• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are the Effects of Global Warming Really that Bad?

Someone's been lying to you; human activity is a relatively small contribution to climate change at this point. . A few percentage points at most. Oh, and deaths because of extreme heat are dwarfed by deaths caused by extreme cold, so a little warming is actually beneficial.
Not according to these guys

I don't believe climate change is man-made. It's been happening long before man ever showed up. That said; I choose to keep my environmental footprint small for economic reasons. Wasting resources is wasting money. Also I don't care how others behave, as long as they actually pay for the resources they use.

Just what they want you to believe.

America has a history of wealthy industrialist getting filthy rich, doing untold environmental damage and walking away to let the taxpayers foot the bill.

Fossil fuel industry wants to keep the gravy train running and the wealthy and those who profit from it certainly don't want to pay for cleaning up their mess.

Do you think these guys are aware of that?

I know you can’t rule out a natural explanation which has caused exactly what we’re seeing several times in Earth’s history. Pointing the finger at humans is an easy circumstantial explanation but that doesn’t make it the right one.

I know you can’t rule out a natural explanation which has caused exactly what we’re seeing several times in Earth’s history. Pointing the finger at humans is an easy circumstantial explanation but that doesn’t make it the right one.
That's not what I asked you

You offered a scientific opinion

I offered one by the most respected scientific agencies in the world

So answer the question

That's not what I asked you

You offered a scientific opinion

I offered one by the most respected scientific agencies in the world

So answer the question
What you offered was an opinion that doesn’t address the PETM. Ignoring it doesn’t make it go away.

Not according to these guys

Not arguing about warming, just pointing out it's not as drastic as scare mongers are claiming. Look at the graft in your link. It shows a gain of ! degree Celsius in over 60 years.

Not arguing about warming, just pointing out it's not as drastic as scare mongers are claiming. Look at the graft in your link. It shows a gain of ! degree Celsius in over 60 years.
Here are effects

What you offered was an opinion that doesn’t address the PETM. Ignoring it doesn’t make it go away.
My question to you remains unanswered.

Why?

I answered the question. They didn’t rule out the same unknown cause of hyperthermals.
Why not? Do you think you figured out something that never occurred to them?

The key thing is that climate and climate change occurs over spans of decades or more. And when data that documents temps, storms, hurricane intensities, and forest fires show very little increases over those time frames.

Here are effects

NOAA is a political as well as scientific organization. Biden spending billions on climate change wouldn't go over well is NOAA and NASA said "climate change is no big deal".

Ahhhhh. You think you know more about this than them.....right?
No, I’m pointing out simple facts. We’ve seen this before. These events have an unknown cause. The same cause as those events cannot be ruled out because no one knows what it is.

Climate change is going to happen regardless of what we do or don't do. Also it's not like man can't adapt to whatever happens. Early man actually lived though the trailing edge of the ice age and that's without all our modern convinces.
Yeah, but there weren’t eight billion of them with our complex societies. The human race might survive, but it’s good bet you and I and everyone we know personally won’t.

No, I’m pointing out simple facts. We’ve seen this before. These events have an unknown cause. The same cause as those events cannot be ruled out because no one knows what it is.
So why do all these great agencies disagree with you?

NOAA is a political as well as scientific organization. Biden spending billions on climate change wouldn't go over well is NOAA and NASA said "climate change is no big deal".
Yes yes.....everything is a conspiracy. Lol

It doesn’t really. That is an assumption. Hypothermals in the late Paleocene and early Eocene resemble today’s climate change and are still without explanation.

Doesn't matter. The explanation for the PRESENT global warming/climate change is the human-produced CO2 spewed into the atmosphere since the dawn of the Industrial Revolution.

Someone's been lying to you; human activity is a relatively small contribution to climate change at this point. . A few percentage points at most. Oh, and deaths because of extreme heat are dwarfed by deaths caused by extreme cold, so a little warming is actually beneficial.

Expand. That's not what the mainstream climate scientists say, so show me that they are wrong besides just claiming that they are. As far as deaths, as the Earth continues to get warmer, they will shift from cold exposure to heat-related. In fact, it's already happening.

It is the right one. Show otherwise if you can. I doubt that you'll even try.

I answered the question. They didn’t rule out the same unknown cause of hyperthermals.

Not true. Climate scientists agree that hyperthermals have happened in the past, but they do not ascribe the present global warming to that cause. Can you show otherwise? Of course not! You are just mindlessly parroting a talking point that you heard somewhere from the far right media.

The “great agencies” ignored the hyperthermal events.

Another lie. No one is "ignoring" them. But they are not the present cause of global warming. Climate scientists have ruled that out. Can you show otherwise? Or are you just blowing smoke again?

Back
Top Bottom