• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Are the cartoon protests being manipulated?

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I was looking through the BBC news web page when i found this interesting article.

Here are some edited snippets from the article, titled "Iran and Syria incite violence",

"Radical Danish imams made two visits to the Middle East in December and January to complain about the 12 cartoons to political and religious leaders." (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4694876.stm)

But the article goes on to say this,

"But one of the clerics, Ahmed Akari, told the BBC the imams carried three extra caricatures of Muhammad that were far more inflammatory than the original 12, and were believed to have been drawn by extremists as part of a hatemail campaign." (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4694876.stm)

Now even more interestingly the article suggests that elements of Iran and Syria's political elite may be stirring up the trouble.

On that same article there is a hyperlink to "Young Iranians give their views on the cartoon issue" [In pictures]

Now this got me thinking. I have seen many posts from many of the contributers on this web site, (from both liberals, conservatives, libertarians, etc) about how the vast majority of the Iranian youth are pro-western, and are very apathetic to wards the Iranian regime.

Now, surely most of us would agree that the Iranian leaders are probably worried about possible military action, by the U.S and NATO in response to their nuclear program.

So the question I pose to everyone on this site is this; are there elements in the Iranian regime, that are using this controversy to cynically increase their support amoungst the Iranian youth, in case of any of military action by the U.S and it's allies?

My answer is most probably.......

References: "Iran and Syria 'incite' violence", BBC World News web page, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4694876.stm, accessed 9.02.2006.

Absolutely. Syria and Iran have their fingerprints all over this story. It takes everyone's eye off of Iran's nuclear program that is the ultimate big story. If Iran ever gets the bomb (which looks more and more likely), and nukes Israel billions around the world will die in a nuclear holocaust. There has never been a more dangerous period in human history. This makes the Cold War look like a walk in the park. The difference is that the Soviets were rational people. The Mad Mullahs of Iran are bound and determined to set off WWIV. And everyone will be in the war to end all wars. By the time it is over with the war it might also end all of humanity. We'll be living out of caves before it runs its course. And the living will envy the dead.

Here's a couple of questions asked that explains all you need to know...

Where did all of those Danish flags come from?...Since when did the Danish flag become so readily available for burnings and protests?...

Ant chance that they were GIVEN out?...:2wave:

Hrrrm! Interesting perspective...

Although I should think the threat of M.A.D. would be enough to spook even Iran and co.

vergiss said:
Hrrrm! Interesting perspective...

Although I should think the threat of M.A.D. would be enough to spook even Iran and co.

Only if they were rational and didn't worship death. Even the Soviets were rational beings who valued their own lives. Sometimes I wax nostalgic for the bad old days of the Cold War. Seems they weren't so bad after all.

"We love death. Americans love life. This is the difference between us. ...
(Bin Laden)

vergiss said:

Only if their version of heaven begins to run out of virgins. The prospect of remaining here on earth might force them to think twice about the attractions of martyrdom.

oldreliable67 said:
Only if their version of heaven begins to run out of virgins. The prospect of remaining here on earth might force them to think twice about the attractions of martyrdom.

Unlikely. These maniacs are in love with death. Does anyone here stop to think about these "72 virgins" doctrine. If that isn't the most bizarre and psychotic thinking that one can have, I don't know what it is. And to think that 1.3 billion human beings embrace this "religion." Boggles the mind.

Have any of you seen this?

“Defending the prophet should continue worldwide,” Sheik Hassan Nasrallah, the leader of Hezbollah, told the crowd. “Let (U.S. Secretary of State) Condoleezza Rice, (President) Bush and all the tyrants shut up: We are a nation that can’t forgive, be silent or ease up when they insult our prophet and our sacred values.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11251690/

My response to this bonehead is STFU. I was proud of Rice and Bush telling them to essentially lighten up. Rice was more forthcoming in pointing out that Syria and Iran were exploiting the wrath from the cartoons. I agree.

It's a little strange agreeing with Bush and Rice. :shock:

aps said:

My response to this bonehead is STFU. I was proud of Rice and Bush telling them to essentially lighten up. Rice was more forthcoming in pointing out that Syria and Iran were exploiting the wrath from the cartoons. I agree.

I'm forwarding this to the DNC and your membership will be suspended...:2wave:

aps said:

It's more though then simply dealing with ppl manipulating the populice. It's that they are appealing to the ideologies of fanatics. Just like the fanatics anywhere (ie even on DP) you can never reason with them. Completely arrogant to rational that disagrees with them.
Ironically Aps, I too find it ammusing I'm agreeing with Bush and Rice on this one.

cnredd said:
I'm forwarding this to the DNC and your membership will be suspended...:2wave:

Would it surprise you if I told you I am not a member? Seriously.

:2wave: back at 'cha

Back
Top Bottom