• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are we going to have a Schumer shutdown of the government?

"If we don't get what we want one way or the other ... I will shut down the government,"

that part? Uh... ok.

Nope.

Keep going. The rest of his quote.

You know what you are avoiding. You don't need to be coy about it.

Nope.

I really don't know what part you think is relevant to Trump openly taking ownership of a shutdown.

The jury is still out.
There have been suggestions by many...Trump included...that McConnell should nuke the 60 vote thing and pass the wall budget with 51 votes.
Will he do it? We'll find out. If he doesn't, then yeah...we'll have the Schumer shutdown.

If McConnell has the power you say he has to get the funding passed, but chooses not to exercise that power, does McConnell bear any responsibility?

asking for a friend

Nope.

Aren't you the coy one who won't say what part of the transcript you think is so significant?

AfaIct, this is the entirety of that little bit.

I hope it helps.
TRUMP: And I'll tell you what, I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck, because the people of this country don't want criminals and people that have lots of problems, and drugs pouring into our country.
So I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I'm not going to blame you for it. The last time you shut it down it didn't work. I will take the mantle of shutting down, and I'm going to shut it down for border security.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...le-with-chuck-schumer-nancy-pelosi-annotated/

I really don't know what part you think is relevant to Trump openly taking ownership of a shutdown.

How about..."I will shut down the government for national security." Or words to that effect.

You see, Schumer and the rest of the Trump haters conveniently ignore that part of it.

Trump has taken a hard position with respect to national security. The Trump haters don't care about that. They just want to oppose Trump and they'll eagerly shut down the government to do it.

Aren't you the coy one who won't say what part of the transcript you think is so significant?

AfaIct, this is the entirety of that little bit.

I hope it helps.
TRUMP: And I'll tell you what, I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck, because the people of this country don't want criminals and people that have lots of problems, and drugs pouring into our country.
So I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I'm not going to blame you for it. The last time you shut it down it didn't work. I will take the mantle of shutting down, and I'm going to shut it down for border security.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...le-with-chuck-schumer-nancy-pelosi-annotated/

Thanks for the exact quote.

No, if we have a shut down Donald Trump will own it. I am going to be 1 Democrat mad at Democrats if they blink.

How about..."I will shut down the government for national security." Or words to that effect.

You see, Schumer and the rest of the Trump haters conveniently ignore that part of it.

Trump has taken a hard position with respect to national security. The Trump haters don't care about that. They just want to oppose Trump and they'll eagerly shut down the government to do it.

Ok, so you agree Trump is taking ownership of the shutdown. That's what I've been saying all along. Maybe you're really mad at the OP.

Does the part you highlighted indicate a change in who's responsible?

Or did you want it included for some other reason?

It indicates motivation.

Trump is motivated by border security...national security.

Schumer is motivated by Trump opposition.

It indicates motivation.

Trump is motivated by border security...national security.

Schumer is motivated by Trump opposition.

Trump is motivated by vanity. He wants a big dick project to show the world.

Democrats offered funding for border security. Trump rejected it, because he wants a wall to slap his name on, not real security.

A funding bill for the government needs to be passed that also has the 5 billion dollars for the wall. The president wants it, the people want it, and the house has passed it. It is ONLY Schumer and his cohorts that dont want it.

So yes-------------it will rightly be called the Schumer Shutdown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lamo

I thought Trump was going to be proud to shut the government down?

A funding bill for the government needs to be passed that also has the 5 billion dollars for the wall. The president wants it, the people want it, and the house has passed it. It is ONLY Schumer and his cohorts that dont want it.

So yes-------------it will rightly be called the Schumer Shutdown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Address this, which Cardinal told you about in post #2:

“I am proud to shut down the government for border security... So I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I'm not going to blame you for it."

-Donald Trump to Chuck Schumer

Don't just slink away. Address it, Mr. "Logical"

Trump is motivated by vanity. He wants a big dick project to show the world.

Democrats offered funding for border security. Trump rejected it, because he wants a wall to slap his name on, not real security.

You are welcome to your nonsensical, irrational opinion. Too bad it bears no basis in reality.

The Dems offered a pittance. While that is more than they've offered...and not come through with...in the past, it's not good enough when one is actually concerned about national security.

Moving on...

1. You are confusing need with want.
2. The majority of Americans either don’t want the wall at all, or don’t consider it a priority.
3. It can’t be the Schumer shutdown because Trump called dibs on responsibility.

If McConnell doesn't use his power then it's the McConnell/Trump shutdown.
McConnell doesn’t have the votes from his party that would allow for “the nuclear option”. Besides, it’s bad politics. McConnell got a pass on the last one as payback for Reid’s use of it.

THe only people who want the wall are Trump cultists. The olls say a majority of Americans are against the wall.

The jury is still out.

There have been suggestions by many...Trump included...that McConnell should nuke the 60 vote thing and pass the wall budget with 51 votes.

Will he do it? We'll find out. If he doesn't, then yeah...we'll have the Schumer shutdown.

THere is already one GOP Senator that says he will vote no. One more and they will not even have enough to pass it without the 60 vote problem.

If McConnell doesn't use his power then it's the McConnell/Trump shutdown.

What if McConnell uses the nuclear option and can not get enough votes to pass it anyway. There is already one GOPer that has come out and said he will vote no. One more and the ship sinks and then they have used this option for nothing. And if the Dems take the Senate in 2020 as might happen, the GOP will be screwed over a wall that only Trump wants.

You are welcome to your nonsensical, irrational opinion. Too bad it bears no basis in reality.

The Dems offered a pittance. While that is more than they've offered...and not come through with...in the past, it's not good enough when one is actually concerned about national security.

Moving on...

If you want to spend a hundred billion dollars on border security, there are far more effective ways to do it. You don't want to do it. You want a wall.

It doesn’t matter what you call it or who you choose to blame. The bottom line is we’re in this situation because our government failed yet again to pass a budget, so we’re stuck with these idiotic continuing resolutions to fund our government. This stupidity really needs to stop.

Trump wants to own it, so it’s the Trump shutdown if it has to have a name.

Last edited:
The jury is still out.

That would be a horrible outcome.

:lamo

I thought Trump was going to be proud to shut the government down?

was going to wear it like a mantle

was NOT going to blame schumer

If you want to spend a hundred billion dollars on border security, there are far more effective ways to do it. You don't want to do it. You want a wall.

If a 25 billion wall can save spending a hundred billion...I'd say that's a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom