• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are Trump's purported remarks about the troops disqualifying?

Are Trump's purported remarks about the troops disqualifying?

• Yes

Votes: 32 78.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Depends

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

Greenbeard

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
The big news today is that Trump has apparently said things in private that are remarkably similar to things he's already said in public.

Instead of getting into whether it's plausible whether or not he really said what the Atlantic reported, I'm curious whether folks believe that if he did say it that it would be disqualifying for a would-be commander-in-chief.

Trump: Americans Who Died in War Are ‘Losers’ and ‘Suckers’
In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed.
But according to sources with knowledge of this visit, Trump, while standing by Robert Kelly’s grave, turned directly to his father and said, “I don’t get it. What was in it for them?”

The big news today is that Trump has apparently said things in private that are remarkably similar to things he's already said in public.

Instead of getting into whether it's plausible whether or not he really said what the Atlantic reported, I'm curious whether folks believe that if he did say it that it would be disqualifying for a would-be commander-in-chief.

YOu are not keeping up, at least 5 people including John Bolton, no fan of trump, said those comments were never made.

YOu are not keeping up, at least 5 people including John Bolton, no fan of trump, said those comments were never made.

John Bolton said no such thing. He said he didn't hear him say that.

I never saw Clinton erase her emails, so obviously it never happened.

It would be for Obama, certainly.

Unfortunately, we're at the "it's a lie" stage so Conservatives feel no need to defend these words, and they'll be largely forgotten by the time it's verified.

We don't need this latest incident, though, we've had examples since before he was elected, where he repeatedly insulted that Muslim soldier's family. Whatever he said, he didn't attend that memorial, and gave a lame excuse. In his squabble with McCain, Trump disparaged his service and capture.

So even if today's outrage is an outright lie (told by his immediate and handpicked staff, let's not forget) it's not out of character for Trump. It's a problem that conservatives need to rationalize, because you bozos nominated this guy for POTUS when this was on display.

It's a shame you can't see mental contortions, because Cirque du Soleil could really use a fresh act.

Trump's purported remarks are in keeping with remarks he has publicly made.

Some of us thought his past public remarks should be disqualifying. His supporters apparently don't care. They don't care that he dodged service with a made-up physical ailment. They don't care how many actual heroes he has insulted. They don't even care that he made some of his insults while on foreign soil.

No matter what he says, they'll find some sort of excuse for it. And the most inexcusable they still turn into a virtue. His willingness to speak so horribly without worrying about convention or decency is evidence to them of how "honest" he is. Him having no filter for the sewage that comes out of his hot mess of a brain is a virtue to them. When Trump does it, of course. Other people briefly crossing the lines that Trump tramples is still an excuse to pillory those other people. But Trump trampling on every American virtue -- that's what qualified him to be president and why he deserves 12 more years.

Hate to say this but this is a fake thread. Zero truth in this phony story!!
Democrats are extremely desperate. Just look at all the screwy threads popping up about the president today. :peace

Hate to say this but this is a fake thread. Zero truth in this phony story!!
Democrats are extremely desperate. Just look at all the screwy threads popping up about the president today. :peace

You'd support these comments if Trump made them?

If they were actually said in the manner that these Trump Administration officials related them to the Atlantic? Yes. It would be disqualifying.

However, I have stopped trusting what people in the Trump Administration have to say about anything unless it is backed up with corroborating evidence. ;)

Bolton said he personally didn't hear Trump say those things about 'suckers' and 'losers'.

Bolton never said Trump unequivocally didn't say that.

For the FAKE NEWS! crowd, Jennifer Griffin @JenGriffinFNC at Fox News just confirmed it:

https://twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC/status/1301975321495973889

Two former sr Trump admin officials confirm reporting that President Trump disparaged veterans and did not want to drive to honor American war dead at Aisne-Marne Cemetery outside Paris.

According to one former senior Trump administration official: "When the President spoke about the Vietnam War, he said, 'It was a stupid war. Anyone who went was a sucker'."

This former official heard the President say about American veterans: "What's in it for them? They don't make any money." Source: "It was a character flaw of the President. He could not understand why someone would die for their country, not worth it."

I read the source a few quotes from The Atlantic article. This former Trump admin official said, "The President would say things like that. He doesn't know why people join the military. He would muse, 'Why do they do it'?"

Re: trip to mark 100th anniversary of WW I Source: "The President was not in a good mood. Macron had said something that made him mad about American reliability and the need perhaps for a European army. He questioned why he had to go to two cemeteries. 'Why do I have to do two'?"

President Trump's staff explained he could cancel (his visit to the cemetery), but he was warned, 'They (the press) are going to kill you for this'." The President was mad as a hornet when they did.

When asked IF the President could have driven to the Aisne-Marne Cemetery, this former official said confidently:
"The President drives a lot. The other world leaders drove to the cemeteries. He just didn't want to go."

Regarding Trump's July 4th military parade, during a planning session at the White House after seeing the Bastille Day parade in 2017, the President said regarding the inclusion of "wounded guys" "that's not a good look" "Americans don't like that," source confirms.

Regarding McCain, "The President just hated John McCain. He always asked, 'Why do you see him as a hero?" Two sources confirmed the President did not want flags lowered but others in the White House ordered them at half mast. There was a stand off and then the President relented.

You'd support these comments if Trump made them?

Of course he would. Trump has said similar in public and he supports that.

It's just a technicality that some of the remarks weren't caught on audio or typed onto Twitter. If they had all been, he would have been fine with all of them. It's how Trump talks and Trump's supporters are fine with it.

If grabbing women by the genitals isn't disqualifying, I can't see this being disqualifying. djt's cult of personality doesn't care about anything their Dear Leader does.

This is the same old **** you guys always have. I just answered a post in another thread to someone who said something about Trump allegedly over something and here you come along on cue saying "purported". How could "purported" anything disqualify you from anything?

his entire life disqualifies him from being anywhere near CiC.

For the FAKE NEWS! crowd, Jennifer Griffin @JenGriffinFNC at Fox News just confirmed it:

Two former sr Trump admin officials confirm reporting that President Trump disparaged veterans and did not want to drive to honor American war dead at Aisne-Marne Cemetery outside Paris.

According to one former senior Trump administration official: "When the President spoke about the Vietnam War, he said, 'It was a stupid war. Anyone who went was a sucker'."

This former official heard the President say about American veterans: "What's in it for them? They don't make any money." Source: "It was a character flaw of the President. He could not understand why someone would die for their country, not worth it."

I read the source a few quotes from The Atlantic article. This former Trump admin official said, "The President would say things like that. He doesn't know why people join the military. He would muse, 'Why do they do it'?"

Re: trip to mark 100th anniversary of WW I Source: "The President was not in a good mood. Macron had said something that made him mad about American reliability and the need perhaps for a European army. He questioned why he had to go to two cemeteries. 'Why do I have to do two'?"

President Trump's staff explained he could cancel (his visit to the cemetery), but he was warned, 'They (the press) are going to kill you for this'." The President was mad as a hornet when they did.

When asked IF the President could have driven to the Aisne-Marne Cemetery, this former official said confidently:
"The President drives a lot. The other world leaders drove to the cemeteries. He just didn't want to go."

Regarding Trump's July 4th military parade, during a planning session at the White House after seeing the Bastille Day parade in 2017, the President said regarding the inclusion of "wounded guys" "that's not a good look" "Americans don't like that," source confirms.

Regarding McCain, "The President just hated John McCain. He always asked, 'Why do you see him as a hero?" Two sources confirmed the President did not want flags lowered but others in the White House ordered them at half mast. There was a stand off and then the President relented.

Except they only repeat the same claims which were already proven false. I have no doubt there’s an anonymous friend of Eric Ciarmella who will repeat such things, but the only factual claim that can be proven, the reason for not visiting the cemetary, has already been proven in Trump’s favor with documentary evidence

purported - appearing or stated to be true, though not necessarily so; alleged.

If his remarks are purported, then they are yet to be proven true.
Should he quit the race because those remarks are purported?
Or should he wait until enough Trump-haters say those remarks are true and then step down from the presidency.?

What choices does he have as the sharks are swimming around smelling blood?

And if they were? Would that be disqualifying?

Horrendous, yes. Asinine, yes. Insulting for veterans, yes. Disqualifying? Technically not. The qualifications for president are below.

Article II, Section 1, Clause 5 of the Constitution sets three qualifications for holding the presidency. To serve as president, one must:

be a natural-born U.S. citizen of the United States;
be at least 35 years old;
be a resident in the United States for at least 14 years.[1]

A person who meets the above qualifications would, however, still be disqualified from holding the office of president under any of the following conditions:

Under Article I, Section 3, Clause 7, upon conviction in impeachment cases, the Senate has the option to order, by a simple majority, that an individual be forever disqualified from holding federal office, which includes that of president.[2]

Under Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment, no person who swore an oath to support the Constitution, and later rebelled against the United States, is eligible to become president. However, this disqualification can be lifted by a two-thirds vote of each house of Congress.[3]

Under the Twenty-second Amendment, no person can be elected president more than twice. The amendment also specifies that if any eligible person serves as president or acting president for more than two years of a term for which some other eligible person was elected president, the former can only be elected president once.

- Wikipedia

Trump's purported remarks are in keeping with remarks he has publicly made.

Some of us thought his past public remarks should be disqualifying. His supporters apparently don't care. They don't care that he dodged service with a made-up physical ailment. They don't care how many actual heroes he has insulted. They don't even care that he made some of his insults while on foreign soil.

No matter what he says, they'll find some sort of excuse for it. And the most inexcusable they still turn into a virtue. His willingness to speak so horribly without worrying about convention or decency is evidence to them of how "honest" he is. Him having no filter for the sewage that comes out of his hot mess of a brain is a virtue to them. When Trump does it, of course. Other people briefly crossing the lines that Trump tramples is still an excuse to pillory those other people. But Trump trampling on every American virtue -- that's what qualified him to be president and why he deserves 12 more years.

So if he said other remarks you didn't like, then these remarks about dead soldiers must be true because something he might have said in the past was true. Right?

Except they only repeat the same claims which were already proven false. I have no doubt there’s an anonymous friend of Eric Ciarmella who will repeat such things, but the only factual claim that can be proven, the reason for not visiting the cemetary, has already been proven in Trump’s favor with documentary evidence

Do you believe Griffin is lying about what Trump said about members of the U.S. military?

Do you believe Griffin's sources are lying about what Trump said about members of the U.S. military?

If proven to be true...like say Trump was caught on tape saying it or something...would you still vote for Trump knowing he thought members of the U.S. military were suckers and losers?

Why is it these alleged and unsubstantiated comments are being publicized now when they were supposedly spoken three years ago? Is there something special about this period in 2020?
Were they not important three years ago?

If grabbing women by the genitals isn't disqualifying, I can't see this being disqualifying. djt's cult of personality doesn't care about anything their Dear Leader does.

Would you be disqualified from becoming president if you grabbed genitals before your election?

Back
Top Bottom