• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are we headed for another recession?

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]Stocks nosedive, Dow sheds nearly 800 points[/h]
[FONT=&quot]Stocks nosedived as a slew of concerns over trade tensions and an inversion in part of the U.S. yield curve spooked investors.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The S&P 500 (^GSPC) fell 3.24%, or 90.31 points, as of market close, with banking stocks leading declines. The Dow (^DJI) slid 3.1%, or 799.36 points, nearing the lowest levels of the session. The industrial bellwether Caterpillar (CAT) was the index’s worst performer, falling 6.93% to $129.32 per share as uncertainty over U.S.-China trade policy continued to brew. The Nasdaq (^IXIC) fell 3.8%, or 283.08 points.[/FONT]

It doesn't look very good right now at any rate.

Are we headed for another recession?

eventually. inertia and the temporary coke bump of the tax cuts have kept the economy going pretty well. however, the idiocy of this administration and its autocratic, hands-on tactics pose a danger to continued growth and stability. however, rest assured that if a major correction or crash comes, it won't be even a little bit Trump's fault, at least in alternate reality.

You must didn’t get the memo; G20 was a resounding success!

Me & Xi!

View attachment 67245435

View attachment 67245436

Many economists are predicting a recession under trump. The last recession occurred under dubya. It happened after dubya gave tax cuts to the rich and de-regulated the finance sector. Wall Street was lending money to millions of Americans who COULD NOT AFFORD to repay the loans. So when Wall Street crashed, the multi-millionares swooped in and bought up all the property cheaply. There's an excellent - and vey scary - film called 99 Homes that covered dubya's recession. And sadly I believe a LOT of the people who lost their jobs, their homes and their savings blamed President Obama for the recession, and have continued to vote republican thinking that only the republicans can make them rich.

Starts as a recession and then becomes a depression is the most likely outcome. Global leadership no longer has the required legitimacy, we have been ad-hoc bouncing from crisis to crisis for some time now, and the globalists have mostly lost the people.

I've been watching this.

We now have a flat to trending-negative bond yield curve, as we saw it approach such earlier in the year, then recover a slight bit over the summer, only to see it slip again. Banks stocks have technically entered a bear market. Tech sectors are not far behind. Auto-plant closings and layoffs are occurring, with more predicted next year. And we have a market year that can't quite make it into positive territory for keeps. It sure does look a bit iffy, to me.

I do think it's possible we are at an inflection point in the market. Not that I absolutely say we are, but I think it is reasonably possible. I also think it's very possible next year we see a sagging economy, regardless of if we are there today.

So it looks like the corporate tax-cut sugar-high might be over. And Trump's constantly fudging with around with tariffs & trade taxes is not helping. In fact it just may bite him here, because his fudging around with the markets, even if only tangential to a recession, means that in political terms he owns it. If so, he will not survive the 2020 election.

Much of the yield curve is inverting. We will (imo) be in recession around (July) 2020.

Starts as a recession and then becomes a depression is the most likely outcome.

That is not the most likely outcome. The most likely outcome is a mild recession that lasts 6 months.

Global leadership no longer has the required legitimacy, we have been ad-hoc bouncing from crisis to crisis for some time now, and the globalists have mostly lost the people.

:inandout:

I should have known better.

Back
Top Bottom