• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are we still a democracy?

Glowpun

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The Romney-Ryan ticket is bad for women, minorities, poor whites. the billionaire CEOs are threatening their employees that if they don't vote for the R-R ticket they will likely lose their jobs while they continue to live a very high lifestyle. The way it can be viewed, they want to take this country back to the England of Charles Dickens where the rich held sway over the masses. The question is: are voters foolish enough to vote in the R-R ticket?

I must tell you, if the R-R ticket holds sway, it is very possible that this USA can go the way of other countries such as the Philippines or some South American country where a few own virtually the economy of that country. But wait, the Republican Party is 93% white. The census shows that whites are becoming a minority and presumably therefore the Republican Party will diminish its economic strangle hold over time. So perhaps time is on the side of the Democratic Party!

You're one of those genocidal happy maniacs aren't ya?

I would have preferred a Ryan-Romney ticket to a Romney-Ryan ticket better yet a Cane/Ryan or visa verso. That said what is bad for minorities and the poor is what the Democrats stand for making it hard for business to form and employ people. Encouraging a reliance on welfare programs that are built to keep them dependent on the government as opposed to just being a safety net. They want the Government to hold sway over the masses and yes they will ignore maltreatment of any Corporations that pay them enough in companion contributions and openly support their policies. I do personally worry that corporations might someday own just about everything and the "rich" might have it in them to own most of the rest, but this possible situation would be caused by the preferential treatment of corporations as opposed to sole proprietor and partnerships that the Democratic demonize. I think the Democratic Party is at the end of the line and America is technically bankrupt and will go down the drain if we keep borrowing money that we would not be able to pay back. If the Republican Party cannot be the Party of fiscal responsibility then yes the Republican Party must go and be replaced by another.

To quote the Caterpillar the Democratic Party is "wrong from beginning to end". In its foundation it was wrong to endorse and implement genocide against the Iriqous Nations and continue that policy there forth. It was wrong to support in the maintaining of slavery and the institutions that support it. It was wrong for its actions against religious minorities such as Catholics. It was wrong when Reconstruction ended and Jim Crow was made. It was wrong for supporting and even cajoling the acts of murder and terrorism against blacks. It was wrong for inhibiting the ability of blacks improving their lot. And when all this ended it was wrong to apply welfare as a means to make black people dependent on it and to break up black families with the program WIC. Now when America will need to bite the bullet and to chose what parts to cut the Democratic Party is going to try to pull the country down with him.

I know that this is not what you were expecting but then this does not appear to be a serious post either.

Not with the way campaign finance is, the winner takes all system, gerrymandering, the primary election system, and the electoral college. Democracy is a very strong word to describe what we have in this country.

Our country may have a crappy two party system and citizens united, but we are still a democracy. This is just the usual sensationalist hyperbole from people with no sense of perspective and a partisan axe to grind.

No, and we never were. We were and are supposed to be a limited constitutional republic, but now we are a nation governed by executive orders and activist judges...

there's nobody following us into the booth with a gun to coerce our vote, so democratic principles are intact. if we as a nation choose the path of neoconservative plutocracy, I find that unfortunate. however, I can still vote, and will do so.

The Romney-Ryan ticket is bad for women, minorities, poor whites. the billionaire CEOs are threatening their employees that if they don't vote for the R-R ticket they will likely lose their jobs while they continue to live a very high lifestyle. The way it can be viewed, they want to take this country back to the England of Charles Dickens where the rich held sway over the masses. The question is: are voters foolish enough to vote in the R-R ticket?

I must tell you, if the R-R ticket holds sway, it is very possible that this USA can go the way of other countries such as the Philippines or some South American country where a few own virtually the economy of that country. But wait, the Republican Party is 93% white. The census shows that whites are becoming a minority and presumably therefore the Republican Party will diminish its economic strangle hold over time. So perhaps time is on the side of the Democratic Party!

Considering that the Obama administration is continuing drone strikes and categorizes bystanders killed in those attacks as "retroactive terrorists" just because they happen to be near a terrorist suspect - not someone convicted of terrorism but rather someone suspected of terrorism - and how hard the Obama administration has told the DEA to crack down on medical marijuana dispensaries, and that NDAA 2012 and SOPA had many Democratic supporters as well, I don't have as much faith in the Democratic Party as you do.

No, and we never were. We were and are supposed to be a limited constitutional republic, but now we are a nation governed by executive orders and activist judges...

Actually, a republic is any government that is not a monarchy.

So what we are is a constitutional representative democracy.

"Activist" judges have long since existed. The term is more demonstrative of the hurler than it is of the recipient.

and corporate money.

This country has never been a democracy.
We are a republic with democratically elected representatives.

Romney –Ryan want you to earn and produce your own money not take it from others.

It always amazes me how those that call others racist, always separate people by race.

So if we elect Romney we are not a democracy but if we elect Obama we are? Here I thought this was actually gonna be a real question.....

You mean like those 5 conservative activists on the supreme court that gave us the Beauty that is "citizens united"?

Everyone is still free to make their own decisions, or to be a tool for one side or the other if they choose not to think the way the other side wants them to.

Democracy is fundamentally dependent on informed and motivated civic engagement of its people.

Libya is democratic. Iceland is democratic. Hell, Hong Kong is democratic. The US won't be a functional democracy until we can raise voter education, lower voter apathy, and get rid of this damn partisan bull**** that drags our national consciousness past the actual issues we should be concerned about, like how to feed our children in the next 50 years.

I was thinking the other day with computers it may be possible for this counrty to be a true democracy some day. Get rid of congress and the senate, let the people vote...POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!

Sorry, got kinda carried away there...:3oops:
Democracy is fundamentally dependent on informed and motivated civic engagement of its people.

Libya is democratic. Iceland is democratic. Hell, Hong Kong is democratic. The US won't be a functional democracy until we can raise voter education, lower voter apathy, and get rid of this damn partisan bull**** that drags our national consciousness past the actual issues we should be concerned about, like how to feed our children in the next 50 years.

So you think Obama might lose, huh?

I was thinking the other day with computers it may be possible for this counrty to be a true democracy some day. Get rid of congress and the senate, let the people vote...POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!

Sorry, got kinda carried away there...:3oops:
A true democracy would still be chaos unless you can somehow get everyone to understand everything across all relevant fields of study before they actually voted.

More important is the ability of a population to hold its elected officials accountable.

Actually, a republic is any government that is not a monarchy.

So what we are is a constitutional representative democracy.

18th and early 19th century thinkers such as Montesquieu or Kant usually call our kind of system a "republic", in contrast to ancient Greek style direct "democracy", even when it's a (constitutional/parliamentary) monarchy. In modern use, at least over here in Europe, seems to be the definitions you use, with "democracy" being short for "representative democratic system with a constitution protecting civil rights". Probably because there have been so many "republics" in the past which weren't democratic or constitutional at all. It often confused me.

Hmmm, I'll post the counter part partisan is democracy still viable.

If Obama is re-elected, the economy will so collapse that that it will make the Great Depression seem like a time of economic boom - and the number of people dying of starvation and homelessness will rapidly worsen. Yet as tens of millions wonder where their next Obama-meal might come from, it will not match the worldwide genocide of the human race when nuclear holocaust breaks out beginning in the Middle East started by Obama's Islamic jihadist zealot pals.

Thus, the question is not whether we remain a democracy if Obama is re-elected or even whether we can withstand the total economic collapse that another 4 years of Obama will certainly bring - mostly against the poor, handicapped and elderly, but rather whether the human race or any other life on earth can survive another Obama term? If Obama is re-elected, we all die. Why can't people see that?!

Now it's the OP's turn to escalate by posting an even more hysterial message against Romney more than I just posted about Obama. Afterall, politics really is a fear-mongering contest, isn't it?

Last edited:
The US is as much a democracy as Iran is.

In reality, Iran is a theocracy and the US is a plutocracy. The elected leaders are just puppets for their masters (the Ayatollah in Iran and oil co./Wall St. CEOs in the US).

When you vote for a candidate, you vote for his/her sponsors, nothing more. Those sponsors will then suck up the taxpayer dollars.

Back
Top Bottom