• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are we headed into a new Pilocene era

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
Earth has been warming since the last ice age and I suppose a "worse case scenario" is we will enter another Pliocene era. I put quotes around worse case scenario because that is subjective and in reality there is nothing worse about it just different. Earth has been much warmer before and flourished so all this scary talk about earth getting warmer is not scary at all to anyone who can see the big picture. The climate changes dramatically and it does so often. It's kind of like been there done that, yawn.

"The global average temperature in the mid-Pliocene (3.3–3 mya) was 2–3 °C higher than today,[SUP][7][/SUP] global sea level 25 m higher[SUP][8][/SUP] and the Northern hemisphere ice sheet was ephemeral before the onset of extensive glaciation over Greenland that occurred in the late Pliocene around 3 Ma.[SUP][9][/SUP] The formation of an Arctic ice cap is signaled by an abrupt shift in oxygen isotope ratios and ice-rafted cobbles in the North Atlantic and North Pacific ocean beds.[SUP][10][/SUP] Mid-latitude glaciation was probably underway before the end of the epoch. The global cooling that occurred during the Pliocene may have spurred on the disappearance of forests and the spread of grasslands and savannas."[SUP][/SUP]

Earth has been warming since the last ice age and I suppose a "worse case scenario" is we will enter another Pliocene era. I put quotes around worse case scenario because that is subjective and in reality there is nothing worse about it just different. Earth has been much warmer before and flourished so all this scary talk about earth getting warmer is not scary at all to anyone who can see the big picture. The climate changes dramatically and it does so often. It's kind of like been there done that, yawn.

"The global average temperature in the mid-Pliocene (3.3–3 mya) was 2–3 °C higher than today,[SUP][7][/SUP] global sea level 25 m higher[SUP][8][/SUP] and the Northern hemisphere ice sheet was ephemeral before the onset of extensive glaciation over Greenland that occurred in the late Pliocene around 3 Ma.[SUP][9][/SUP] The formation of an Arctic ice cap is signaled by an abrupt shift in oxygen isotope ratios and ice-rafted cobbles in the North Atlantic and North Pacific ocean beds.[SUP][10][/SUP] Mid-latitude glaciation was probably underway before the end of the epoch. The global cooling that occurred during the Pliocene may have spurred on the disappearance of forests and the spread of grasslands and savannas."[SUP][/SUP]

Odd that someone who is so prescient to see the 'big picture' neglects the fact that humans werent around in the pliocene and the issue is the rate of warming much more than the extent.

Maybe you need to back up a bit and see the edges of your picture.

Odd that someone who is so prescient to see the 'big picture' neglects the fact that humans werent around in the pliocene and the issue is the rate of warming much more than the extent.

Thank you for getting my point in your own way. Yes the earth was warmer before man ever got here. Now read the OP again and notice the passages in bold. Here I'll give you a hint. Things in the past before man did happen fast.

"abrupt shift"

Thank you for getting my point in your own way. Yes the earth was warmer before man ever got here. Now read the OP again and notice the passages in bold. Here I'll give you a hint. Things in the past before man did happen fast.

"abrupt shift"

Do you think historical rapid shifts are evidence that
1) mankind has minimal influence on climate
2) rapid climate shifts are not bad for us
3) neither

Ah...."Pliocene". For a second there I thought we were heading into the "Pillowcene" and was kind of looking forward to the nap.

Funny how someone who pretends to know so much about science neglects to consider the fact that it is impossible to extract decadal rate changes from the paleoclimate record so any claim of abnormal rate change is simply a base display of ignorance.

What got me started on this was there seems to be some mass hysteria developing about the C02 levels approaching or at least forecast to approach 400 parts per million. The fear mongers are acting like this is a magic number that will plunge us into another Pliocene type era. "Plunge" in reality means over a million years or so but still we should be afraid, VERY afraid! :lol:

Earth’s atmosphere hits highest level of CO2 in human history

The concentration of carbon dioxide, a harmful greenhouse gas, in the atmosphere has reached a distressing number, the highest it’s been in millions of years. Scientists warn that this is the result of man-made climate change.

Read more: Earth Be sure to watch the video from the SF local news and BE AFRAID! :lol:

Last edited:
Co2 was once over 1000ppm. So clearly 1000ppm is good for us.

Oh wait. No. I guess things are more complicated than that so this kind of discussion is silly. Never mind.

Co2 was once over 1000ppm. So clearly 1000ppm is good for us.

Oh wait. No. I guess things are more complicated than that so this kind of discussion is silly. Never mind.

If you are saying the hysteria over 400 parts per million being reached is silly, I agree.

Funny how someone who pretends to know so much about science neglects to consider the fact that it is impossible to extract decadal rate changes from the paleoclimate record so any claim of abnormal rate change is simply a base display of ignorance.

Once again.... do I believe NASA, NOAA and the AAAS, or jmotivator?

They all seem to think its a real problem. They actually DO the science.
Gosh. its a tough choice.

If you are saying the hysteria over 400 parts per million being reached is silly, I agree.

Will you change your mind about Global Warming if the second decade of the 21st century is filled with disasterous weather throughout North American and Europe?

Will you change your mind about Global Warming if the second decade of the 21st century is filled with disasterous weather throughout North American and Europe?

There is always "disastrous weather". Earth is a wild place and we are little ants scurrying around trying not to get swept off the planet. I lived through Mt St Helens, you wanna talk about disastrous weather. Being in a 6 inch ash fall sucks, trust me on this.

There is always "disastrous weather". Earth is a wild place and we are little ants scurrying around trying not to get swept off the planet. I lived through Mt St Helens, you wanna talk about disastrous weather. Being in a 6 inch ash fall sucks, trust me on this.

What evidence would you have to see to believe that global warming is manmade?

What evidence would you have to see to believe that global warming is manmade?

We have had this conversation in another thread. This thread is about rising C02 level alarmist and the fact that it is possible we could go into another very warm era, it's not like it hasn't happened before. No offense Kan but you are new here and I try to be polite but I have had the conversation you want to have countless times in here with people that come and go. I am tired of having it with every newbie that walks through the door. Look for a newbie that doesn't believe in AGW and you guys just go at it OK. :)

We have had this conversation in another thread. This thread is about rising C02 level alarmist and the fact that it is possible we could go into another very warm era, it's not like it hasn't happened before. No offense Kan but you are new here and I try to be polite but I have had the conversation you want to have countless times in here with people that come and go. I am tired of having it with every newbie that walks through the door. Look for a newbie that doesn't believe in AGW and you guys just go at it OK. :)

Is this your way of telling me that no amount of evidence would convince you that global warming is manmade?

Once again.... do I believe NASA, NOAA and the AAAS, or jmotivator?

They all seem to think its a real problem. They actually DO the science.
Gosh. its a tough choice.

I'm not asking you to believe me, I am asking you to use your brain rather than abdicate it to a badge.

Is this your way of telling me that no amount of evidence would convince you that global warming is manmade?

No its his way of telling you he doesnt want yet another futile repeat conversation with the latest blinkered AGW evangelist to show up and I know how he feels :roll:

No its his way of telling you he doesnt want yet another futile repeat conversation with the latest blinkered AGW evangelist to show up and I know how he feels :roll:

I had hoped that you and others who deny AGW would be interested in an intelligent conversation about GW.

I had hoped that you and others who deny AGW would be interested in an intelligent conversation about GW.

And I am sure I will be when I see some being presented here. So far its just the same old cliches presented in the same old fashion :(

And I am sure I will be when I see some being presented here. So far its just the same old cliches presented in the same old fashion :(

Yes. Cliches like this thread.

Excellent.

What are the scientific facts that lead you to believe that the current global warming is not manmade?

Back
Top Bottom