who are somehow unable to see it.

The implosion is happening right before our eyes.
- Not only does he only have $1.9 million on hand (for ****s sake, Ben Carson still has more money on hand than he does),
-but "Not only are Trump's poll numbers slipping, they are at a low that no one, Republican or Democrat, has seen in the past three election cycles. Looking at the window of time between 200 and 100 days before each of those elections, you can see that Trump has consistently polled worse than George W. Bush in 2004, John McCain in 2008 and Mitt Romney in 2012. He caught up briefly after clinching the GOP nomination — and then sank again"
-and "The margin by which he trails Hillary Clinton now mirrors McCain's deficit to Barack Obama in 2008. McCain rebounded after the Republican convention — but it's important to remember that we're comparing Trump to the worst Republican performance in a general election since 1996"
-and he essentially only has 30 full time staff and he "has indicated that he doesn't plan to increase staff, either. On Friday, the Associated Press reported that Trump intended, in effect, to outsource his campaign to the Republican Party. As of right now, "the campaign estimates it currently has about 30 paid staff on the ground across the country," according to the report."
-and he is not focusing on any of the battle ground states...
Source for these claims and quotes here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d-trump/?postshare=4961466451995675&tid=ss_fb

To say it nicely, "Trump is ****ed"

All of the bolded are things that he could fix by making a decision. Yeah there's money involved, but that shouldn't be a surprise, I'm sure he knew it would take money to get elected when he started his campaign. Besides that, all it would take is a decision, him making the call to do it and putting his people to the task of hiring more manpower, get a ground game going (better late than never, but a fair margin) especially in the swing states. I can't think of any reason for a candidate to be stubborn on these points unless they were afraid of winning or didn't care/think it mattered and wanted to pinch pennies.

Long-term, yes. There's a part of me that wants the Rep Party to completely crash-and-burn. Doing so will be the fastest and best way for it to re-emerge stronger than before after having jettisoned it's brain-dead uber-right baggage.

Then maybe the Dem Party can do the same thing.

I'm not big on prognostication myself, but from what I've observed, every prediction of his downfall this far has been proven completely wrong. If the crystal balls the "experts" use were more accurate he would already have been relegated to a footnote in the primary stage, not the presumptive Republican candidate.

Long-term, yes. There's a part of me that wants the Rep Party to completely crash-and-burn. Doing so will be the fastest and best way for it to re-emerge stronger than before after having jettisoned it's brain-dead uber-right baggage.

Then maybe the Dem Party can do the same thing.

Was gonna give your post a like until that last line. Bernie Sanders, while he was as obnoxious as hell, brought a conversation to the Democratic party that they had been needing to have. But whether progressivism stays alive or withers away will partly depend on how effectively Sanders can hand off the torch. And so far he has been spectacularly petulant about it.

Was gonna give your post a like until that last line. Bernie Sanders, while he was as obnoxious as hell, brought a conversation to the Democratic party that they had been needing to have. But whether progressivism stays alive or withers away will partly depend on how effectively Sanders can hand off the torch. And so far he has been spectacularly petulant about it.
Sanders did, but that's because he's legit. Sanders talked issues, while Trump talked Trump. The Dems have many of the same issues as the Reps, albeit maybe not quite as whack-jobbish. Sanders wouldn't have done nearly as well as he did if the Dems didn't have similar issues. Issues such as doing things for political expediency, ignoring the base, and so on.

He was preaching to the choir in the xenophobic and bigoted Republican base. The general election is an entirely different animal.

Actually, most of us in the Republican base didn't vote for him. It was the idiots who did vote for him who are as you described. I'm neither a xenophobe nor a bigot. That's why I wouldn't vote for Trump for anything.

I voted "I sure hope so" but I have a better chance of finishing first in the Kentucky Derby than I have of seeing that clown go away. His fan base is very broad...and very moonbat heavy.

Actually, most of us in the Republican base didn't vote for him. It was the idiots who did vote for him who are as you described. I'm neither a xenophobe nor a bigot. That's why I wouldn't vote for Trump for anything.

That doesn't disprove anything southern dem said.

It was only a matter of Time until the GOP came to the table with their own George McGovern. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom