• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Are there any exceptions to abortion laws?

Loxd4

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Are there any exceptions to abortion laws? The reason why I ask this question is because there was a 17 year old girl that was 4 months pregnant and went to the doctor for some more tests for baby to make sure the baby ok. And the test came back saying they baby has an 80% of a changes to get Parkinson’s disease. She made the choice to get an abortion after being 4 months pregnant. This event happens in South Carolina so is this illegal in this state and how about in the United States? And isn’t this murder after 4 months of being pregnant and getting abortion?

They can test for Parkinson's? :neutral: You don't mean Down's Syndrome, perhaps?

Parkinsons cannot be diagnosed in the womb.:confused:

HOW IS PARKINSON'S DISEASE DIAGNOSED?

Parkinson's disease is usually diagnosed by a neurologist who can evaluate symptoms and their severity. There is no test that can clearly identify the disease. Sometimes people with suspected Parkinson's disease are given anti-Parkinson's drugs to see if they respond. Other tests, such as brain scans, can help doctors decide if a patient has true Parkinson's disease or some other disorder that resembles it. Microscopic brain structures called Lewy bodies, which can be seen only during an autopsy, are regarded as a hallmark of classical Parkinson's. Autopsies have uncovered Lewy bodies in a surprising number of older persons without diagnosed Parkinson's -- 8% of people over 50, almost 13% of people over 70, and almost 16% of those over 80, according to one study. As a result, some experts believe Parkinson's disease is something of an "iceberg; phenomenon," lurking undetected in as many as 20 people for each known Parkinson's patient. A few researchers contend that almost everyone would develop Parkinson's eventually if they lived long enough.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/parkinsons_disease/parkinsons_disease_backgrounder.htm

Last edited:
Hmm.

If you have your unborn boy tested for the (supposed) "gay gene" and it comes back positive, is it ok to abort him?

I got my facts straight it was Down's syndrome. But is the illegally or what? If she was four months pregnant.

Loxd4 said:
I got my facts straight it was Down's syndrome. But is the illegally or what? If she was four months pregnant.

It is legal to terminate up to birth for fetal abnormality

FISHX said:
It is legal to terminate up to birth for fetal abnormality

But I was just an 80% that it would have Down's syndrome, I still had a 20% change I it would be born normally. And what dose the percent have to be to get an abortion done.

So all I woman has to do ever being 4 months pregnant has to drink alcohol or fell down to make the baby have a birth effect and it could be aborted right?

Loxd4 said:
But I was just an 80% that it would have Down's syndrome, I still had a 20% change I it would be born normally. And what dose the percent have to be to get an abortion done.

So all I woman has to do ever being 4 months pregnant has to drink alcohol or fell down to make the baby have a birth effect and it could be aborted right?

there is no percentage border line as far as i know if there s fetal abnormality of any magnatude you can terminate up till birth.

I can,t see any woman intentionally causing a abnormality in fact i dont think that falling down will cause and abnormality maybe a misscarriage but why would a woman do that when she is still within the law toterminate without fetal abnormality.

FISHX said:
there is no percentage border line as far as i know if there s fetal abnormality of any magnatude you can terminate up till birth.

I can,t see any woman intentionally causing a abnormality in fact i dont think that falling down will cause and abnormality maybe a misscarriage but why would a woman do that when she is still within the law toterminate without fetal abnormality.

What happen if she if cant do it within the law?

Loxd4 said:
What happen if she if cant do it within the law?

Then she continues the pregnancy and has her baby.

How is Down's a reason to abort anyway? Why is okay to be so prejudiced against people with disabilities--especially your own children???

Personally--I find it disgusting. It is placing a subjective value on the "quality" of an individual's life. Why don't we just exterminate the born ones too if existance is such a :censored burden?! OH--this especially burns me up... The prognosis for people with Trisomy 21 is GOOD!!!! And they can have extremely fulfilling lives and contribute to the lives of others by their existence.... Grrrr.....it is so unjust! :( And yet perfectly legal on a "hunch" that the baby will have this disability...Even if it could be determined 100% that the baby has down's it is just bigotry!

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/down_syndrome.jsp
Prognosis

The prognosis in Down syndrome is quite variable, depending on the types of complications (heart defects, susceptibility to infections, development of leukemia) of each individual baby. The severity of the retardation can also vary significantly. Without the presence of heart defects, about 90% of children with Down syndrome live into their teens. People with Down syndrome appear to go through the normal physical changes of aging more rapidly, however. The average age of death for an individual with Down syndrome is about 50-55 years.

Still, the prognosis for a baby born with Down syndrome is better than ever before. Because of modern medical treatments, including antibiotics to treat infections and surgery to treat heart defects and duodenal atresia, life expectancy has greatly increased. Community and family support allows people with Down syndrome to have rich, meaningful relationships. Because of educational programs, some people with Down syndrome are able to hold jobs.

Men with Down syndrome appear to be uniformly sterile (meaning that they are unable to have offspring). Women with Down syndrome, however, are fully capable of having babies. About 50% of these babies, however, will also be born with Down syndrome.

Felicity said:
How is Down's a reason to abort anyway? Why is okay to be so prejudiced against people with disabilities--especially your own children???

Personally--I find it disgusting. It is placing a subjective value on the "quality" of an individual's life. Why don't we just exterminate the born ones too if existance is such a :censored burden?! OH--this especially burns me up... The prognosis for people with Trisomy 21 is GOOD!!!! And they can have extremely fulfilling lives and contribute to the lives of others by their existence.... Grrrr.....it is so unjust! :( And yet perfectly legal on a "hunch" that the baby will have this disability...Even if it could be determined 100% that the baby has down's it is just bigotry!

Prognosis

The prognosis in Down syndrome is quite variable, depending on the types of complications (heart defects, susceptibility to infections, development of leukemia) of each individual baby. The severity of the retardation can also vary significantly. Without the presence of heart defects, about 90% of children with Down syndrome live into their teens. People with Down syndrome appear to go through the normal physical changes of aging more rapidly, however. The average age of death for an individual with Down syndrome is about 50-55 years.

Still, the prognosis for a baby born with Down syndrome is better than ever before. Because of modern medical treatments, including antibiotics to treat infections and surgery to treat heart defects and duodenal atresia, life expectancy has greatly increased. Community and family support allows people with Down syndrome to have rich, meaningful relationships. Because of educational programs, some people with Down syndrome are able to hold jobs.

Men with Down syndrome appear to be uniformly sterile (meaning that they are unable to have offspring). Women with Down syndrome, however, are fully capable of having babies. About 50% of these babies, however, will also be born with Down syndrome.

I,m with you on this one all the way.

Loxd4 said:
Are there any exceptions to abortion laws? The reason why I ask this question is because there was a 17 year old girl that was 4 months pregnant and went to the doctor for some more tests for baby to make sure the baby ok. And the test came back saying they baby has an 80% of a changes to get Parkinson’s disease. She made the choice to get an abortion after being 4 months pregnant. This event happens in South Carolina so is this illegal in this state and how about in the United States? And isn’t this murder after 4 months of being pregnant and getting abortion?

none.murder is murder.I don't care what happened.

Loxd4 said:

Have you done any research on abortion? Most states allow abortion at any time during the pregnancy, for any reason.

South Carolina laws specifically say:

South Carolina Citizens for Life said:
Website

I.Abortion is legal in South Carolina through the entire nine months of a woman's pregnancy.
That is because of what the United States Supreme Court decisions Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton said in 1973. The "trimester" breakdown modeled after Roe v. Wade is currently law in South Carolina.

Months 1-3, legal for any reason, no restrictions except must have the pregnant woman's consent. (first trimester)

Months 4-6, legal for any reason; clinic or hospital performing the abortion must be licensed. (second trimester)

Months 7-9, legal for preserving "the life or health of the woman." (The Supreme Court, in the companion abortion case to Roe v. Wade, called Doe v. Bolton, defined the term health as any physical, emotional, psychological, familial or age factor relevant to the well-being of the woman.) (third trimester)

Although, I did find this information as well, and, I couldn't find anything saying when the SCCFL website was last updated, so I'm not completely clear on what SC laws are....if anyone else has more information, that'd be helpful.

Red-Phase said:
none.murder is murder.I don't care what happened.
And abortion isn't murder, your trolling none withstanding.

Felicity said:

Prognosis

Suddenly you're all compassionate?! ROFL!

vergiss said:
Suddenly you're all compassionate?! ROFL!

...:confused: and when haven't I been concerned about the welfare of people? Just because I make no bones about my position and can say it with conviction--that does not mena I lack compassion. I believe you were involved with a discussion on true mercy and misplaced mercy...? If I am mistaken, I'd be happy to explain the difference.

Back
Top Bottom