• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are things about to get ugly in America

Are things about to get ugly in America

• Total voters

Are things about to get ugly in America​

Yes.

In DC...

In LA...

https://twitter.com/ElijahSchaffer/status/1540579815916539920

https://twitter.com/777DEAN777/status/1540556354074644489

In Seattle...

https://twitter.com/mattteamjesus/status/1540586926645854208

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1540526954662825984

Even in Iowa...

With Roe overturned, a stunning and anti-woman decision... and Conservatives executing people left and right and then complaining they have a right to own guns without being in the militia... and all of the racism and sexism and anti-LBGTQ and all of it... are things about to get really bad in America?
Yes. Half the states and the legislature are primed not only to dispute, but to refuse to recognize, the results of the next presidential election. With two back-to-back decisions which ignore both public opinion and practical consequences in favor of ideological and partisan purity, SCOTUS is undermining itself as an institution, and will not have the credibility to resolve a constitutional crisis. And conservatives and liberals seem to deeply hate one another. You can call this a "sky-is-falling" view if you want, but the chances of a civil war as soon as two years from now are very real. America right now is a powder keg and there are about twenty matches in the air.

I just have to hope the country holds itself together until 2028, when Millennials and Gen Z will comprise a clear majority of the electorate for the first time.

I can't hope that it does, because I've studied what modern civil wars look like-- from our own, to Europe and Africa in the 20th century-- and these ridiculous cosplaytriots running around with their rifles in public clearly haven't. But the social contract in this country has been broken, since before I was born; the American government doesn't have a shred of the legitimacy granted to it by the Constitution it openly flouts, or the most basic principles of protecting the general welfare of the people, or acting in accordance with the will of the people.

This... isn't really a response to yesterday's SCOTUS ruling. It was broken before I was born, and has been getting steadily worse my entire adult life, but the last six years have really turned up the heat.

I'm not here advocating violence, but all of our legal recourses have been destroyed. There is going to have to be another civil war before anything gets better-- frankly, it will only be a continuation of the last one-- and... the longer this "culture war" bullshit is allowed to fester, the nastier that civil war is going to be and the less likely we're going to get a better government from it, and the longer it will take to eventually get a better government.

I'm not likely to have a hand in it, even if I live long enough to see it-- me and my rifle and my wheelchair would have to go a long way before we ever found a battleground, and when Medicaid stops paying for my medication, well... I'm not going to be anybody's war hero.

With Roe overturned, a stunning and anti-woman decision... and Conservatives executing people left and right and then complaining they have a right to own guns without being in the militia... and all of the racism and sexism and anti-LBGTQ and all of it... are things about to get really bad in America?
Things are getting ugly in the minds of many on the progressive left, but then again, their heads can be very strange places.

What we’ve seen this week is wonderful string of victories for the rule of law and for democracy.

That is absolute nonsense.
Anti-woman decision.
What hyperventilating blather.
Just calm yourself.

Abortions are still legal in MANY states.

The Constitution mentions NOTHING of 'abortion'.
It is NONE of the SCOTUS's business to rule on that subject.
They were 100% right - legally and otherwise - to hand it back to the states.

I am for abortions once the fetus is sentient.
And I am 100% for the SCOTUS ruling.

The only people who think this is a HUGE deal are the extremes of the left and the right.
Both are wrong.

Most of those protesting are the same incel pieces of shit that run around protesting and destroying cities over any excuse they can find. The irony in most of the people protesting...its not like any of them are much at risk of procreating in the first place.

No...I dont think the end is nigh. In fact I suspect the poutrage will be much smaller than the left would like to see.

These are those supporting the courts decision
FWEQ7pGXkAAPYUg.jpg

And this is pretty typical of their pro abortion attackers.

FWEO4ZWWAAI2i5t.jpg

So you just want to look the other way as people are oppressed? That is funny to you?
They're not being oppressed. It is a fundamental truth, and the SCOTUS agrees, that killing an unborn child is not an inherent right.

Womp womp

No cops to bitch about? Trying your best to stir up the muck.

I simply wish I had not lived long enough to see this horrible day.
When you wake up, abortion will still be legal and guaranteed in 26 states (ironically...especially in those states where the worst violence and protesting is going on). 24 other states will be working on defining what abortion laws and right slook like going forward. Nothing has been banned.

These are those supporting the courts decision
View attachment 67398484
Is that a "stop the attacks on trans youth" poster?

The irony in most of the people protesting...its not like any of them are much at risk of procreating in the first place.And this is pretty typical of their pro abortion attackers.
This feels an awful lot like projection, coming from some anonymous dude who spends most of his time on a message board being obnoxious.

Is that a "stop the attacks on trans youth" poster?

This feels an awful lot like projection, coming from some anonymous dude who spends most of his time on a message board being obnoxious.

I believe the heavy set gal's (hopefully I didnt misgender her....theres no real way of knowing) sign says "prideful protest". By all acounts she is most likely an angry lesbian at no risk of having her rights to an abortion diminished, especially living in the state of Washington.

As to rest of your comments...Im sorry that at some point I hurt your vagina and I hope you feel better soon.

As to rest of your comments...Im sorry that at some point I hurt your vagina and I hope you feel better soon.
Yeah, I highly doubt you're getting laid.

When you wake up, abortion will still be legal and guaranteed in 26 states (ironically...especially in those states where the worst violence and protesting is going on). 24 other states will be working on defining what abortion laws and right slook like going forward. Nothing has been banned.
You really think the GOP is going to go to all this effort to steal a Supreme Court majority to overturn those two court rulings, after decades of trying to overturn them, skirt the edges of them, and sometimes just plain ignore them, and not immediately move for bans in every single State they have a prayer of succeeding in?

The Republicans only have to fight for offices at the Federal level. They own most State and local governments.

It's not too early to warn them there will be pushback. It's never been too early.

You really think the GOP is going to go to all this effort to steal a Supreme Court majority to overturn those two court rulings, after decades of trying to overturn them, skirt the edges of them, and sometimes just plain ignore them, and not immediately move for bans in every single State they have a prayer of succeeding in?

The Republicans only have to fight for offices at the Federal level. They own most State and local governments.

It's not too early to warn them there will be pushback. It's never been too early.
I think people in California are in no risk of losing abortion rights. I responded to someone in California. And I do believe a new normal will be developed.

I'd also note...you HAVE to recognize that its not just the GOP that spent decades lobbying for ruling changes, skirting the edges of law to get results they want. Thats precisely why we are in this situation. We as a nation would be far better served if Congress actually did its job, rather than have interest groups try to get favorable rulings shoehorned into existing amendments whether they fit or not.

That is absolute nonsense.
Anti-woman decision.
What hyperventilating blather.
Just calm yourself.

Abortions are still legal in MANY states.

The Constitution mentions NOTHING of 'abortion'.
It is NONE of the SCOTUS's business to rule on that subject.
They were 100% right - legally and otherwise - to hand it back to the states.

I am for abortions once the fetus is sentient.
And I am 100% for the SCOTUS ruling.

The only people who think this is a HUGE deal are the extremes of the left and the right.
Both are wrong.
You're wrong. This was a protected right with no constitutional reason to strike down. Anti Choice was a ginned up fight, when the Right figured out that virulent racism wasn't such a good look for them. While the Catholic Church was opposed to abortion most Evangelicals were not, as most conservatives weren't. St. Ronny signed abortion legislation as Gov. of Calif. & Sandra Day O'Connor (Reagan appointee) wrote the affirmative decision for Casey. While the leader of the Southern Baptists was all for Roe v Wade. It was a manufactured grievance with the purpose of uniting religious leaders. Based in part, on a ruling by a Catholic Pope. There is no biblical anti abortion scripture. I don't even think they had wire clothes hangers in the bronze age.

I'd also note...you HAVE to recognize that its not just the GOP that spent decades lobbying for ruling changes, skirting the edges of law to get results they want. Thats precisely why we are in this situation. We as a nation would be far better served if Congress actually did its job, rather than have interest groups try to get favorable rulings shoehorned into existing amendments whether they fit or not.
I actually kinda like that everyone's trying to compare abortion to guns now, because hopefully some people might realize that Constitutional rights aren't multiple choice; they're all or nothing, and rationalizing how any Constitutional right isn't really a Constitutional right undermines the legal sanctity of all of them.

Also because they're literally founded in the exact same ****ing right, though "liberals" don't like me comparing the sacrament of abortion to self-defense, because they don't like acknowledging that the right to self-defense exists.

Answer is it doesn't have to. The vaste majority (republican and democratic or independent voters alike) are for the right to abortion. Those 60% needs to go out in the streets and peacefully protest and demand the dissolution of the politically controlled Supreme Court.
Against the militarized police?

Yes. Half the states and the legislature are primed not only to dispute, but to refuse to recognize, the results of the next presidential election. With two back-to-back decisions which ignore both public opinion and practical consequences in favor of ideological and partisan purity, SCOTUS is undermining itself as an institution, and will not have the credibility to resolve a constitutional crisis. And conservatives and liberals seem to deeply hate one another. You can call this a "sky-is-falling" view if you want, but the chances of a civil war as soon as two years from now are very real. America right now is a powder keg and there are about twenty matches in the air.

I just have to hope the country holds itself together until 2028, when Millennials and Gen Z will comprise a clear majority of the electorate for the first time.
Our children are ****ed, my friend. Next week's rulings will strip the ability to make clean air rules or occupational health standards. This is a full on war against civil society in the name of a Fashy Revenge Christ. I doubt our children can withstand it, giving what's coming

It's our broken. It's our duty to fix it, so they have a chance.

The SCOTUS is polling at 25%, the lowest ever. Well, since it began to be polled. Which is still ahead of Congress with 20% as of 4/22. Moscow Mitch has been plotting this since Bork. He found a perfect empty head in the Drumpf.

Yes, but those are not the only issues. Inflation, high energy prices, product shortages, etc... are also contributing. I think there is plenty of blame on both sides to go around.

Back
Top Bottom