• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Are we calling him Obama or The President

What should we call the new President?

• Obama

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • The President/President Obama

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

FreeThinker

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Americans seemed to copy a nasty foreign habit of calling our own president "Bush" instead of president or president Bush.

As a republican who voted for McCain, I'd like to be the first to start referring to Barack Obama as President Obama or simply the President. As much as I disagree with him, Barack Obama is my president. He represents me now.

As conservatives, I believe we should show liberals that patriots stand behind our elected leaders - even if those leaders are not the ones we voted for.

I was going to call him "H".

I was going to call him "H".

Three words come to mind with the letter H: Hookers Heroine and Hitler. In your defense, your brain might not have picked out those words as quickly as mine. Perhaps you meant "Happy-person".

Three words come to mind with the letter H: Hookers Heroine and Hitler. In your defense, your brain might not have picked out those words as quickly as mine. Perhaps you meant "Happy-person".

did you not get it? :shock::lol:

George "Walker" Bush or "W"

Barack "Hussein" Obama or "H"

ohhhhhhhh

That would be kind of funny, but would just end up promoting the kind of tabloid media currently being used to trash the office of president.

Honestly, hard core liberals absolutely hate having to respect anything, especially the office of president. Just wait, a few months after Obama is in office, hordes of screaming teenagers will take to the streets calling him a conservative because he didn't put current President Bush on trial for war crimes.

He's not our president, yet. He's President Elect Obama.

I don't see how it's disrespectful to refer to him as "Obama". It's his name after all, and anyone who hasn't spent the past week under a rock knows that we mean President-Elect Obama. Obama's just quicker to type.

Last edited:
lets see there was "war chimp"...

Can we refer to Obama as the "hope chimp"?

I don't see how it's disrespectful to refer to him as "Obama". It's his name after all, and anyone who hasn't spent the past week under a rock knows that we mean President-Elect Obama. Obama's just quicker to type.

eh... using only the last name in conversation allows people to mentally separate the person from the office to which they were elected. Bush has become almost a curse word on the internet now.

i don't want to hear other americans reference the highest and most honored position our nation has to offer as an informal last name. it's disrespectful. you might as well call Dr. Smith - Smith. not using Dr. implies he/she does not have or did not earn his/her degree.

It would depend on the situation.
Speaking to him, I would say "Mr. President"
Speaking of him, it would depend on the audience and tone of discussion.
If I were shooting ball with him on the court, I'd probably say, "yo B, pass the ball, I'm open!"

Therefore I am unable to vote in this poll due to lack of options.

lets see there was "war chimp"...

Can we refer to Obama as the "hope chimp"?

Not a good idea. "Chimp" when refering to black people has some incredibly nasty racist conatations due to old belief that blacks were more animal than human. If all you want to do is mock Obama, at least avoid "Chimp", for your own sake.

I'd suggest "Hopey McChange-Pants", courtesy of Weebl and Bob. ;)

Satire - Weebl's Stuff

It would depend on the situation.
Speaking to him, I would say "Mr. President"
Speaking of him, it would depend on the audience and tone of discussion.
If I were shooting ball with him on the court, I'd probably say, "yo B, pass the ball, I'm open!"

Therefore I am unable to vote in this poll due to lack of options.

Well, I'm starting to see that President Obama is cumbersome. I'm probably going to start going with p.obama when typing a fast post.

If we don't develop habits that reflect respect for our elected leaders, we end up just like 90% of Europe: petulant children constantly screaming and changing leaders.

eh... using only the last name in conversation allows people to mentally separate the person from the office to which they were elected.

I disagree. Everyone knows that Obama is President Elect. Just because they don't verbalise is, mentally they're still making the Obama=President Elect connection in their minds.

FreeThinker said:
Bush has become almost a curse word on the internet now.

Which is due to his policies, not anyone's propensity to refer to him by his last name in informal situations.

FreeThinker said:
i don't want to hear other americans reference the highest and most honored position our nation has to offer as an informal last name. it's disrespectful.

Typing things on the internet is a pretty informal situation. I'm sure most of us, if we actually met him, would refer to him as "Sir" or "President Obama."

FreeThinker said:
you might as well call Dr. Smith - Smith. not using Dr. implies he/she does not have or did not earn his/her degree.

Not really, it just implies that his last name is Smith, and again, no-one would refer to him as "Smith" in his prescence, just like most of us wouldn't call Obama by his last name in a formal situation. We refer to many of our elected officials by their last names, and we're not insulting them, we're just assuming that the people we're talking to already know their position, and therefore we don't need to keep typing it out.

If we don't develop habits that reflect respect for our elected leaders, we end up just like 90% of Europe: petulant children constantly screaming and changing leaders.

Considering that the last UK PM served for 10 years, and that many European leaders are currently in their second term in government, I'd like some evidence to back us this mindless insult, please.

Considering that the last UK PM served for 10 years, and that many European leaders are currently in their second term in government, I'd like some evidence to back us this mindless insult, please.

Watching British Parliament on TV is like watching Jerry Springer. They have absolutely no respect for the men and women leading them. PM Blair had some dirty little sex secret tabloid printing daily about him.

Not a good idea. "Chimp" when refering to black people has some incredibly nasty racist conatations due to old belief that blacks were more animal than human. If all you want to do is mock Obama, at least avoid "Chimp", for your own sake.

I'd suggest "Hopey McChange-Pants", courtesy of Weebl and Bob. ;)

Satire - Weebl's Stuff

well he is only half black, so do you think it is still worse than war chimp? just askin. :mrgreen:

Well, I'm starting to see that President Obama is cumbersome. I'm probably going to start going with p.obama when typing a fast post.

Yeah, free speech is cool like that.

Wasn't the whole idea of calling our leader "Mr. President" instead of "Your Highness, the King" to avoid too much undue respect?

If possible, I'd rather just ask Mr. Obama what he would prefer to be called and go with that.

I know some 'Dr. Smith's that would rather just have me call them, 'John.'

:cool:

well he is only half black, so do you think it is still worse than war chimp? just askin. :mrgreen:

He may be biracial, but to anyone who's going to mistrust/insult him because of his race isn't really going to notice or care about that. Personally, I'd say calling Obama a chimp is worse, because of the racial connotations. Even if you're not calling him a "chimp" as a racist insult, lots of people will perceive it as such, so I'd steer clear of that particular word.

Yeah, free speech is cool like that.

Wasn't the whole idea of calling our leader "Mr. President" instead of "Your Highness, the King" to avoid too much undue respect?

If possible, I'd rather just ask Mr. Obama what he would prefer to be called and go with that.

I know some 'Dr. Smith's that would rather just have me call them, 'John.'

:cool:

The president was short enough to avoid the king idea, but still long enough to represent an honored position.

And every doctor want's to be called doctor. 12 years of higher education means they've earned it.

must sleep, class in 6 hours, thanks for the inputs all.

He may be biracial, but to anyone who's going to mistrust/insult him because of his race isn't really going to notice or care about that. Personally, I'd say calling Obama a chimp is worse, because of the racial connotations. Even if you're not calling him a "chimp" as a racist insult, lots of people will perceive it as such, so I'd steer clear of that particular word.

i see, so if I did not mean it as a racist thing, I would have to worry about others actual racism. not their percieved racism of my comments.

Back
Top Bottom