• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are the republicans voting against syria for the right reasons?

Is it okay to vote against syria just to vote against something obama wants?

• Yes

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 17 65.4%

• Total voters

99percenter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I oppose the syrian war and i hope it gets voted down, but i fear that that some republicans might be voting against it just because they don't want to give obama any sort of political victory. I believe some of republicans like ron paul truly do oppose the war, but there are quite a few republicans who supported iraq and will vote against syria. what do you guys think?

Probably a mixed bag. Some will vote against due to sincerely held doubts about the opposition, some will vote no as a way to undermine Obama's credibility and some are undoubtedly fearing the backlash of the currently negative public opinion of the prospect of intervening.

Probably a mixed bag. Some will vote against due to sincerely held doubts about the opposition, some will vote no as a way to undermine Obama's credibility and some are undoubtedly fearing the backlash of the currently negative public opinion of the prospect of intervening.

I'll save my judgment until after the vote.

There are some stated from each party on each side of the issue, but the vast majority are still undecided/undeclared per CNN and that is in each chamber.

In my opinion, there is no reason that is considered the wrong reason. Maybe the Republicans believe if they allow Obama to feel as if he is in good standing with Congress he will try to get away with more things than he has already.

I personally oppose it for the same reasons I opposed the actions in Iraq and Afghanistan. They aren't real wars, and we haven't been attacked by the military forces of a sovereign nation. I don't support nation-building and interfering in other sovereign nations' affairs with military force.

I oppose the syrian war and i hope it gets voted down, but i fear that that some republicans might be voting against it just because they don't want to give obama any sort of political victory. I believe some of republicans like ron paul truly do oppose the war, but there are quite a few republicans who supported iraq and will vote against syria. what do you guys think?

IF the republicans are voting against Obama it is because he is trying to the pass something they do not want.Just like when the democrats opposed bush on things they didn't want. People do not elect one party over another because they want them siding together almost on every issue.

Iraq and Syria are two different situations. Saddam used chemical weapons not once,not twice but around 15-20 times.Saddam also killed a million of his own citizens. Saddam made everyone think he still had WMDs. Politicians on both sides of the isle way before Bush was even in office have said Saddam has WMDs. 9-11 happened shortly before the Iraq war and people did not want some other middle eastern country striking us.

The left really shows their complete lack of knowledge on the realities of the world with this one. I am guessing this extremist partisan hack is suffering form the cure of "bush did it i-tus". Meaning he can't cry about the Republican congress in bush did it terms so it must be some other nepharious reality. Time to make up a new syndrome because being responsible for their own incompetence and failure just isn't an option.

"The right reason" to vote against something is because you think a vote against something is the right thing to do. You do not get to label reasons right or wrong when it comes to opinion.

I oppose likewise, but why do you fear - or even care - that some Republicans might be doing the right thing for all wrong reasons? In politics, that is the best you can get, most of the time.

Having voted "for Iraq" and preparing to vote "against Syria" also may have explanations different from partisan rancor. Saddam had a history of international aggression; Saddam perpetually made threatening noises toward the West and Israel; Saddam was killing and torturing fellow Iraqis in high-throughput manner (in the absence of a civil war) - and, most importantly, the delusions regarding nation-building and, eh, "assisted democratization" still had be decisively exposed as such.

There's a small - but not so small anymore - group of vocal Republicans who oppose operations of this sort on a mix of libertarian and paleoconservative reasoning: Rand Paul, Mike Lee, Justin Amash, Thomas Massie, et al. They are a pretty consistent bunch, and I don't see any special reasons to doubt their authenticity as war skeptics.

As for the rest of the crowd (including nearly all Democrats), I honestly haven't observed much consistency in their thinking or actions in the last couple of decades. Who knows what drives them? A mix of partisanship, self-interest and some haphazardly shaped convictions, in most cases, I guess.

Last edited:

maybe their thoughts have "evolved"

You do know that this thread reeks of hypocrisy about "politicizing war", right?

Perhaps the wrong reasons could still provide the right outcome. Certainly some (R) will vote against Obama for anything, other will vote against because of voter pressure... I'm sure there's thousands of reasons to say no.

Or maybe its just a different president.

it was the different president who said his thoughts on gay marriage "evolved".......i guess thats acceptable for that side of aisle

There is a reason they are known as the "party of NO". The reality is, if the President had an R behind his name they would be whooping up they way the always do. This is just another in the Party of No's oppose everything and anything that Obama wants, they are so predictable.

For the record...I don't support it any more than I would support it if the President were Republican. We don't belong in Syria any more than we belonged in Iraq. We are not the police of the world.

it was the different president who said his thoughts on gay marriage "evolved".......i guess thats acceptable for that side of aisle

Well compared to the other guy that evolved on abortion, gay marraige, health care, taxes, and almost any other issue you can think of, that doesn't sound too bad.

I don't care why the GOP is blocking Kerry-Obama. THe war is a dumb idea. Chalk up a victory for all the wrong reasons.

There is a reason they are known as the "party of NO". The reality is, if the President had an R behind his name they would be whooping up they way the always do. This is just another in the Party of No's oppose everything and anything that Obama wants, they are so predictable.

No more predictable than all the anti-war Bush impeachment crowd post 2003, who are now banging the war machine drum for (D) Obama 10 years later. The hypocrisy is so deep America needs hip waders.

No more predictable than all the anti-war Bush impeachment crowd post 2003, who are now banging the war machine drum for (D) Obama 10 years later. The hypocrisy is so deep America needs hip waders.

Who are you talking about? I don't see many liberals banging the war machine drum. Care to point out what the hell you are talking about? I agree that if there are, they are just as hypocritical as the party of No.

Who are you talking about? I don't see many liberals banging the war machine drum. Care to point out what the hell you are talking about? I agree that if there are, they are just as hypocritical as the party of No.
I have heard a number of liberals say they might support an attack because they support Obama. How is that any different than opposing an attack because you oppose Obama?

The entire WH including Kerry have been whipping up support all week. "Someone" even provided CNN with "exclusive" video (that's what CNN was calling it yesterday) of suffering Syrian's dying of what apparently was a Sarin gas as an overt appeal to emotion to sway American attitudes towards military action.

If I provide links - would it really matter since you also can Google... Denis McDonough will be on the Sunday talk shows today, Obama will be on all 6 major Cable and Broadcast news stations tomorrow arguing for Syrian strikes. Feinstein putting together those same 18 videos of suffering to support military action in support of it as well. I'm not saying all Democrats... but the entire WH, and more than a few in the Senate = many to me. My own Senator who votes 97% with the Democratic party is in favor as well.

Well compared to the other guy that evolved on abortion, gay marraige, health care, taxes, and almost any other issue you can think of, that doesn't sound too bad.

my original post was sarcasm......but it just perturbs you that many republicans are opposing military action because they are just people who like everybody else can have diffferent views on different subjects under different circumstances and dont fit some kind of mold that you have defined for yourself...or the media defined for you.......

I don't think you can homogenize 'the rignt' on this issue at all.

You have hawks, doves, the war weary, maverics, partisans and ideologues.

There are many on the right who support military action here, and many who do not. I think its very unfair and inaccurate to characterize the opposition on the right to be mostly partisan. It is not. There are a lot of people who are non interventionist in the first place on the right (many libertarians for example) as well as many who are burned after supporting the action we took in Iraq, and who are not willing to go down that path another time. I fit in both those molds more firmly than just being 'against Obama'.

Of course built into it is the opposition of one party to another.

But that is hardly something unique to the right.

I am against it for the RIGHT reasons but conservatives must be against it for the WRONG reasons.

Thats just so ****ing goofy.

Hey...heres a better question...all those democrats that are FOR the war effort just because they dont want Obama to look bad...what does that make THEM?

Back
Top Bottom