• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are these the poorest cites in america

presluc

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]The poorest cities in America[/h]

10. Dalton, Ga.

• Population: 142,741
• Income: $32,858
9. Forest City, N.C.

• Population: 67,538
• Income: $32,836
8. Nacogdoches, Texas

• Population: 65,466
• Income: $32,555
7. Martinsville, Va.

• Population: 67,300
• Income: $32,196
6. Cookeville, Tenn.

• Population: 106,498
• Income: $31,813
5. Talladega-Sylacauga, Ala.

• Population: 81,664
• Income: $31,547
4. Brownsville-Harlingen, Texas

• Population: 414,123
• Income: $30,953
3. Roanoke Rapids, N.C.

• Population: 76,066
• Income:$29,930
2. Gallup, N.M.

• Population: 73,664
• Income: $29,696
1. Lumberton, N.C.

• Population: 135,517
• Income: $28,293

Now this may seem like just another flyer about the different places one should live or seek employment , but what cought my eye wasn't the population , nor the location..
What caught my eye was the income in these cities ,the highest of 10 cities is 32, 858, the lowest $29,696..
That ain't exactly living high on the hog in this society with the cost of living where it is.

So how many of these average citizens in these cities are paying taxes and how many get a tax refund?
Makes one wander about the wage the opeople in these cities are getting paid.

Ladies and Gentlemen I await your comments or views or complaints on this subject.
:peace

It's all relative to how much it cost to live in those cities.

There are remnants of Third World in every developed country and in many cases the numbers are significant.

[h=1]The poorest cities in America[/h]

Now this may seem like just another flyer about the different places one should live or seek employment , but what cought my eye wasn't the population , nor the location..
What caught my eye was the income in these cities ,the highest of 10 cities is 32, 858, the lowest $29,696..
That ain't exactly living high on the hog in this society with the cost of living where it is.

So how many of these average citizens in these cities are paying taxes and how many get a tax refund?
Makes one wander about the wage the opeople in these cities are getting paid.

Ladies and Gentlemen I await your comments or views or complaints on this subject.

I would put no faith in this. Everyone of those places actually have a cost of living below the national average. In fact one city on this list, Forest City, NC is a data center for Facebook. Avg Cost of an Apt in Forest City is $800 a month. Or roughly 30% of the $32,000.

I know a teeny tiny bit about Lumberton, NC.

Interstate 95 (the east coast's number 1 major north-south interstate) runs smack-dab through Lumberton.

Less than 100 miles away is Myrtle Beach SC.

The area is mostly surrounded by tobacco fields. At one time more than a few decades ago there was textile industries in the area, but that's all gone away.

It's something like a mini-Detroit in that the businesses that once created the place have mostly dried up and gone away.
What's left is some farming and very little else other than a place to stop for some fast food or gas along I-95.

So yes - relative to many other places the cost of living is much cheaper, but by no means is it so cheap that those living there are not struggling. A gallon of gas isn't 50% cheaper in Lumberton than it is in Washington DC, or Richmond.

I'd not hesitate to guess that I-95 traffic is the only thing keeping Lumberton from falling apart completely.

Now if the country got behind legalized marijuana, I'd bet Lumberton's economy would pick up a lot.

Welcome to post-Bush Meltdown America!

The failed conservative economic policies of tax cuts for the rich, starving infrastructure and deregulating the owners of capital means increased poverty and less general prosperity as far as the eye can see.

I live less than a half hour away from Forest City, N.C., and I have been there many times. It is a very backwards place in many ways, but I never really thought of it as impoverished, it's a fairly average small town (I don't think that the population listed was correct, that must be for the entire county as Forest City is fairly tiny). Most of that area is quite nice, and I have certainly not seen anyone who looked like they were starving to death there.

It's all relative to how much it cost to live in those cities.

Walmarts in any state their prices are about the same, and gas prices do not down past 3 a gallon. real estate?
How cheap it is would basicaly depend on sales tax and with the treat of interest rates on the horizon?

So even the cheapest prices for liiving rent and utilities after that?:peace

There are remnants of Third World in every developed country and in many cases the numbers are significant.

America is not supposed to be a third world country.
America gives aid to third world countries and gives jobs to third world countries.:peace

I would put no faith in this. Everyone of those places actually have a cost of living below the national average. In fact one city on this list, Forest City, NC is a data center for Facebook. Avg Cost of an Apt in Forest City is $800 a month. Or roughly 30% of the $32,000.

Where does your faith lay ?
Perhaps in the halls of Congress or the Oval office?
Perhaps in a certain political party right or left?
They are doing such a good job of running the govern.... WAIT A MINUTE?
Isn't the government shut down, yet these poorest cities remain open their citizens still work and still try.:peace

America is not supposed to be a third world country.
America gives aid to third world countries and gives jobs to third world countries.:peace

When you have leaders who ruin the economy any developed country can become a banana republic.

Walmarts in any state their prices are about the same, and gas prices do not down past 3 a gallon. real estate?
How cheap it is would basicaly depend on sales tax and with the treat of interest rates on the horizon?

So even the cheapest prices for liiving rent and utilities after that?:peace

There is quite a range of COL throughout the US.

Interstate 95 (the east coast's number 1 major north-south interstate) runs smack-dab through Lumberton.

The area is mostly surrounded by tobacco fields. At one time more than a few decades ago there was textile industries in the area, but that's all gone away.

It's something like a mini-Detroit in that the businesses that once created the place have mostly dried up and gone away.
What's left is some farming and very little else other than a place to stop for some fast food or gas along I-95.

So yes - relative to many other places the cost of living is much cheaper, but by no means is it so cheap that those living there are not struggling. A gallon of gas isn't 50% cheaper in Lumberton than it is in Washington DC, or Richmond.

I'd not hesitate to guess that I-95 traffic is the only thing keeping Lumberton from falling apart completely.

Now if the country got behind legalized marijuana, I'd bet Lumberton's economy would pick up a lot.

I agree with your statement sir,.
The question I would ask is I keep hearing about business drying up and leaving or being outsourced , but I don't hear of too many new business that hire American labor.:peace

Yes, I-95 and Lumberton's many Gas stations, fast food stops and Motels.
Not just that it's on 95, but it's the app and well known Half-way point and overnight stop for people driving from the NY area to South Florida. A drive I've made many times. Though I almost always make it as far South as Savannah thru day 1, Which means driving a few hours more after dinner in Lumberton.
For that reason, I don't see why it would be any poorer than anywhere else in that or other areas.. except.. there are probably many poor illegal immigrants in those service trades, (and maybe farms) making less than min wage.

EDIT, kinda surprised with the list, I would think there are even poorer places in other less bustling areas of especially the Deep South

Last edited:
Where does your faith lay ?
Perhaps in the halls of Congress or the Oval office?
Perhaps in a certain political party right or left?
They are doing such a good job of running the govern.... WAIT A MINUTE?
Isn't the government shut down, yet these poorest cities remain open their citizens still work and still try.:peace

I put no faith in the article which leaves out important data.. like those places are the cheap to live in. Just like I can live in Columbus, Ohio and make 250% less then I did in NYC and still have the same living standard. I made $400,000 a year in NYC when I lived there, and had to rent. I moved to Columbus, making $155,000 a year and bought a house. See the major difference?

So your article proves nothing. So it's not about where my faith lay, who support or don't support politically.. it's just reality. Different places cost different prices.

Welcome to post-Bush Meltdown America!

The failed conservative economic policies of tax cuts for the rich, starving infrastructure and deregulating the owners of capital means increased poverty and less general prosperity as far as the eye can see.

This is not the first time America has faced hard times , it is the first time that both political parties are screwing up though.
You want to blame ?
Blame Congress and all the members, blame the president and the presidents administration.
There are no innocent politicians of D.C. that claim to be the leaders of America nor any of the sheep who blindly walk a partisan political line saying my party makes no mistakes it's the other party. RIGHT OR LEFT BOTH ARE TO BLAME, BOTH ARE AT FAULT.:peace

I live less than a half hour away from Forest City, N.C., and I have been there many times. It is a very backwards place in many ways, but I never really thought of it as impoverished, it's a fairly average small town (I don't think that the population listed was correct, that must be for the entire county as Forest City is fairly tiny). Most of that area is quite nice, and I have certainly not seen anyone who looked like they were starving to death there.

Perhaps it is because the people there know their limitation and no what the word budget means.
After all I have been considered working at poverty wage more than once never went hungry or homeless though,
I didn't have a lot, nor the best. but what I had was mine no payments no debt.:peace

When you have leaders who ruin the economy any developed country can become a banana republic.

I can not but agree with that statement while the average people of labor sit and wait to work at a job pay taxes and spend money.:peace

Yes, I-95 and Lumberton's many Gas stations, fast food stops and Motels.
Not just that it's on 95, but it's the app and well known Half-way point and overnight stop for people driving from the NY area to South Florida. A drive I've made many times. Though I almost always make it as far South as Savannah thru day 1, Which means driving a few hours more after dinner in Lumberton.
For that reason, I don't see why it would be any poorer than anywhere else in that or other areas.. except.. there are probably many poor illegal immigrants in those service trades, (and maybe farms) making less than min wage.

EDIT, kinda surprised with the list, I would think there are even poorer places in other less bustling areas of especially the Deep South

Perhaps there are I merely got this off a Yahoo news feed.

As I said in the OP it is not the location nor population that caught my eye it was the average annual income .
Let's face it 32 grand ain't living high on the hog .
29 grand ain't that far above poiverty level according to the cost of living.

I put no faith in the article which leaves out important data.. like those places are the cheap to live in. Just like I can live in Columbus, Ohio and make 250% less then I did in NYC and still have the same living standard. I made $400,000 a year in NYC when I lived there, and had to rent. I moved to Columbus, making $155,000 a year and bought a house. See the major difference?

So your article proves nothing. So it's not about where my faith lay, who support or don't support politically.. it's just reality. Different places cost different prices.

No matter where you live in America if you can't make a living on 155 grand you got some heavy expenses.

You are talking of living good , I'm talking of living comfortable which is all American labor ever wanted.:peace

No matter where you live in America if you can't make a living on 155 grand you got some heavy expenses.

You are talking of living good , I'm talking of living comfortable which is all American labor ever wanted.:peace

. Go back and reread and get off your bias.. then we'll talk.

. Go back and reread and get off your bias.. then we'll talk.

Show me where I was bias then I'll get off it it is hard to retract a bias statement without knowing a bias statement..
Right wingers are always accusing me of being bias , which I find strange so do left wingers.

Right and Left wings of politics can play the blame/victim game , there are people in America that have no time for this they want to fix the problem not who to blame or who the victim is.?:peace

Show me where I was bias then I'll get off it it is hard to retract a bias statement without knowing a bias statement..
Right wingers are always accusing me of being bias , which I find strange so do left wingers.

Right and Left wings of politics can play the blame/victim game , there are people in America that have no time for this they want to fix the problem not who to blame or who the victim is.?:peace

You assume people are entitled to a certain standard of living in the US. Nobody is guaranteed a certain standard of living in the US or in the world. In fact those living in those places on the list live better then 98% of the rest of the world. In fact, making $28,293 makes them 86,198,506 million richest person in the world.. and puts them in the top 2%. So it's all about perspective.

Global Rich List

You assume people are entitled to a certain standard of living in the US. Nobody is guaranteed a certain standard of living in the US or in the world. In fact those living in those places on the list live better then 98% of the rest of the world. In fact, making $28,293 makes them 86,198,506 million richest person in the world.. and puts them in the top 2%. So it's all about perspective.

Global Rich List

This is America not the rest of the world, I heard a speech when I was but a lad growing up; eat your food people in Russia are starving, people in America are doing without.

If it is as you say nobody is guaranteed a standard of living based on a job with decent wages in America.
So are we to do away with bailouts, tax cuts for millionaires , research grants for private companies as well?

Is it as you say "nobody is guaranteed a certain standard of living" or does America make exceptions?
Perhaps you meant to say "nobody is guaranteed a certain standard of living EXCEPT PRIVATE CORPORATIONS, EXCEPT MILLIONAIRES AND UP.

As for the $86,198,506 that are the richest in the world if each paid a dollar America would still be in debt.:peace

Back
Top Bottom