• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are we witnessing the beginning of the implosion of the Trump political juggernaut?

Are we witnessing the beginning of the implosion of the Trump political juggernaut?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Are we witnessing the beginning of the implosion of the Trump political juggernau

There never was a start to the "Trump Juggernaut". He won the Republican primaries because he represents their base. Their base is exactly why they have won the popular vote in a presidential election just once since 1988. He is going to get creamed in November by a flawed Democratic candidate. The base then will think the answer to 2020 is to run someone that is further to the right and even more of a bigot, do their typical Reagan circle jerk, and lose yet another presidential election.

Until the right figures out that they have to broaden their base by moderating their positions, they will continue to lose presidential election after presidential election. Oh, and before someone says "Romney". Exactly what issue did Romney not run as a typical doctrinaire Republican on in 2012?

My Dad is convinced that Hillary will win, and get 2 terms, then in 2024 his money is on Paul Ryan vs Elizabeth Warren. That would lack the carnal perversion of this election cycle but it would be nice to not have to vote for the less corrupt/dishonest/borderline evil candidate and maybe have an issue-based election season...but time will tell. At this point 4 years ago nobody was thinking 2016 - Trump vs Hillary

Re: Are we witnessing the beginning of the implosion of the Trump political juggernau

My Dad is convinced that Hillary will win, and get 2 terms, then in 2024 his money is on Paul Ryan vs Elizabeth Warren. That would lack the carnal perversion of this election cycle but it would be nice to not have to vote for the less corrupt/dishonest/borderline evil candidate and maybe have an issue-based election season...but time will tell. At this point 4 years ago nobody was thinking 2016 - Trump vs Hillary

There is no telling who will be around in 2024.

Right now. Today. Be wild and crazy and make a guess.

He's on the defensive on several issues. His bombastic rhetoric isn't being as wildly received, or ignored, as it had been. What should be allies are now actively distancing themselves from him. His level of interest is waning, he can't even be bothered to make campaign revenue calls, and he's not willing to put up any more of his own money.

Well, if your poll had just been Yes, No or I don't know, I would have responded. Since you saw fit to include snarky ****, I passed it by.

Anyway, as others have said, people are constantly predicting Trump's implosion...and it hasn't happened yet.

But hey...go ahead and be a good little liberal-type person and keep wishing...keep saying it'll happen. Who knows, you could be right one of these days.

GOP Voters Still Support Trump’s Muslim Ban - Rasmussen Reports™
Poll: Half of American voters back Trump's Muslim ban | TheHill

I would also point out that New Hampshire is about as representative of the Republican base as Oklahoma is of the Democratic base. He got more votes than any other Republican ever has in the primaries. The problem is the base. They picked the guy.

Think about it this way. If Bernie Sanders won the Democratic nomination by a solid margin and the Democrats as a result went on to a huge defeat in November (as they would with Bernie as their candidate running against anyone other than Trump). I don't think it would be controversial to say that the Democratic base had moved way to far to the left for the party to be competitive in a presidential election and thus the problem is that the base needs to support more moderate candidates with broader appeal.

March. It's now June. I was hoping for something a little more recent.

Just curious why you think NH is not representative of the Republican base. Do you think we're phony Republican voters up here?

After Hillary is elected they will do absolutely zero governing in the House for the next 4 years. Moreover, they will engage in so much hatemongering that their base even gets more angry, more bigoted, and more xenophobic, and as you said ends up running an even bigger nutjob in 2020. Thus they will end up having won the popular vote just once in over 30 years by then.

Well I wouldn't say the house will do zero legislating...i bet they'll still vote to give themselves pay raises...

There is no telling who will be around in 2024.

For sure, I was just sharing someones guesses on a thread about guessing stuff :)

Cruz is the worst of the rest, so I am sure that is next up. I have been afraid to say that out loud. I think Christie was the least crazy and probably be the best president of the potentials at the beginning.

I'm glad you said Christie and not Walker

ME too.
I'm glad you said Christie and not Walker

There never was a start to the "Trump Juggernaut". He won the Republican primaries because he represents their base. Their base is exactly why they have won the popular vote in a presidential election just once since 1988. He is going to get creamed in November by a flawed Democratic candidate. The base then will think the answer to 2020 is to run someone that is further to the right and even more of a bigot, do their typical Reagan circle jerk, and lose yet another presidential election.

Until the right figures out that they have to broaden their base by moderating their positions, they will continue to lose presidential election after presidential election. Oh, and before someone says "Romney". Exactly what issue did Romney not run as a typical doctrinaire Republican on in 2012?

I agree that the base is very responsible, but they shouldn't take all the blame.

For instance lets look at Romney. If he tried to be more moderate, he still wouldn't have won, because that was never his problem. His problem was that he symbolised the 1%, all of his scandals was related to that, and he couldn't inspire anyone outside the 1%. Poor potential Republican voters stayed home, or voted for Obama.

So why was Romney nominated, instead of someone more reasonable. Because the donor class loved Romney, and they put their own interest over electability. Too much money in politics is one of main reason Republicans keep losing elections. Reasonable candidates do not dare to challenge the chosen candidate, because he will spend tens of million dollars to attack them.

Actually, most of us didn't vote for him.

I haven't seen any polls of Republicans lately on the Muslim ban. Do you have any links I can look at? I remember some polls a few months back that showed that over half of Americans supported the ban, including something like 6 out of 10 independents.

I don't know how many votes all other candidates got versus Trump's in total, but I do know in New Hampshire most of us didn't vote for him by a pretty wide margin. Our votes were split up between people like Rubio, Kasich, etc.

Pg 18 of 78:

Republicans support Trump nominee at 51%, as slim as majorities can get but still a majority.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2016/images/06/21/rel7b.-.2016.general.pdf

So in at least one CNN poll, a majority of Republicans endorsed Trump. Further, it is clear that Trump received far more Republican support than any other Republican candidate, in spite of generally spending less on his campaign than many of his peers.

Just curious why you think NH is not representative of the Republican base. Do you think we're phony Republican voters up here?

Place of residence would potentially be a confounding variable that is able to influence opinions.

It seems that you would be the one who differentiated NH republicans from the consensus of all other republicans (Trump), so i'm confused about why you would be defensive about the consideration ?

I thought Christie was one of the least crazy too until I saw him standing behind Trump, looking at him lovingly as if he wanted to massage him with hot oils.

I will never be able to unsee that in my mind. Thanks.
I thought Christie was one of the least crazy too until I saw him standing behind Trump, looking at him lovingly as if he wanted to massage him with hot oils.

I agree that the base is very responsible, but they shouldn't take all the blame.

For instance lets look at Romney. If he tried to be more moderate, he still wouldn't have won, because that was never his problem. His problem was that he symbolised the 1%, all of his scandals was related to that, and he couldn't inspire anyone outside the 1%. Poor potential Republican voters stayed home, or voted for Obama.

So why was Romney nominated, instead of someone more reasonable. Because the donor class loved Romney, and they put their own interest over electability. Too much money in politics is one of main reason Republicans keep losing elections. Reasonable candidates do not dare to challenge the chosen candidate, because he will spend tens of million dollars to attack them.

Who in the primary process in 2012 was more "reasonable" than Romney?

I voted for him enthusiastically in the General Election. I did not vote for him in the primary but I did give it serious thought.

There's no option for just "no".

There will be a brief, abortive attempt at the convention to dump him. It will fail. He will be the nominee and destroy the GOP, and the ****ing idiots who voted for him in the primary will get to think warm thoughts about how they managed to undo 6 years of hard-fought gains, damage the party for decades, and ensure Democrat rule.

Trump's skin is oddly reminiscent of chicken.

dfb3daf0cb754261b8a334338e378e02.jpg

It could be that the hot oil Christie had in mind was honey bbq flavored.

I will never be able to unsee that in my mind. Thanks.

Those of us who have him as our governor (Democrats, Republicans, and Independents) consider him a political chameleon...and a guy every bit as self-absorbed as Donald Trump.

Well, if your poll had just been Yes, No or I don't know, I would have responded. Since you saw fit to include snarky ****, I passed it by.

DP will never get over the loss

The Republican base is largely very socially conservative. Would you say that New Hampshire is a very religious and very socially conservative state? How much does it look like Alabama? Not much. The Republican base is largely in the South, rural areas of the Mountain West, and the Plains States. The Democratic base is largely in the Northeast, Upper Midwest, and West Coast. If you want to get an idea about what a typical Republican voter looks like, spend some time in my home state of Arkansas or in much of Texas.

Republicans in the Northeast are not really in the "big tent". Yall are more in the vestibule that's attached to that tent.;)

I know Trump will lose -- I am for him, but I know he can not win.

Anyway, as others have said, people are constantly predicting Trump's implosion...and it hasn't happened yet.

But hey...go ahead and be a good little liberal-type person and keep wishing...keep saying it'll happen. Who knows, you could be right one of these days.
Either you or someone else made a comment similar to this regarding my polls awhile back. If you're hoping my feelings have been hurt and I'll mend my ways, I guess you'll just have to be disappointed in the futility of your protest.

I could see Ryan still being around, but I don't see Warren being there.

That scene seriously stripped away all pretense of credibility that Christie was still clinging to.

Right now. Today. Be wild and crazy and make a guess.

He's on the defensive on several issues. His bombastic rhetoric isn't being as wildly received, or ignored, as it had been. What should be allies are now actively distancing themselves from him. His level of interest is waning, he can't even be bothered to make campaign revenue calls, and he's not willing to put up any more of his own money.

Yes, because only the dumbest of the dumb are left defending him. Those with two fully functioning brain cells to rub together have abandoned him.

Yes, because only the dumbest of the dumb are left defending him. Those with two fully functioning brain cells to rub together have abandoned him.

And Hillary supporters are gifted?

Back
Top Bottom