• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are the Trump tax only for the rich?

code1211

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Well, I just completed my taxes for the 2018 tax year.

My income was pretty much the same year to year- only about a 2% increase year over year. Poor me!

My Federal Taxes owed reduced by 22%. Refund was down a bit. Taxes withheld for the year were down about 17%. I got a little more in every paycheck and still got a refund of about the same size: down 5% year over year.

Thank you, President Trump!

I've read posts from many of the Never Trumpers here that the tax cuts were only for "The Rich". I'm am decidedly NOT in that group of folks and yet I got a 22% cut in taxes.

As we all do our taxes here, how about we all post our personal experiences and outcomes?

Might be interesting to review the real world facts as opposed to the partisan hackery that has dominated the conversation through the year after the Trump Tax Cut was signed into law.

Estimates of Federal Tax income are that it will increase by 192 billion this year over last. The increase last year was 129 Billion and the year before that was 164 Billion.

The 192 Billion increase is the biggest one since the jump logged in 2009 based on the 2008 economy. In 2011, Federal Tax Revenue actually dropped.

I paid less and the Feds get more. Sounds pretty good! More work of the guy with the magic wand.

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/statistics/federal-receipt-and-outlay-summary

I don't think anyone said they were ONLY for the rich. The only thing that was said that vast majority of the benefit goes to the rich. You were given some cuts too for sure, to keep you voting right... but the main benefit of course goes to families like Trumps. They will get a windfall you can only dream of... See how it works out nicely - you are fooled and they get most of the benefit.

I don't think anyone said they were ONLY for the rich. The only thing that was said that vast majority of the benefit goes to the rich. You were given some cuts too for sure, to keep you voting right... but the main benefit of course goes to families like Trumps. They will get a windfall you can only dream of... See how it works out nicely - you are fooled and they get most of the benefit.

And the kicker will come later - when all the accrued debt from the resulting deficits has to be repaid. Wonder who will have to pay that? Trumpists or the middle class?

And the kicker will come later - when all the accrued debt from the resulting deficits has to be repaid. Wonder who will have to pay that? Trumpists or the middle class?

Let me know when the so called Trump debt gets to the 9.3 trillion that Obama generated? As usual this is all about revenue going to the federal bureaucrats and not remaining in the pockets of the people who earned it in the first place for you. The radical left loves people like you

My income was pretty much the same year to year- only about a 2% increase year over year. Poor me!

My Federal Taxes owed reduced by 22%. Refund was down a bit. Taxes withheld for the year were down about 17%. I got a little more in every paycheck and still got a refund of about the same size: down 5% year over year.

I've read posts from many of the Never Trumpers here that the tax cuts were only for "The Rich". I'm am decidedly NOT in that group of folks and yet I got a 22% cut in taxes.

As we all do our taxes here, how about we all post our personal experiences and outcomes?

Might be interesting to review the real world facts as opposed to the partisan hackery that has dominated the conversation through the year after the Trump Tax Cut was signed into law.

Estimates of Federal Tax income are that it will increase by 192 billion this year over last. The increase last year was 129 Billion and the year before that was 164 Billion.

The 192 Billion increase is the biggest one since the jump logged in 2009 based on the 2008 economy. In 2011, Federal Tax Revenue actually dropped.

I paid less and the Feds get more. Sounds pretty good! More work of the guy with the magic wand.

The Trump tax cuts do the following,

Raise low income workers after-tax income by 0.8%
Raise middle class Americans after-tax income by 1.5%
Raise the richest 1% of Americans after-tax income by 13.5%
Raise the richest 0.1% of Americans after-tax income by 14.2%

And in total the Trump tax cuts give 47% of their benefits to the richest 1% of Americans.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetn...to-richest-1-new-analysis-finds/#1ccb08765b9d

Trumps tax cuts also abolished the Estate Tax (a tax that only effects the richest 0.2% of Americans.) And for example, Trumps Estate Tax changes will give Donald Trumps own family an extra $2.8 billion dollars.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...mps-proposed-tax-cuts-are-his-kids-2017-09-28

And Trumps tax cuts change in the year 2027. At that time 53% of lower income Americans Americans will be forced to pay higher taxes, and then richest 1% of Americans will receive 83% of the Trump tax cuts.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...ax-bill-congress-conference-tax-policy-center

Let me know when the so called Trump debt gets to the 9.3 trillion that Obama generated? As usual this is all about revenue going to the federal bureaucrats and not remaining in the pockets of the people who earned it in the first place for you. The radical left loves people like you

Obama's policies added about $2.2 trillion dollars to our national debt during his time in office.

Obama added $2.7 trillion dollars to our national debt from 2013-2022 by extending 82% of the Bush tax cuts.
Budget Deal Makes Permanent 82 Percent of President Bush

And Obama added $831 billion dollars to our national debt with his 2009 stimulus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Recovery_and_Reinvestment_Act_of_2009

The other $7 trillion dollars added to our debt during Obama's time in office was caused by the Bush administrations Iraq/Afghanistan wars, GW Bush's tax cuts that took place when Obama first entered office, increased spending by GW Bush (Bush increased spending by 48.6%), and federal subsidies started by GW Bush, ex.ex.

Economic Downturn and Legacy of Bush Policies Continue to Drive Large Deficits | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Report: Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan cost almost $5 trillion so far
https://www.mercatus.org/publication/spending-under-president-george-w-bush
Do Crony Handouts Have a Stranglehold on the GOP?

Obama's policies added about $2.2 trillion dollars to our national debt during his time in office.

Obama added $2.7 trillion dollars to our national debt from 2013-2022 by extending 82% of the Bush tax cuts.

And Obama added $831 billion dollars to our national debt with his 2009 stimulus.

The other $7 trillion dollars added to our debt during Obama's time in office was caused by the Bush administrations Iraq/Afghanistan wars, GW Bush's tax cuts that took place when Obama first entered office, increased spending by GW Bush (Bush increased spending by 48.6%), and federal subsidies started by GW Bush, ex.ex.

Economic Downturn and Legacy of Bush Policies Continue to Drive Large Deficits | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

OMG, how in the hell are so many people so indoctrinated into believing what the left tells them and ignoring the official data. You couldn't be more wrong. Treasury.org will give you the debt for Obama and it was 9.3 TRILLION dollars. All this work you did posting articles none of which are in context and not posting official treasury data.

This thread isn't about Obama although you want to make it about Obama by propping up his Administration and posting partisan article that have no resemblance to civics. Tax cuts aren't an expense thus don't have to be paid for. People keeping more of what they earn obviously is a problem for indoctrinated liberals who need the massive central govt. in violation of the Constitution

Trump's tax cuts went to ALL Americans who pay Federal Income Taxes so apparently you aren't one of those and are in the approximate 50% who don't pay FIT. How do you give a tax cut to someone who doesn't pay FIT?

Looks like another newbie here and someone out of touch with reality

OMG, how in the hell are so many people so indoctrinated into believing what the left tells them and ignoring the official data. You couldn't be more wrong. Treasury.org will give you the debt for Obama and it was 9.3 TRILLION dollars. All this work you did posting articles none of which are in context and not posting official treasury data.

This thread isn't about Obama although you want to make it about Obama by propping up his Administration and posting partisan article that have no resemblance to civics. Tax cuts aren't an expense thus don't have to be paid for. People keeping more of what they earn obviously is a problem for indoctrinated liberals who need the massive central govt. in violation of the Constitution

Trump's tax cuts went to ALL Americans who pay Federal Income Taxes so apparently you aren't one of those and are in the approximate 50% who don't pay FIT. How do you give a tax cut to someone who doesn't pay FIT?

Looks like another newbie here and someone out of touch with reality
Again YOU want to start Obama's debt total on the day he took office
and He like every other President does NOT take over the Debt and the Budget till Oct first of the year he takes office
Obama did NOT run the debt up 9.3 Trillion for the time he was responsible for the debt
on Oct 1 of 2009 the debt was
and I will give you a couple of days
on Oct 2 of 2017 it was 20,347,802,336,477.80
a difference of 8,427,283,172,158.38
and Trump ran it up ( and I am taking it from Oct 2 , 2017 to Sept 28th 2018 NOT Oct 1 2017 to Sept. 30th 2018) and it was 1,168,255,846,702.43 ( 4 days short of a full Fiscal year)
and as of Jan 29 Trump has run it up 1,625,528,664,944.90
That is in one year 4 Months and that is in a " good " economy
IF he keeps this up he will by pass Obama IF he stays in office for 8 years as it is he is well on the way to by passing Obama's first 4 years.
In Trumps first year and 4 months he has already almost equaled Obama's first fiscal year
and that was 1,651,794,027,380.22
Obama's second fiscal year it went UP 1,228,717,297,665.18 A lot less then Trump's first Fiscal year ( and if you take the 457,272,818,242.47 and X it by 3 you get 1,364,748,454,727.41) so add what Trumps first two fiscal years could be iF he keeps going the way he is and you get 2,533,004,301,429.84 and Obama's first two years were a total of 2,870,411,325,045.94 just a little over 347 Billion short of Obama's debt for two years.
We will have to see what he does but it looks like he will by pass Obama in no time

all info on here came from the US Treasury website
https://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/d...tYear=2009&endMonth=10&endDay=02&endYear=2017
Have a nice day

OMG, how in the hell are so many people so indoctrinated into believing what the left tells them and ignoring the official data.

Donald Trump became president on January-20-2017, and on that day the national debt was $19.9 trillion dollars.
https://treasurydirect.gov/NP/debt/...=20&startYear=2017&endMonth=&endDay=&endYear=

And on January-20-2018 the national debt was $20.4 trillion dollars.
https://treasurydirect.gov/NP/debt/...=20&startYear=2018&endMonth=&endDay=&endYear=

What policies did Donald Trump enact in his first year in office to raise our national debt by $500 billion dollars?
Answer: None. During Trumps first year in office Obama's budget was in place, and Trump did not have the time/ability to add money to the debt. Trump inherited the national debt growth that happened during his first year in office (and Obama inherited national debt growth in a similar way.)

You couldn't be more wrong. Treasury.org will give you the debt for Obama and it was 9.3 TRILLION dollars. All this work you did posting articles none of which are in context and not posting official treasury data.

What policies did Obama enact to cause our national debt to rise by $9.3 trillion dollars?

I will start you off answering the above question,

Obama added $2.7 trillion dollars to our national debt from 2013-2022 by extending 82% of the Bush tax cuts. And from 2013-2017 Obama added about $1.6 trillion to our debt by extending the Bush tax cuts.

Obama added $831 billion dollars to our national debt with his 2009 stimulus.

What other policies did Obama enact to add the remaining $7 trillion dollars to our national debt?

Last edited:

Interesting how you and the rest of the left want to divert from the Trump results to defend the Obama failures. Reality sucks in the liberal world so you trump it with personal feelings and emotions. Obama's economic results made Jimmy Carter look good as history will show

Do you understand that expenses for the Iraq War were included in the debt that Obama inherited, 10.6 trillion? being on or off budget doesn't matter when it comes to the debt. Cannot believe how poorly informed so many are

Fiscal year of the U.S. runs from October to September and there was no budget approved for Bush for fiscal year 2009 thus he had no spending authority to create the deficits you are blaming him for in 2009, ALL OBAMA's. Oh, by the way TARP was included in the 2009 deficits but TARP was a loan that was repaid after Bush left office. Find out what happened to those repayments?

chad;1069631653]Donald Trump became president on January-20-2017, and

on that day the national debt was $19.9 trillion dollars.

And on January-20-2018 the national debt was $20.4 trillion dollars.

What policies did Donald Trump enact in his first year in office to raise our national debt by $500 billion dollars?
Answer: None. During Trumps first year in office Obama's budget was in place, and Trump did not have the time/ability to add money to the debt. Trump inherited the national debt growth that happened during his first year in office (and Obama inherited national debt growth in a similar way.)

Nothing, he cut the executive branch budget and isn't taking a salary but without a budget he has no spending authority just the ability to cut his own budget which he did. the 2019 budget had actual spending cuts in it by cutting department budgets, Congress hasn't approved it. Debt service and entitlement spending constituted most of the deficits for 2018 and interest rate hikes are to blame for the debt service

What policies did Obama enact to cause our national debt to rise by $9.3 trillion dollars?

Policies that didn't increase employment thus new taxpayers and policies that didn't promote economic growth and activity which cost other line item revenues

Obama added $2.7 trillion dollars to our national debt from 2013-2022 by extending 82% of the Bush tax cuts. And from 2013-2017 Obama added about $1.9 trillion to our debt by extending the Bush tax cuts.

What other policies did Obama enact to add the remaining $7.1 trillion dollars to our national debt?

Already answered, poor economic growth policies, poor stimulus program, economic malaise, debt when Obama took office 10.6 trillion and when he left 19.9 trillion, looks like 9.3 trillion to me and anyone with any math skills.

Interesting how you and the rest of the left want to divert from the Trump results to defend the Obama failures.

You are the one who is diverting.

You said "the debt for Obama was 9.3 TRILLION dollars."
Then I asked you, "what policies did Obama enact to cause our national debt to rise by $9.3 trillion dollars?"

But since you are unable to answer the above question you are diverting and changing the subject.

Then I asked you, "what policies did Obama enact to cause our national debt to rise by $9.3 trillion dollars?"

But since you are unable to answer the above question you are diverting and changing the subject.

The entire Obama administration policies were anti growth and the results are what we got. You want the policies, you need to look no further to the fact that the stimulus was a failure, employment went from 142 down to 138 by the end of 2009 and then 139 million in 2010 so those were lost taxpayers. Jobs that were created were part time jobs for economic reasons meaning paying part time taxes collected vs. full time taxes collected

Like it or not those are the Obama results, 10.6 trillion to 19.9 trillion, lack of leadership, lack of positive pro growth economic policies, expansion of EPA rules and regulations, ACA taxes on businesses, want me to go on

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/368904-economists-agree-trump-not-obama-gets-credit-for-economy

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/economic-boom-trump-obama/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimpow...-anti-economic-growth-president/#16f1835a48a3

Debt service and entitlement spending constituted most of the deficits for 2018 and interest rate hikes are to blame for the debt service

Over 75% of the deficits for 2018 were caused by the Iraq/Afghanistan wars and the Bush tax cuts.
https://www.cbpp.org/research/econo...ush-policies-continue-to-drive-large-deficits

Policies that didn't increase employment thus new taxpayers and policies that didn't promote economic growth and activity which cost other line item revenues

Already answered, poor economic growth policies, poor stimulus program, economic malaise, debt when Obama took office 10.6 trillion and when he left 19.9 trillion, looks like 9.3 trillion to me and anyone with any math skills.

Please list the above Obama policies, and I will add those policies to the list bellow.

Obama added $2.7 trillion dollars to our national debt from 2013-2022 by extending 82% of the Bush tax cuts. And from 2013-2017 Obama added about $1.6 trillion to our debt by extending the Bush tax cuts.

Obama added $831 billion dollars to our national debt with his 2009 stimulus.

I can't wait to see what i get back this year.
It is going to be fun and honestly we could use the money for some things to fix the house up.

will spend some to pay off some credit card bills i am sure.

chad;1069631911]Over 75% of the deficits for 2018 were caused by the Iraq/Afghanistan wars and the Bush tax cuts.

Please stop with the leftwing rhetoric and bull****, the Iraq Wars were paid for during each fiscal year regardless of what you claim. Further tax cuts aren't an expense and tax cuts grew the economy thus FIT revenue when fully implemented. Not sure why you buy the left wing spin but it is making you look foolish.

Please list the above Obama policies, and I will add those policies to the list bellow.

You really don't understand the private sector either do you? Start your own business and find out what motivates you, more regulations, higher taxes, penalties for success.

You can try to re-write or justify history but you cannot change it. I am saddened to see how easily it is to indoctrinate people on the left wing ideology where the govt. needs the money more than the tax payers who earned it in the first place. You really have bought into the need for a massive central govt. totally and completely ignoring history and what our Founders created, a small central govt. with part time legislature.

Keep ignoring state and local responsibilities believing that a bureaucrat in D.C. with no term limits is going to meed the social demands in your community where you have leader who you have access to. there is a reason that tax cuts benefit the country and the last year is an example, GDP growth +1.2 trillion dollars, Consumer spending setting records that resonate in coffers of the state and local governments through sales tax revenue and property tax revenues. Charitable giving has also set records so with all that money going to the states why can't they take on their own social responsibilities?

The entire Obama administration policies were anti growth and the results are what we got. You want the policies, you need to look no further to the fact that the stimulus was a failure, employment went from 142 down to 138 by the end of 2009 and then 139 million in 2010 so those were lost taxpayers. Jobs that were created were part time jobs for economic reasons meaning paying part time taxes collected vs. full time taxes collected

Like it or not those are the Obama results, 10.6 trillion to 19.9 trillion, lack of leadership, lack of positive pro growth economic policies, expansion of EPA rules and regulations, ACA taxes on businesses, want me to go on

You listed the following three sources to show how Obama added $9.3 trillion to our debt, but none of your sources mention deficits or debt.

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/368904-economists-agree-trump-not-obama-gets-credit-for-economy

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimpow...-anti-economic-growth-president/#16f1835a48a3

Your above sources talk about Trump growing the economy, raising wages, and raising GDP. And you would argue those events will raise tax revenues and lower our deficits and debt.

But tax revenues have fallen by 0.4% since Trump became president.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-09-14/tax-cuts-are-costing-the-u-s-treasury-money

What policies did Obama enact to raise our national debt by $9.3 trillion dollars?

Last edited:
You listed the following three sources to show how Obama added $9.3 trillion to our debt, but none of your sources mention deficits or debt.

Your above sources talk about Trump growing the economy, raising wages, and raising GDP. And you would argue those events will raise tax revenues and lower our deficits and debt.

But tax revenues have fallen by 0.4% since Trump became president.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-09-14/tax-cuts-are-costing-the-u-s-treasury-money

What policies did Obama enact to raise our national debt by $9.3 trillion dollars?

I suggest you learn how to do research before posting the left wing bull**** as it will help regain the credibility you are losing by posting leftwing crap. Treasury.org will provide you the data and NO revenue isn't down because of the tax cuts, revenue is UP!!

I suggest you learn how to do research before posting the left wing bull**** as it will help regain the credibility you are losing by posting leftwing crap. Treasury.org will provide you the data and NO revenue isn't down because of the tax cuts, revenue is UP!!

According to the National Review, "The Trump tax cuts are estimated to have reduced federal revenues by roughly $230 billion already, and by $2.3 trillion over ten years."

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018...growing-big-spending-fiscal-irresponsibility/

Some how he has it in his head that the incoming President takes over the Budget and debt on the day he takes office and he doesn't they Take over the Budget and debt on Oct first of the year he takes office.
on Oct 1 of 2009 the day Obama took over the Budget and debt the debt was 11,909,828,003,511.75
and when Trump took over the Budget and debt it was 20,244,900,016,053.51
So Obama ran the debt up 8,324,380,851,734.09 Trillion dollars NOT the 9 plus Trillion he says
all info came from the US Treasury website
Have a nice day and good luck with him

According to the National Review, "The Trump tax cuts are estimated to have reduced federal revenues by roughly $230 billion already, and by $2.3 trillion over ten years."

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018...growing-big-spending-fiscal-irresponsibility/

Then you better call Treasury and tell them their numbers are wrong? Is it normal for some outside agency to tell your bank what your bank statement looks like? Why would Treasury lie with their data? By the way this was a July 25 article

Through the third qtr 2018 Federal tax revenue was projected to be at 3755.2 annual or down 32 billion dollars from 2017 and that is without the record fourth qtr numbers including the job growth

BEA.gov

Last edited:
I don't think anyone said they were ONLY for the rich. The only thing that was said that vast majority of the benefit goes to the rich. You were given some cuts too for sure, to keep you voting right... but the main benefit of course goes to families like Trumps. .

This may shock you, but I'm sure that Microsoft corporation pays more taxes than you do.

This may shock you, but I'm sure that Microsoft corporation pays more taxes than you do.

This may shock you but my tax rate is higher than Microsoft's.

Then you better call Treasury and tell them their numbers are wrong? Is it normal for some outside agency to tell your bank what your bank statement looks like? Why would Treasury lie with their data? By the way this was a July 25 article

Through the third qtr 2018 Federal tax revenue was projected to be at 3755.2 annual or down 32 billion dollars from 2017 and that is without the record fourth qtr numbers including the job growth

BEA.gov

Tax revenues by year,

FY 2019 - $3.42 trillion. (.08 increase)
FY 2018 - $3.34 trillion. (.02 increase)
FY 2017 - $3.32 trillion. (.05 increase)
FY 2016 - $3.27 trillion. (.02 increase)
FY 2015 - $3.25 trillion. (.24 increase)
FY 2014 - $3.02 trillion. (.25 increase)
FY 2013 - $2.77 trillion. (.32 increase)
FY 2012 - $2.45 trillion. (.15 increase)
FY 2011 - $2.30 trillion. (.14 increase)
FY 2010 - $2.16 trillion. (.06 increase)
FY 2009 - $2.10 trillion. (.42 decrease)
FY 2008 - $2.52 trillion. (.05 decrease)
FY 2007 - $2.57 trillion.

https://www.thebalance.com/current-u-s-federal-government-tax-revenue-3305762

Job creation rankings by president,

#1 Bill Clinton
#3 Ronald Reagan
#4 Jimmy Carter
#6 Barack Obama
#13 Donald Trump

https://www.thebalance.com/job-creation-by-president-by-number-and-percent-3863218

Let me know when the so-called Trump debt gets to the 9.3 trillion that Obama generated?
I think you're referring to the Debt Bush generated as the deficits in Obama's first term were generated by the wars in Iraq and Afganistan, the Bush Tax cuts, and the recession itself. All of which began under Bush and ended under Obama. Once Obama fixed all of Bush's messes he reduced the deficit each of the last four years of his Presidency.

Back
Top Bottom