• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are the Effects of Global Warming Really that Bad?

watsup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
“Short answer: Yes. Even a seemingly slight average temperature rise is enough to cause a dramatic transformation of our planet.

Five and a half degrees Fahrenheit. It may not sound like much—perhaps the difference between wearing a sweater and not wearing one on an early-spring day. But for the world in which we live—which climate experts project will be at least 5.7 degrees Fahrenheit warmer by 2100, relative to pre-industrial levels (1850–1900), should global emissions continue on their current path—this small rise will have grave consequences. These impacts are already becoming apparent for every ecosystem and living thing, including us.

Human influences are the number one cause of global warming, especially the carbon pollution we cause by burning fossil fuels and the pollution capture we prevent by destroying forests. The carbon dioxide, methane, soot, and other pollutants we release into the atmosphere act like a blanket, trapping the sun's heat and causing the planet to warm. Evidence shows that the 2010s were hotter than any other decade on record—and every decade since the 1960s has averaged hotter than the previous one. This warming is altering the earth's climate system, including its land, atmosphere, oceans, and ice, in far-reaching ways.

Higher temperatures are worsening many types of disasters, including storms, heat waves, floods, and droughts. A warmer climate creates an atmosphere that can collect, retain, and unleash more water, changing weather patterns in such a way that wet areas become wetter and dry areas drier.
The increasing number of droughts, intense storms, and floods we're seeing as our warming atmosphere holds—and then dumps—more moisture poses risks to public health and safety too. Prolonged dry spells mean more than just scorched lawns. Drought conditions jeopardize access to clean drinking water, fuel out-of-control wildfires, and result in dust storms, extreme heat events, and flash flooding in the States. Elsewhere around the world, lack of water is a leading cause of death and serious disease and is contributing to crop failure. At the opposite end of the spectrum, heavier rains cause streams, rivers, and lakes to overflow, which damages life and property, contaminates drinking water, creates hazardous-material spills, and promotes mold infestation and unhealthy air. A warmer, wetter world is also a boon for foodborne and waterborne illnesses and disease-carrying insects, such as mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks.

Higher death rates​

Dirtier air​

Higher wildlife extinction rates​

Higher sea levels​

More acidic oceans”​

And that’s just the beginning.

Climate change is going to happen regardless of what we do or don't do. Also it's not like man can't adapt to whatever happens. Early man actually lived though the trailing edge of the ice age and that's without all our modern convinces.

I, of course, do not know.

And the media allow only people who say "Yes."

The people who say "Maybe" are told to shut up.

Something like the COVID controversy in 2020.

I, of course, do not know.

And the media allow only people who say "Yes."

The people who say "Maybe" are told to shut up.

Something like the COVID controversy in 2020.
Good thing you didn't say maybe.

MAGA.

Climate change is going to happen regardless of what we do or don't do. Also it's not like man can't adapt to whatever happens. Early man actually lived though the trailing edge of the ice age and that's without all our modern convinces.

And here I thought that you were a conservative. Isn’t conservatism about taking responsibility for actions? If humans are the primary factor in the present global warming/climate change (and they are), then shouldn’t humans accept the RESPONSIBILITY of trying to stem it? Isn’t that the “conservative” way to respond?

“Short answer: Yes. Even a seemingly slight average temperature rise is enough to cause a dramatic transformation of our planet.

Five and a half degrees Fahrenheit. It may not sound like much—perhaps the difference between wearing a sweater and not wearing one on an early-spring day. But for the world in which we live—which climate experts project will be at least 5.7 degrees Fahrenheit warmer by 2100, relative to pre-industrial levels (1850–1900), should global emissions continue on their current path—this small rise will have grave consequences. These impacts are already becoming apparent for every ecosystem and living thing, including us.

Human influences are the number one cause of global warming, especially the carbon pollution we cause by burning fossil fuels and the pollution capture we prevent by destroying forests. The carbon dioxide, methane, soot, and other pollutants we release into the atmosphere act like a blanket, trapping the sun's heat and causing the planet to warm. Evidence shows that the 2010s were hotter than any other decade on record—and every decade since the 1960s has averaged hotter than the previous one. This warming is altering the earth's climate system, including its land, atmosphere, oceans, and ice, in far-reaching ways.

Higher temperatures are worsening many types of disasters, including storms, heat waves, floods, and droughts. A warmer climate creates an atmosphere that can collect, retain, and unleash more water, changing weather patterns in such a way that wet areas become wetter and dry areas drier.
The increasing number of droughts, intense storms, and floods we're seeing as our warming atmosphere holds—and then dumps—more moisture poses risks to public health and safety too. Prolonged dry spells mean more than just scorched lawns. Drought conditions jeopardize access to clean drinking water, fuel out-of-control wildfires, and result in dust storms, extreme heat events, and flash flooding in the States. Elsewhere around the world, lack of water is a leading cause of death and serious disease and is contributing to crop failure. At the opposite end of the spectrum, heavier rains cause streams, rivers, and lakes to overflow, which damages life and property, contaminates drinking water, creates hazardous-material spills, and promotes mold infestation and unhealthy air. A warmer, wetter world is also a boon for foodborne and waterborne illnesses and disease-carrying insects, such as mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks.

Higher death rates​

Dirtier air​

Higher sea levels​

More acidic oceans”​

Don't forget flooded desserts, arid croplands, subzero temps on the gulf coast...

And here I thought that you were a conservative. Isn’t conservatism about taking responsibility for actions? If humans are the primary factor in the present global warming/climate change (and they are), then shouldn’t humans accept the RESPONSIBILITY of trying to stem it? Isn’t that the “conservative” way to respond?
Why is maintaining the status quo a responsibility?

I don't believe climate change is man-made. It's been happening long before man ever showed up. That said; I choose to keep my environmental footprint small for economic reasons. Wasting resources is wasting money. Also I don't care how others behave, as long as they actually pay for the resources they use.

Climate change is going to happen regardless of what we do or don't do. Also it's not like man can't adapt to whatever happens.

Chuckle.

Why is maintaining the status quo a responsibility?

I explained that in my post. If we screw it up, it should be our responsibility to fix it. That's conservatism: taking responsibility.

I explained that in my post. If we screw it up, it should be our responsibility to fix it. That's conservatism: taking responsibility.
You didn’t explain why it should be “fixed.”

I don't believe climate change is man-made. It's been happening long before man ever showed up.

It doesn't matter what "you" believe. What matters is the research and data of climate scientists, and that clearly shows that it is the excess CO2 (above "natural") that has been spewed into the air since the dawn of the Industrial Revolution that is causing the PRESENT global warming and associated climate change. The climate is always changing, but this is the very first time that a single species on this planet is the primary cause. Should we not then take responsibility to fix what we have screwed up? That's a basic tenet of "conservatism".

I don't believe climate change is man-made. It's been happening long before man ever showed up. That said; I choose to keep my environmental footprint small for economic reasons. Wasting resources is wasting money. Also I don't care how others behave, as long as they actually pay for the resources they use.
Almost no one holds that view in science

It doesn't matter what "you" believe. What matters is the research and data of climate scientists, and that clearly shows that it is the excess CO2 (above "natural") that has been spewed into the air since the dawn of the Industrial Revolution that is causing the PRESENT global warming and associated climate change. The climate is always changing, but this is the very first time that a single species on this planet is the primary cause. Should we not then take responsibility to fix what we have screwed up? That's a basic tenet of "conservatism".
It doesn’t really. That is an assumption. Hypothermals in the late Paleocene and early Eocene resemble today’s climate change and are still without explanation.

It doesn’t really. That is an assumption. Hypothermals in the late Paleocene and early Eocene resemble today’s climate change and are still without explanation.
And clinate change today has an explanation

What I have are the hypothermals which occurred in the late Paleocene and early Eocene and no one has ruled out the possibility that this is just another hypothermal.
Let's see your evidence of that

Higher death rates​

Dirtier air​

Higher sea levels​

More acidic oceans”​

Someone's been lying to you; human activity is a relatively small contribution to climate change at this point. . A few percentage points at most. Oh, and deaths because of extreme heat are dwarfed by deaths caused by extreme cold, so a little warming is actually beneficial.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleocene–Eocene_Thermal_Maximum
Do you think these guys are aware of that?

Back
Top Bottom