• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are there any good forums to discuss personal issues?

SCitizen

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I banned myself from SDMB before the mods had the pleasure to do so. Are there any good places to discuss personal psychological issues as well as computer issues?

The LAST place I'd want to discuss psychological issues is ANYWHERE on the internet.

What is SDMB?

I've never understood the urge some people have to talk endlessly about personal issues with total strangers.

I've never understood the urge some people have to talk endlessly about personal issues with total strangers.

that post alone tells me you were not a college psychology major

For some people it's easier--"safer" to unburden themselves anonymously. One danger, of course, is trolls/poseurs.

For some people it's easier--"safer" to unburden themselves anonymously. One danger, of course, is trolls/poseurs.

I always thought a forum like this to spill whatever is on the mind was a good outlet. But, yeah. I noticed too that a lot of people will remember what was said during one of these "mind dumps" and then throw that information back at the person later. It's not something I recommend, either way. But, it is what it is.

I banned myself from SDMB before the mods had the pleasure to do so. Are there any good places to discuss personal psychological issues as well as computer issues?

Just an idea, depending on what issues you want to discuss.
Create a group and make it by invite only for those who want to discuss the same problems.

Just an idea, depending on what issues you want to discuss.
Create a group and make it by invite only for those who want to discuss the same problems.

Only long time veterans of the forum with tens of thousands of posts should create groups.

I always thought a forum like this to spill whatever is on the mind was a good outlet.

You have 30,000 posts here. I have about 8,000 posts in Russian and 6,000 in English since 1990s. Thus I am more of a stranger then a host here.

Because a lot of this stuff is too embarrassing to tell someone you know and/or telling them would cause even more problems.

So now you know.

You're welcome.

I for years helped CSA (Childhood Sexual Abuse) survivors and their often suffering mates (something I used to be) online. A lot of them were nowhere nears able to handle a place like DP, they need very restricted safe places.

You have 30,000 posts here. I have about 8,000 posts in Russian and 6,000 in English since 1990s. Thus I am more of a stranger then a host here.

I have OCD. You should see my post total on the other forums.

I have OCD. You should see my post total on the other forums.

What is OCD.

I am proud to have Asperger's Syndrome, Moderate Depression. I take antidepressants since 1995. I visit psychologists since 1990.

Hahaha- I have been banned from that dump THREE times now (and am back for a 4th, still-active incarnation). I have a lifetime aggregate total of maybe 10,000 posts at a total of about six other message boards, with no bans (a few suspensions, though). I therefore think it is reasonable to say that the SDMB mods are way over-the-top in the sensitiveness, finnickkyness, and asshole departments.

As for discussing shrink issues I'm with lutherf- better leave that alone on the net.

Hahaha- I have been banned from that dump THREE times now (and am back for a 4th, still-active incarnation). I have a lifetime aggregate total of maybe 10,000 posts at a total of about six other message boards, with no bans (a few suspensions, though). I therefore think it is reasonable to say that the SDMB mods are way over-the-top in the sensitiveness, finnickkyness, and asshole departments.

As for discussing shrink issues I'm with lutherf- better leave that alone on the net.

There are much more ban -- happy forums such as NeoGaf and Something Awful.

I have 8,000 posts on forums which are not ban -- happy, but most posters here would not understand a word.

What is OCD.

I am proud to have Asperger's Syndrome, Moderate Depression. I take antidepressants since 1995. I visit psychologists since 1990.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

I am proud to be drug free, but I visit forums 24/7, play hours and hours of computer chess, dig lots of holes in my yard and fill them back in with funny little green things that grow, ride my bike for several hundred miles a week, and write novels that I have no intention of ever trying to publish.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

I am proud to be drug free, but I visit forums 24/7, play hours and hours of computer chess, dig lots of holes in my yard and fill them back in with funny little green things that grow, ride my bike for several hundred miles a week, and write novels that I have no intention of ever trying to publish.

Thanks for sharing. I play mostly Runescape. I am 99 Ranger, Mage, Constitution(lifepoints), Summoning, Slayer.

Thanks for sharing. I play mostly Runescape. I am 99 Ranger, Mage, Constitution(lifepoints), Summoning, Slayer.

I used to have much more self-destructive obsessions. It took a few decades to focus my energies in positive directions.

anyone suggesting DP doesn't remember the last time a poster complained he couldn't get laid

always keep in mind that while the internet removes the face to face stigma and the risks to your personal relationships, anonymity also means people can give you **** to no end

i would stay clear of IRC style chat which some of those forums have. It's like the world's biggest group therapy where no one listens. Same with forum posts, you might get some good specific advice on a medication or something, but everyone is dwelling on their own problems

you're better off finding 1-2 ppl to connect with on a regular basis. Read some posts that resonate with you, send them a PM

you're better off finding 1-2 ppl to connect with on a regular basis. Read some posts that resonate with you, send them a PM

I am in fact looking for telephone friends. I know there are hundreds of thousands of people sharing my issues, and views, but still it is hard to find them.

anyone suggesting DP doesn't remember the last time a poster complained he couldn't get laid

always keep in mind that while the internet removes the face to face stigma and the risks to your personal relationships, anonymity also means people can give you **** to no end

i would stay clear of IRC style chat which some of those forums have. It's like the world's biggest group therapy where no one listens. Same with forum posts, you might get some good specific advice on a medication or something, but everyone is dwelling on their own problems

When someone comes in here and spills his guts over a personal matter, it is rather disheartening to see another poster bring it up at a future date during a heated discussion. It's even worse when the offender is a mod.

Back
Top Bottom