• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are warmers mentaly ill

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
I have always thought the warmer cult had an irrational obsession with AGW. Apparently they do. Psychiatrists discuss global warming effects on OCD patients
The Royal Australian and New Zealand Collage of Psychiatrists' Congress at SkyCity Convention Centre in Auckland in May 2010 brought together mental health experts in a diverse range of areas; from children and adolescents to old age, mental health across the lifespan will be discussed.

Here are some highlights from May 6th's programme.
Global warming fears seen in obsessive compulsive disorder patients
A recent study has found that global warming has impacted the nature of symptoms experienced by obsessive compulsive disorder patients. Climate change related obsessions and/or compulsions were identified in 28% of patients presenting with obsessive compulsive disorder.

Their obsessions included leaving taps on and wasting water, leaving lights on and wasting electricity, pets dying of thirst, leaving the stove on and wasting gas as well as obsessions that global warming had contributed to house floors cracking, pipes leaking, roof problems and white ants eating the house.

Compulsions in response to these obsessions included the checking of taps, light switches, pet water bowls and house structures.
"Media coverage about the possible catastrophic consequences to our planet concerning global warming is extensive and potentially anxiety provoking. We found that many obsessive compulsive disorder patients were concerned about reducing their global footprint," said study author Dr Mairwen Jones.
http://www.balance.org.nz/home/2-news/153-psychiatrists-discuss-global-warming-on-ocd-patients

if the temperature rises, its proof of warming

when the temperature doesn't rise, its proof of warming

the data never changes their conclusion

Wait, who is not obsessed with turning off water, lights and the stove when not in use?

:roll: I guess then science is "mentally ill"

"Media coverage about the possible catastrophic consequences to our planet concerning global warming is extensive and potentially anxiety provoking. We found that many obsessive compulsive disorder patients were concerned about reducing their global footprint," said study author Dr Mairwen Jones.

You'll find contemporary social and political issues of the day will the driving factor of the story. On an amusing side, I had come across an old newspaper entry about a North Dakota man in the 1890s who proclaimed to be the second coming of Christ, and his first duty was to relieve us from the exploitation of railroad companies and bankers. Why would such a man say this? During the time, the populist movement was gaining speed, especially in North Dakota. Farmers and other related groups were concerned that they were getting shafted by big business and banking institutions. Of course, a man from that time period, with a proclivity to having messianic thoughts, would latch on to the issues of his day.

Your analysis of this is incredibly off.

Last edited:
OCD people compulsively worry about things. Who would have guessed it...

Last edited:

I wonder what they said during the Ice Age.

I don't think they are mentally ill, but I do think that a good number of them live in fear.

The temperature is rising regardless. This isn't a matter of debate - it's empirically measured fact.

It would depend on how robust the science is and how knowledgeable the doubter is.

Given the discrepancies within AGW science, do you think either side has credible knowledge as to the extent?

Given the discrepancies within AGW science, do you think either side has credible knowledge as to the extent?

Extent? I can't say for sure based on my level of knowledge. However, much like there is significant disagreement among scientists about various evolutionary processes, but that is not an indicator that evolution is not happening, disagreement on extent is not an indicator AGW is nor occurring.

Extent? I can't say for sure based on my level of knowledge. However, much like there is significant disagreement among scientists about various evolutionary processes, but that is not an indicator that evolution is not happening, disagreement on extent is not an indicator AGW is nor occurring.

I don't recall implying that it was not, only that the cause is in doubt. Do you think we can significantly affect the climate when we can't even affect the weather?

You'll find contemporary social and political issues of the day will the driving factor of the story. On an amusing side, I had come across an old newspaper entry about a North Dakota man in the 1890s who proclaimed to be the second coming of Christ, and his first duty was to relieve us from the exploitation of railroad companies and bankers. Why would such a man say this? During the time, the populist movement was gaining speed, especially in North Dakota. Farmers and other related groups were concerned that they were getting shafted by big business and banking institutions. Of course, a man from that time period, with a proclivity to having messianic thoughts, would latch on to the issues of his day.

Your analysis of this is incredibly off.

What you are missing here is psychiatrist are seeing people with OCD come in having problems with AGW. It raises an interesting question, what percentage of people that are highly agitated about the AGW hypotheses are OCD? Judging by the warmers I see post in this forum I would say most if not all of them are likely afflicted with this mental condition. The following description of OCD symptoms is very much what I see from the warmer cult in here. The AGW hypotheses has fallen on its face but they still refuse to see the truth and insist that it is real and makes sense despite the most recent evidence to the contrary.

"Obsessive-compulsive disorder symptoms include both obsessions and compulsions."

"Obsession symptoms
OCD obsessions are repeated, persistent and unwanted ideas, thoughts, images or impulses that you have involuntarily and that seem to make no sense. These obsessions typically intrude when you're trying to think of or do other things."

I don't recall implying that it was not, only that the cause is in doubt. Do you think we can significantly affect the climate when we can't even affect the weather?

We can and do affect weather, sometimes even intentionally.

Yeah, but you're still not getting it. 10 years ago you could have found patients having an enormous fear of terrorist plots, and a couple of years after that, fears of government intrusion leading to controlling everything we do.

They are still valid thoughts to have, are they not? The issue with disorders is having it disrupt your life. All you're doing is using it selectively to somehow claim those with different scientific and political views are suffering from disorders. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
The temperature is rising regardless. This isn't a matter of debate - it's empirically measured fact.

No it's not. It has not made any changes at all since 1995.

Climate change itself is already in the process of definitively rebutting climate alarmists who think human use of fossil fuels is causing ultimately catastrophic global warming. That is because natural climate cycles have already turned from warming to cooling, global temperatures have already been declining for more than 10 years, and global temperatures will continue to decline for another two decades or more. - Sorry Global Warming Alarmists, The Earth Is Cooling - Forbes

In spite of a multidecade international campaign to enforce the message that increasing amounts of the "pollutant" carbon dioxide will destroy civilization, large numbers of scientists, many very prominent, share the opinions of Dr. Giaever. And the number of scientific "heretics" is growing with each passing year. The reason is a collection of stubborn scientific facts.

Perhaps the most inconvenient fact is the lack of global warming for well over 10 years now. This is known to the warming establishment, as one can see from the 2009 "Climategate" email of climate scientist Kevin Trenberth: "The fact is that we can't account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can't." But the warming is only missing if one believes computer models where so-called feedbacks involving water vapor and clouds greatly amplify the small effect of CO2.
- Sixteen Concerned Scientists: No Need to Panic About Global Warming - WSJ.com

Peer-Reviewed Survey Finds Majority Of Scientists Skeptical Of Global Warming Crisis - Peer-Reviewed Survey Finds Majority Of Scientists Skeptical Of Global Warming Crisis - Forbes

it rises and falls

lately, in the past decade or so it appears to have been stable

depends on what kind of timeline you use

point is, for warmers, its always high alert, and imminent, regardless of what the current data says

and there is a weird group of anti-warmers who zealously object and seemingly battle against their foes on the issue

Back
Top Bottom