• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are there more uneducated voters on the left or on the right?

• Total voters

Moderate Right

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Just curious. The left claim that the uneducated people voted Trump into office. I say there are more uneducated on the left than there are on the right.

Just curious. The left claim that the uneducated people voted Trump into office. I say there are more uneducated on the left than there are on the right.

By uneducated, what do you mean? Do you mean people who literally have not completed compulsory public education (high school drop-outs)? Or people who are simply ill-informed or ignorant about certain political issues?

That isn't true. Trump's base was middle class Republicans. He brought some new people into the fold, but they weren't responsible for most of the votes.

Depends on what you mean by educated.

Certainly the left has more people with college degrees.... but in my opinion that seems to be a function of indoctrination/influence rather than education.

Intellectuals have always been responsible for almost all the greatest tragedies in human history. You do not get common sense and wisdom from education.

I fail to see how this thread is going to end well.

The problem isn't uneducated it's unthinking and there are far too many of those on both sides of the aisle.

Who are "the left" that claims this? Why is it, whenever any one says "the left" says something, it is always something I and most others on the left have not said?

Here is real data: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html

By that, those with less education where more likely to vote Trump, with him winning among those in the high school or less category by 4 points, and the some college category by 9 points, while losing the college grad and post grad categories. That does not really answer the question though, as most other demographic types had a larger disparity in margins.

I think a more accurate barometer would be where they are economically when they turn 30.

Depends on what you mean by educated.

Certainly the left has more people with college degrees.... but in my opinion that seems to be a function of indoctrination/influence rather than education.

Intellectuals have always been responsible for almost all the greatest tragedies in human history. You do not get common sense and wisdom from education.

Another anti-intellectual. True, you can’t get common sense from a degree. However, a college education does provide you with a wealth of knowledge, experience, and exposure to help you understand the complexities of a changing, dynamic world. On the other hand, those who choose to live their entire lives in the town where they were born and raised, where 90% or more of their neighbors think, believe, and look just like them, are resigned to isolating themselves in a cultural bubble.

Consideration must be given to how Independents votes in 2016. Independents played a significant role in the 2016 election. The OP does not seem take Independents into consideration. What was the average level of education of Independents in 2016?

I don't know about the rest of the nation but in Arizona citizens have become more and more fed up with partisan politics. It's ugly. As a result Independents as a voting group have grown much more rapidly than Democrats or Republicans.

Hard to say, so long as everyone keeps voting Republocrat, it may be equally uneducated.

I don't know about quantity, but when it comes to quality the Left is hands down more educated. Generally, what I have found is that Republicans have average minds. While Liberals tend to occupy the two extremes. They have some of the least educated voters, but also the most educated voters. When you look at exit polling for most of the last few presidential elections Democrats did very well among the poorly educated. People with maybe a high school diploma at best. Republicans did very well with the moderately educated. People with some college up to a bachelors degree, but then Democrats once again dominated among the most highly educated. People with masters degrees, PhDs, and other upper graduate degrees.

The reason I think is that it has a lot to do with attention span. There are a lot of bad arguments for liberalism. Things like, you have to feed the poor, you have to heal the sick, war is bad... They're nothing more than simplistic appeals to emotion. Then there are slightly better arguments for conservatism that can easily defeat those arguments. But then there's a whole other level of liberal argumentation that can easily blow away those conservative arguments.

When you look at the forms of media that conservatives tend to do well on its things like cable news and talk radio. Liberals tend to do better in print media like newspapers and online. I think the reason is that in a 10-minute tv or radio segment there's really only time to analyze and understand the simple liberal argument and the only moderately better Republican argument. The better liberal argument is more complex and difficult to understand. An opinion piece in a newspaper or a blog post online can more effectively detail the full argument in its entirety, but when you're watching cable news, and you've got pundits shouting over each other it's hard to get through it and help the audience understand it at a higher level.

I think another aspect of it is work requirements. The average minds of Republicans can achieve success in life, but it's generally more difficult. They have to work harder to achieve the same level of success that those of us with higher levels of intelligence can achieve quite easily. The result is that they have less sympathy for those who are struggling and they are more belligerent about keeping everything they think they earned. Whereas those of us who have had success come to us a bit more easily recognize the role that talent, opportunity, and privilege play into success and are therefore more likely to feel bad for those who aren't able to achieve it so easily.

I've noticed a somewhat common theme when it comes to success. Those of us that are truly on the top tend to have more sympathy for those who are below, but those who are in the middle or getting close to the top are still a bit insecure and will stop at nothing to move higher even if they have to step on those below. The analogy I like to make is that of Superman. Average people want to project an image of themselves to the world that makes them look like they are Superman, but Superman wants to project an image of himself to the world that makes him look like Clark Kent a bumbling nerdy reporter that you wouldn't think twice about.

Or to put it another way, imagine a round robin basketball tournament featuring the best high school girl in the country, a men's college freshmen, and Lebron James. The college guy knows he should beat the girl, but he's scared that if he doesn't try as hard as possible she could somehow beat him, and he'd get embarassed for losing to a girl. But Lebron knows he can easily dominate both players so he's more likely to take it easy and allow them to get a few close looks at the basket on him. He might let the girl get to 9 points before he scores his 11th to win, and he might let the guy get to 7 points before he scores his 11th.

Intellectuals have always been responsible for almost all the greatest tragedies in human history.

Ummm....what now? Can you name even ONE great tragedy caused by an intellectual? From where I'm sitting it is generally religious indoctrination which is the cause of all the greatest tragedies in human history, and it is higher education critical thinking skills that help you un-brainwash yourself.

I don't know about the rest of the nation but in Arizona, citizens have become more and more fed up with partisan politics. It's ugly. As a result, Independents as a voting group have grown much more rapidly than Democrats or Republicans.

You're talking about a state with two Republican Senators, like three consecutive Republican Governors, and Joe Arpaio. Maybe if Arizona ever actually tried letting Democrats run their state for a while they'd find out that what the imagine democrats to be, and what they seem to be very skewed.

A more pertinent question at this time is who has the most energized voters? The left or the right?

Education is a great asset, but education won't affect anything if the educated elect to stay home on November 6, 2018.

You're talking about a state with two Republican Senators, like three consecutive Republican Governors, and Joe Arpaio. Maybe if Arizona ever actually tried letting Democrats run their state for a while they'd find out that what the imagine democrats to be, and what they seem to be very skewed.

Indeed. At the same time we are talking about a state with an abysmal public school system. Arizona is ranked 48th in education, K-12 and 49th in per pupil funding. We have a Koch purchased governor and Koch supported GOP legislature who continue to legislate and direct paltry public school funds into private schools.

Arizona can rightfully expect to continue to have a poorly educated voter population that supports right wing extremism. It is what the powers that be want and dark money comes into Arizona by the truckloads to support it.

Another anti-intellectual. True, you can’t get common sense from a degree. However, a college education does provide you with a wealth of knowledge, experience, and exposure to help you understand the complexities of a changing, dynamic world. On the other hand, those who choose to live their entire lives in the town where they were born and raised, where 90% or more of their neighbors think, believe, and look just like them, are resigned to isolating themselves in a cultural bubble.

I'm not an anti-Intellectual... I am about to graduate with a graduate degree in Physics. I am simply giving a very good reason for intellectuals be to stay humble.... something they are notoriously terrible with.

I'm not an anti-Intellectual... I am about to graduate with a graduate degree in Physics. I am simply giving a very good reason for intellectuals be to stay humble.... something they are notoriously terrible with.

Well congratulations on your soon-to-be-awarded degree. Now you join the rest of those blood thirsty intellectuals who have been responsible for human tragedies.

Anecdotally, one can glean the answer to the title question by noting the dearth of William F. Buckley-esque intellectuals among the modern GOP. If not extinct, they are almost surely rarer than white rhinos. Alternatively, one can peruse discussion boards such as this one and notice the lines of argument and nature of assertions made by conservatives. Not all of them are flat-out puerile, but a great many of them either are or derive from notions that simply cannot be supported by soundly/cogently conducted analysis.

One doesn't really need to wonder what is the answer to the title question. One need only seek the information.

As of April 2015:
Education. Democrats lead by 22 points (57%-35%) in leaned party identification among adults with post-graduate degrees. The Democrats’ edge is narrower among those with college degrees or some post-graduate experience (49%-42%), and those with less education (47%-39%). Across all educational categories, women are more likely than men to affiliate with the Democratic Party or lean Democratic. The Democrats’ advantage is 35 points (64%-29%) among women with post-graduate degrees, but only eight points (50%-42%) among post-grad men. (Source)

4-6-2015_05.png

As of April 2016:

4-22-2016_02.png

Other references:

Well congratulations on your soon-to-be-awarded degree. Now you join the rest of those blood thirsty intellectuals who have been responsible for human tragedies.

Certainly hope not. Many think the world is predictable, and everything will go according to plan... when nine times out of ten it will fail. The human race is not a toy. Unintended consequences are rampant and when you want to change things for the greater good with the power of monopolized violence, listen to the wisdom of those that died for your freedom from tyranny.

Certainly hope not. Many think the world is predictable, and everything will go according to plan... when nine times out of ten it will fail. The human race is not a toy. Unintended consequences are rampant and when you want to change things for the greater good with the power of monopolized violence, listen to the wisdom of those that died for your freedom from tyranny.

I was an idealistic libertarian like you once. That was until I realized the only effective strategy to bring about a libertarian system of government is through violence, revolution, and subsequent chaos. Libertarians prefer to watch it all burn down so they can start over. Instead, I prefer to keep the current system and improve upon it. Most Americans are reformists anyway, not revolutionaries.

Back
Top Bottom