• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Are we alone in the universe?

Luke Skywalker

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Don't know.

I will say that if aliens exist, one could be sitting right beside me/you right at this moment and we wouldn't even know about it....

After all, if they are light years ahead of us from a technological standpoint, they would have the ability to remain invisible and unheard....

Sobering thought, if you ask me.

Opinions?

Don't know.

I will say that if aliens exist, one could be sitting right beside me/you right at this moment and we wouldn't even know about it....

After all, if they are light years ahead of us from a technological standpoint, they would have the ability to remain invisible and unheard....

Opinions?

I'm agnostic on the alien thing. Maybe there are, maybe not. With all the stars it seems unlikely, but all those stars are so far away that it could have collapsed or gone supernova 500,000 years ago and we don't know about it yet.

Don't know.

Opinions?

Statistically? We're probably not alone. There's just so many systems out there that it's pretty unlikely we're the only one in the universe with life on it. Hell, there's possible evidence of life on other planets in our own system.

I suppose they could be. The universe is a strange place. But if an alien wants to watch me my undies, well, ok then. :lol:

We've been finding boatloads of habitable planets in our backyard with the Kepler telescope, suggesting that there is an astronomically high number of habitable planets in our galaxy, and even more in the universe. I would think it extremely statistically unlikely that we're the only living beings.

I don't however believe that they've visited us before. Not saying they couldn't, just that they'd likely either be hostile or interested in making contact, not kidnapping cows or crashing in the desert.

Don't know.

Opinions?

I am pretty sure there are feral cats and spiders everywhere in the universe.

Don't know.

Opinions?

I have no idea. I have entertained the thought from time to time, and looked for concrete evidence, but so far, only one incident in my life has given me a real reason to think it's a probability.

We've been finding boatloads of habitable planets in our backyard with the Kepler telescope, suggesting that there is an astronomically high number of habitable planets in our galaxy, and even more in the universe. I would think it extremely statistically unlikely that we're the only living beings.

I don't however believe that they've visited us before. Not saying they couldn't, just that they'd likely either be hostile or interested in making contact, not kidnapping cows or crashing in the desert.

Kind of agree with you, RA... I don't know why they'd want to remain off our radar screen (even though, like I said, they probably could).

I have no idea. I have entertained the thought from time to time, and looked for concrete evidence, but so far, only one incident in my life has given me a real reason to think it's a probability.

Lizzinator.... You should know better than to make a statement like that without elaborating.

:popcorn2:

So?

Kind of agree with you, RA... I don't know why they'd want to remain off our radar screen (even though, like I said, they probably could).

The real question is: What is more likely, that they're hostile, or that they're friendly?

Stephen Hawking believes they're more likely to be hostile, and I think I mostly agree. Our world is beautiful and full of resources. Any alien race that makes it to earth will be extremely advanced and likely require resources. They'll likely look at us with as much compassion as liberals have with fetuses.

Last edited:
More details please.

A few (maybe three?) years ago, I went out at night to lock up my car, and I was looking at the night sky, because out here where I live, it's quite beautiful and the stars shine brightly. I looked up to see what I thought was a satellite moving north to south at a slow steady speed. It stopped, and the light changed intensity, and looked like a bright spotlight for a few seconds, then it disappeared from my sight.

The real question is: What is more likely, that they're hostile, or that they're friendly?

Stephen Hawking believes they're more likely to be hostile, and I think I mostly agree. Our world is beautiful and full of resources. Any alien race that makes it to earth will be extremely advanced and likely require resources. They'll also likely look at us with as much compassion as liberals have with fetuses.

Excellent point - didn't really think of that one (the hostility factor, that is...)! :)

I will say that I always thought that if aliens are light years ahead of us technologically, they would be way ahead of us intellectually as well. Personally, I would take that to mean they would be peaceful and not have the desire to make war.... :shrug:

Will have to think more on this one, though...

I will say that if aliens exist, one could be sitting right beside me/you right at this moment and we wouldn't even know about it....After all, if they are light years ahead of us from a technological standpoint, they would have the ability to remain invisible and unheard....
Do we have any reason to believe that they'd be more likely light years ahead of us technologically than we do to believe they'd be aeons behind us?

Stephen Hawking believes they're more likely to be hostile, and I think I mostly agree. Our world is beautiful and full of resources. Any alien race that makes it to earth will be extremely advanced and likely require resources. They'll likely look at us with as much compassion as liberals have with fetuses.

In my reasoning, I would expect them to be more likely friendly, as to reach a point of that kind of technology, without destroying your own race, would seem to require at least a certain level of understanding and civility. Warlike people and civilizations don't tend to survive long term. At least that's the way it seems to me.

Don't know.

Opinions?

Heya Nightrider.
yo2.gif
Myself.....I believe in the Ancient Astronaut Theory. Which many religions talk about we are made in the their Image. So if that is the case.....God, Gods, Creator, Supreme being, and or Extraterrestrial life-form could look exactly as we do. Which we wouldn't even know it, unless revealed by whomever.

Although I do think there could be other forms of bi-pedal or multi-pedaled life out there. Kinda like we have different species of animals.

th

We just have to watch out for the Time Lords. They likes to play tricks on Homo Sapiens. :lol:

Do we have any reason to believe that they'd be more likely light years ahead of us technologically than we do to believe they'd be aeons behind us?

Another great point - if they were aeons behind us, don't know how they would have the ability to get here, but the universe is so complex and mysterious that I'd say anything's possible....

Is there life elsewhere in the universe? Definitely, I believe that is unequivocal. Is there sentient beings of an intelligence similar or greater to ourselves? Debatable, I'd have to go with unlikely. The question of extraterrestrial life is %100 pointless to me. If they exist, so what, we will never achieve any more contact than at most a few interplanetary signals with them.

In my reasoning, I would expect them to be more likely friendly, as to reach a point of that kind of technology, without destroying your own race, would seem to require at least a certain level of understanding and civility. Warlike people and civilizations don't tend to survive long term. At least that's the way it seems to me.

Excellent point - didn't really think of that one (the hostility factor, that is...)! :)

I will say that I always thought that if aliens are light years ahead of us technologically, they would be way ahead of us intellectually as well. Personally, I would take that to mean they would be peaceful and not have the desire to make war.... :shrug:

Will have to think more on this one, though...

Well, just look at how a race as enlightened as ourselves treats wildlife and other beings we consider "lesser" than us.

Hawking said programs like SETI are equivalent to screaming out in a jungle.

And Lizzalicious, your obvious dodge of my request is noted. ;)

One of light's greatest mysteries, eh?

It's kind of hard to fathom just how big are galaxy is. 200 Billion Stars. That's 200,000,000,000. If each star just had two planets orbiting around it, that's 400,000,000,000 planets. Given the chances, I wouldn't be surprised to find other life in the universe.

One of light's greatest mysteries, eh?

It's kind of hard to fathom just how big are galaxy is. 200 Billion Stars. That's 200,000,000,000. If each star just had two planets orbiting around it, that's 400,000,000,000 planets. Given the chances, I wouldn't be surprised to find other life in the universe.

Then there are hundreds of billions of galaxies. It's absolutely mind boggling. I don't see how it would even be possible for life to not exist somewhere else.

Well, just look at how a race as enlightened as ourselves treats wildlife and other beings we consider "lesser" than us.

Hawking said programs like SETI are equivalent to screaming out in a jungle.

And Lizzalicious, your obvious dodge of my request is noted. ;)

My obvious dodge? I guess I must have missed something.:3oops:

As for your observations on how a race as enlightened as ourselves goes, all I can say is that we have quite obviously come along way, and we all have to start somewhere. The tendency of evolutionary influence is to move forward, not backward.

My obvious dodge? I guess I must have missed something.:3oops:

As for your observations on how a race as enlightened as ourselves goes, all I can say is that we have quite obviously come along way, and we all have to start somewhere. The tendency of evolutionary influence is to move forward, not backward.

o_O Post #8.

are we alone in the universe? i doubt it.

have we been visited by thin grey humanoids in space ships? i doubt it.

are we descended from unicellular extra terrestrials? probably.

Another great point - if they were aeons behind us, don't know how they would have the ability to get here, but the universe is so complex and mysterious that I'd say anything's possible....

Okay, so that gives us 2 questions:
  1. Do you believe we are alone in the universe? My answer: No, statistically it looks inevitable that we are not.
  2. Do you believe that Earth has ever been visited by aliens? My answer: No, I certainly don't believe that has happened because I can't see any evidence of it, and I think that we would have such evidence had it happened.

My kicker is any that are Military and have reported such.....we are trained Observers. We will note what is taking place. We will definitely note weapons if seen. We will get whatever data we can.

Moreover we already have discovered bacteria and water in Space. Amino Acids. 2011 even brought that out.

Just like the Ancient Aliens Theory states.....they have been coming here since the beginning. Despite our having been told by those who were the First to Write. The Sumerians. Yet their Religion has come and gone. Then despite the Sanskrit writings. Then other civilizations that have come and gone.

From all over the planet and even before man had anything that could fly. Even the main religions of today all have writings concerning what they described as the Gods in Flying Chariots. Seems there is evidence suggesting such from all over the planet and in different places in time. As if we were being told from the very beginning.

Back
Top Bottom