• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are the Media Gaslighting the USA?

Captain Adverse

Classical Liberal Sage
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Let's first define the term:

Gaslighting, an elaborate and insidious technique of deception and psychological manipulation, usually practiced by a single deceiver, or “gaslighter,” on a single victim over an extended period. Its effect is to gradually undermine the victim’s confidence in his own ability to distinguish truth from falsehood, right from wrong, or reality from appearance, thereby rendering him pathologically dependent on the gaslighter in his thinking or feelings.
https://www.britannica.com/topic/gaslighting

That is the basic definition when applied to a specific case. I suggest that this applies to our entire society when practiced by the class of political and wealthy elite insiders known colloquially as "The Swamp" who control the Main Stream Media, Big Tech, and government agencies. Especially when acting in conjunction to persuade the general population that down is up, and vice versa.

For example, here are a couple of interesting articles on the subject:

Currently we are being "gaslighted" by the MSM, which has "called" the election for Joe Biden. This despite the fact that there have been challenges in six or seven States regarding the voting results...AND that as of today (11/11/20) NONE of the results have been certified.

Ladies and gentlemen, the MSM does not decide who wins. NO, that is done by election rules and starts only after each State's voting tallies have been certified. Even then, it remains for the Electoral College to actually VOTE. BTW, anyone recall all those efforts back in 2016 to encourage unfaithful electors?

Moreover, doesn't anyone also recall that in 2000 Al Gore (whom I voted for) did not concede the election until 12/13/2000? That was with only one state in question. Currently we have issues with six or seven State results.

Or that several Democrat leaders "advised" Mr. Biden prior to this election NOT to concede (some stating under any circumstances) if the vote went Trump's way?

Yet now we are being told in no uncertain terms that Joe Biden has won this election, and that anyone who disagrees is either blinded by partisanship, or just "a crazy person."

The MSM is not telling us the truth. They haven't been doing so for years. The fact that so many people have bought into the never-ending gaslighting efforts appalls me.

My own support of President Trump came slowly over time back in 2016, as I personally reviewed the MSM allegations of racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, etc.. Simply go back to that period in the Forum and you will find how I personally debunked 90% of those reports as misinformation/disinformation efforts.

This has not stopped since. Studies provided in the past have shown the MSM has lied, misrepresented, and otherwise been deceiving the general public more often and to greater effect than ever before. Just look to the examples of the Covington Kids, and more recently the assertion of "mostly peaceful protests." That last trying to conflate tiny, unreported gatherings in small towns as a balance to the massive violence occurring day and night in major cities around the nation.

Wake up to the truth folks, we are still being gaslighted on a major scale regarding this election. Why? IMO because if it turns out that Trump actually won, it would lead to such violence that our nation might never recover.

Last edited:
Wake up to the truth folks, we are still being gaslighted on a major scale regarding this election. Why? IMO because if it turns out that Trump actually won, it would lead to such violence that our nation might never recover.

^^
The guy who wanted to defend Trump's response to the protests, so he claimed that photos and videos of law enforcement slashing tires was not "evidence" of law enforcement slashing tires.

:rolleyes:

At any rate, he has once again proven that a Trumpist's every accusation is an admission. He gaslights, pretending to decry gaslighting. The vile pig-bastard worshipped by CA has lost. But he's been dutifully been telling us for months that if Trump loses, it's because of fraud. So he does as he's much, and in the face of no evidence, in the face of 13 lawsuits being straight up dismissed - that means that even if everything in the complaints were true, they still do not state a claim for relief - he's going to tell us that really, Trump won. Invisible fraud he can't prove stole the election from him.

He wants to be believed saying the exact thing he spent months telling us he was going to say, despite the lack of evidence.

The deplorables don't believe, so there's no gaslighting. To have gaslighting, you need someone to believe.

The election was rigged, democrats do what they want, you can't win.

Your vote doesn't matter. Voting is a waste of time. Voting is for suckers.

I'll be surprised if half of the deplorables show up to vote next election.

The deplorables don't believe, so there's no gaslighting. To have gaslighting, you need someone to believe.

The election was rigged, democrats do what they want, you can't win.

Your vote doesn't matter. Voting is a waste of time. Voting is for suckers.

I'll be surprised if half of the deplorables show up to vote next election.

Actually, the gaslighting IS working...because YOU believe it.

As exemplified by your attempt to dismiss via ad hominem sarcastic ridicule the points in the OP.

Actually, the gaslighting IS working...because YOU believe it.

As exemplified by your attempt to dismiss via ad hominem sarcastic ridicule the points in the OP.

I believe it because it's true.

You are being gas lit by Rush, Savage, Levine or however else is gas lighting you.

Yes, the media is gaslighting...aka, blowing smoke up our asses.

But they aren't the only ones. So are government officials.

Here is an example of individual gaslighting:

That is the basic definition when applied to a specific case. I suggest that this applies to our entire society when practiced by the class of political and wealthy elite insiders known colloquially as "The Swamp" who control the Main Stream Media, Big Tech, and government agencies. Especially when acting in conjunction to persuade the general population that down is up, and vice versa.

Currently we are being "gaslighted" by the MSM, which has "called" the election for Joe Biden. This despite the fact that there have been challenges in six or seven States regarding the voting results...AND that as of today (11/11/20) NONE of the results have been certified.

Ladies and gentlemen, the MSM does not decide who wins. NO, that is done by election rules and starts only after each State's voting tallies have been certified. Even then, it remains for the Electoral College to actually VOTE. BTW, anyone recall all those efforts back in 2016 to encourage unfaithful electors?

Moreover, doesn't anyone also recall that in 2000 Al Gore (whom I voted for) did not concede the election until 12/13/2000? That was with only one state in question. Currently we have issues with six or seven State results.

Or that several Democrat leaders "advised" Mr. Biden prior to this election NOT to concede (some stating under any circumstances) if the vote went Trump's way?

Yet now we are being told in no uncertain terms that Joe Biden has won this election, and that anyone who disagrees is either blinded by partisanship, or just "a crazy person."

The MSM is not telling us the truth. They haven't been doing so for years. The fact that so many people have bought into the never-ending gaslighting efforts appalls me.

My own support of President Trump came slowly over time back in 2016, as I personally reviewed the MSM allegations of racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, etc.. Simply go back to that period in the Forum and you will find how I personally debunked 90% of those reports as misinformation/disinformation efforts.

This has not stopped since. Studies provided in the past have shown the MSM has lied, misrepresented, and otherwise been deceiving the general public more often and to greater effect than ever before. Just look to the examples of the Covington Kids, and more recently the assertion of "mostly peaceful protests." That last trying to conflate tiny, unreported gatherings in small towns as a balance to the massive violence occurring day and night in major cities around the nation.

forceirony.JPG

Twitter decides who wins.

You don't understand what a president-elect is. A president-elect doesn't have to be certified by electors, nor does the opponent need to concede for the winner to be the president-elect. If the counted votes mathematically and conclusively confirm that a candidate won, then he is the president-elect regardless of any legal challenges, certifications, or even whether the vote has been finished counting. Biden is not the president of the United States. He is, however, the president-elect because there is no possible way Trump can win at this point even if every single outstanding vote was cast for him, and even if he mounts a legal challenge in every single state he lost. It is not mathematically possible. He is wasting his time, your tax dollars, and damaging the country by casting doubt on democracy itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President-elect_of_the_United_States

Last edited:

I think you're the one gaslighting, Cap'n... ;)

Trump promised to not accept the results of the election if he didn't win. He set the tone months ago. If he bitch routine is being met with steamrolling, that's why. The Democrats would know that any tomfoolery would be met with lawsuits, and heard by a supreme court that is a little stacked at the moment. What do you think their endgame is here, if they are coming from a place of fraud?

Occam's razor, my dude. Ya lost. Time to get over it...that's the advice you had for the liberals for the last four years. Are you going to follow it, or be as bad as you said they were?

YOU are doing the gaslighting. Not the MSM. You.

You gaslight us because you despise democracy and want trump to become an even stronger ruler.

Thank the founders, the PEOPLE stood up to your lies this time. :)

These days, you can't trust the GOP outside of a courtroom. What they say to judges is pretty different from what they say to the public.

But don't fret, since "everyone knows" there was a massive fraud, the overwhelming evidence is bound to show up any day now.

You don't understand what a president-elect is. A president-elect doesn't have to be certified by electors, nor does the opponent need to concede for the winner to be the president-elect. If the counted votes mathematically and conclusively confirm that a candidate won, then he is the president-elect regardless of any legal challenges, certifications, or even whether the vote has been finished counting. Biden is not the president of the United States. He is, however, the president-elect because there is no possible way Trump can win at this point even if every single outstanding vote was cast for him, and even if he mounts a legal challenge in every single state he lost. It is not mathematically possible. He is wasting his time, your tax dollars, and damaging the country by casting doubt on democracy itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President-elect_of_the_United_States
What if illegal votes that were already counted get discounted?

I believe it because it's true.

You are being gas lit by Rush, Savage, Levine or however else is gas lighting you.

IMO you believe it is true because it supports your confirmation bias. 🤷‍♂️

NOTE: For the record I am not saying Trump HAS won, nor that Biden lost.

The issue is gaslighting the results, which seeks to undermine confidence on one side while bolstering that of the other.

Deflection.

You don't understand what a president-elect is. A president-elect doesn't have to be certified by electors, nor does the opponent need to concede for the winner to be the president elect. If the election mathematically and conclusively confirms that a candidate won, then he is the president-elect regardless of any legal challenges, certifications, or even if the vote has not been finished counting. Biden is not the president of the United States. He is, however, the president-elect because there is no possible way Trump can win at this point even if every single outstanding vote was cast for him, and even if he mounts a legal challenge in every single state he lost. It is not mathematically possible. He is wasting his time, your tax dollars, and damaging the country by casting doubt on democracy itself.

Non-sequitur. Attempt at deflection.

No one is discussing what a "President-elect" is, although a discussion might be had about "calling one" when the results are not fully confirmed.

This is about gaslighting, which is explained in the OP.

I think you're the one gaslighting, Cap'n... ;)

Trump promised to not accept the results of the election if he didn't win. He set the tone months ago. If he bitch routine is being met with steamrolling, that's why. The Democrats would know that any tomfoolery would be met with lawsuits, and heard by a supreme court that is a little stacked at the moment. What do you think their endgame is here, if they are coming from a place of fraud?

Occam's razor, my dude. Ya lost. Time to get over it...that's the advice you had for the liberals for the last four years. Are you going to follow it, or be as bad as you said they were?

There you go. Not only by misciting "Occams razor" when all the facts are not only NOT "in," they remain in grave doubt.

But also by deflecting from the issue to an attempt to discuss the candidates "pre-election tone."

The point of the OP is that the MSM and Social Media are seeking to convince people to "lay down and accept what we've declared." This despite the fact the results STILL remain in question.

"Gaslighting, an elaborate and insidious technique of deception and psychological manipulation, usually practiced by a single deceiver, or “gaslighter,” on a single victim over an extended period. Its effect is to gradually undermine the victim’s confidence in his own ability to distinguish truth from falsehood, right from wrong, or reality from appearance, thereby rendering him pathologically dependent on the gaslighter in his thinking or feelings."

Perfectly describes what trump has done to the conservatives, but then again they are not smart enough to know that the shoe fits them as if custom made. The proof of that is this thread itself, you just can't make this stuff up folks....

What if illegal votes that were already counted get discounted?

Think of the savings! 😀

Anything is possible, but to get there, they'll have to show judges more than they have so far.

^^
The guy who wanted to defend Trump's response to the protests, so he claimed that photos and videos of law enforcement slashing tires was not "evidence" of law enforcement slashing tires.

:rolleyes:

At any rate, he has once again proven that a Trumpist's every accusation is an admission. He gaslights, pretending to decry gaslighting. The vile pig-bastard worshipped by CA has lost. But he's been dutifully been telling us for months that if Trump loses, it's because of fraud. So he does as he's much, and in the face of no evidence, in the face of 13 lawsuits being straight up dismissed - that means that even if everything in the complaints were true, they still do not state a claim for relief - he's going to tell us that really, Trump won. Invisible fraud he can't prove stole the election from him.

He wants to be believed saying the exact thing he spent months telling us he was going to say, despite the lack of evidence.
Pathetic loyalists for sure, no doubt in anyone's mind that the Trump Party Cult is alive and well (physically, not mentally).

There you go. Not only by misciting "Occams razor" when all the facts are not only NOT "in," they remain in grave doubt.

But also by deflecting from the issue to an attempt to discuss the candidates "pre-election tone."

The point of the OP is that the MSM and Social Media are seeking to convince people to "lay down and accept what we've declared." This despite the fact the results STILL remain in question.

They're only being questioned by people who buy Trump's bullshit, though. What's happening is exactly what Trump promised would happen. It was a self fulfilling prophesy, and frankly, given my respect for you, I can't believe you're falling for it. I honestly, sincerely, thought you'd be the voice of reason among the rabid on this forum. The one who reminded your side how silly the people screaming at the sky looked in 2016. Apparently you're opted to join the choir instead. I'm hoping time will reveal that this was only a temporary insanity. The GOP needs to reform, to redeem itself after this embarrassment, and they need their smart members, like you, to be a part of that. It's that or obsolescence, Cap'n. After what the GOP has done for the last four years, no one's holding the door open. You need to put Trump in the rear view as quick as possible, if you ever hope to enjoy power again.

Move on, regroup, figure out how to be representative of the Americans whose votes you want to secure, and get some classiness back. That's the only way forward. There was always going to be a price to pay for electing an asshole. I hate to say I told you so, but I indeed, 100%, in numerous discussions with you, absolutely told you so.

They're only being questioned by people who buy Trump's bullshit, though. What's happening is exactly what Trump promised would happen. It was a self fulfilling prophesy, and frankly, given my respect for you, I can't believe you're falling for it. I honestly, sincerely, thought you'd be the voice of reason among the rabid on this forum. The one who reminded your side how silly the people screaming at the sky looked in 2016. Apparently you're opted to join the choir instead. I'm hoping time will reveal that this was only a temporary insanity. The GOP needs to reform, to redeem itself after this embarrassment, and they need their smart members, like you, to be a part of that. It's that or obsolescence, Cap'n. After what the GOP has done for the last four years, no one's holding the door open. You need to put Trump in the rear view as quick as possible, if you ever hope to enjoy power again.

Move on, regroup, figure out how to be representative of the Americans whose votes you want to secure, and get some classiness back. That's the only way forward. There was always going to be a price to pay for electing an asshole. I hate to say I told you so, but I indeed, 100%, in numerous discussions with you, absolutely told you so.

(Sigh) Now it's all about me, and not the OP?

Out of mutual respect, I'll humor you briefly and point to this post:

and this one:

However, that has nothing to do with the OP.

In fact, as more and more information comes to light it may well result in either confirming Biden, or showing that Trump actually won.

My point is not to argue Trump DID win.

No, the OP is about Media gaslighting the public to convince us he already lost, and just accept it without further ado.

That there is "nothing to see here." Good defeated "evil."

Last edited:
IMO you believe it is true because it supports your confirmation bias. 🤷‍♂️

NOTE: For the record I am not saying Trump HAS won, nor that Biden lost.

Not even going to read the rest of your bullshit.

You people are showing the worst inability I have ever seen to accept a clear and obvious electoral loss.

Biden is the President-elect. Do what you people screamed at us in 2016: GET OVER IT. :)

@Captain Adverse not deflection. You believe without evidence because the media that tells you what you want to hear told you so. Literally could not be more ironic.

The Media has long projected winners of the Presidential election based on vote counts. Many times they have the results Tuesday evening if not by Wednesday morning. It took longer this year because so many States were so close. Are they gaslighting because they've done something they've literally been doing for decades? Or is it gaslighting because they didn't announce the result you wanted?

Reactions: AJG
@Captain Adverse not deflection. You believe without evidence because the media that tells you what you want to hear told you so. Literally could not be more ironic.

Yes, "deflection."

You assert without evidence how I "believe." Despite being provided with examples in the OP, and the facts which show the election is NOT over yet. Sooo, ANOTHER deflection.

Try discussing the issue and not make it a "personal thing."

Otherwise? Tagline time. :coffee:

Last edited:
(Sigh) Now it's all about me, and not the OP?

Out of mutual respect, I'll humor you briefly and point to this post:

and this one:

However, that has nothing to do with the OP.

In fact, as more and more information comes to light it may well result in confirming Biden, but also showing Trump actually won.

My point is not to argue Trump DID win.

No, the OP is about gaslighting the public to convince us he already lost, and just accept it without further ado.

You only featured minimally in my post...sorry, that's my writing style, if I'm talking to you I'm talking to you. You asserted gaslighting, I am responding to that assertion...and yeah, I'm talking to you because I think you're incredibly important, in terms of being an intelligent conservative - something that is actually quite needed in America, and everywhere, as far as I'm concerned. Even my avatar speaks to my belief in balance.

In order to believe gaslighting is happening, you need to believe all of Trump's bullshit. If you believe that the Democrats and the media are acting too aggressively, you can only do so by ignoring Trump's efforts to invalidate and undermine the electoral process. I disagree that gaslighting is happening, because I don't participate in either of those conditions. If you need to strip away my conversational tone, to where that's all that's left, then do so.

Also...you don't need to prove to me that you're a good dude. I know.

Back
Top Bottom