• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are Seniors Lazy Parasites

Are seniors that use SS one of these...

• Terrorists

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Leftists

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Lazy

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Parasites

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
This is a horrible thing to say but Ima do it anyway.

When I am striken with a horrible illness that is mostly terminal, I'm just gonna go. I'll take a few pills and a little help from the hospital, but I'm not gonna do millions in chemo, surgery and hospital stays. I'm only 40, but I've made my choices (I smoke and drink) and I have been blessed beyond anything I could possibly deserve. An old person terrified of death is a sad thing in my book. There are children who starve at age 3 having never seen real food. 50,000 children die every day from lack of clean food and water. I've lived free and done what I wanted for a long time (all of my 40) and I just cannot see going in an economic scream. I don't understand blessed mature adults crying about million dollar treatments while children who've had nothing starve.

I don't wanna die. My days are wonderful and I want them to never end. But, by 40 or so at least, people should be comfortable with their lives. They should have their things settled, their friends made, their famly aware and their soul established. I do not get why some go out the way they came in, as if they never saw nothin'.

Reminded me of this article. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/opinion/sunday/10als.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

I would only add this: privatization without regulation is a bad idea. Big government is also not the answer.

I would say that this is one of the most on target posts about the economy that I have seen.

There is no good reason why those just entering the workforce should have to pay the elderly because they borrowed money from themseleves and spent it.

The whole idea was that people would put into the system and it would sit there and wait for them to retire. Unfortunately, the government raided social security and spent all the money that was supposed to be sitting there accumulating interest so now, there's no money left and there are far more people retiring than people in the system to replenish the supply.

None of it was ever invested. It was spent by governments elected by the elderly and mostly consumed by them. Why should current and future workers be forced to pay the elderly back for money they loaned to themselves and spent?

They are owed nothing. I am sure their grandchildren will do the right thing and take care of them the best they can. But they need to shut up with this entitlement bs. They are receiving welfare.

The last time I checked this is America and freedom of speech is guaranteed by the first amendment, it's people like you who think they can tell others to shut up that are the biggest threat to our country, who are you to tell anyone to shut up? My grand children will not need to take care of me, why? Because I worked all of my life and paid into SS, my two pensions, savings and SS will support me till I don't need it any longer, I hope the repubs,tea baggers and people that think like you put your fingers on my SS that will just about guarantee the end to the repubs and tea baggers

Privatization of SS, at some level, is inevitable.

I agree. But the problem is how do you pay the benefits for those currently drawing? Say you move 50% of social security tax into some kind of privatized system. Do you reduce the payout for all those currently drawing social security by 50%?

And of course, the majority of people aren't able to calculate the difference between social security and what they could have with private retirement + private disability insurance. I think the reason it's not more of an issue is it is, is the American people don't realize just how badly they're being screwed by the social security system.

It's really not a question of public versus private benefits, but more of how it works. A private company using the same model as social security would be equally screwed. But once you've established the system, how do you get out of it? A private company offering that kind of plan could go out of business. The government isn't so lucky.

Those statements negate the fact that, as of today, Medicare recipients enjoy costly treatment and unlimited buffet-style health care that is largely financed entirely by current working individuals.

The comments were not about the current Medicare program, they were in regards to your statement about the Congressional health care reform - "I don't understand the basis or justification behind a mandatory insurance plan run by an inefficient third party."

I showed the Republicans intent when they came up with the mandatory health insurance plan.

No one wants to make the hard choices to solve the problem; folks just want to band-aid it or pretend it doesn't exist. This is why I support drug/alcohol screens for folks on SS/Welfare/Medicare/Medicaid. If you have a drug/alcohol problem and you WANT help, I support the government supporting this kind of help, in a rehab that can actually do this. Not some 30 day detox. If they don't want help... that's fine, too. But if that's the case, they get NO SS/Welfare/Medicare/Medicaid. And, I do not support unlimited rehab visits, either. These folks are not the majority of people, not even close, but they are milking the system with issues that could be dealt with, if they choose. And if they do, I support government assistance. And if they don't they should get NONE.

I've presented this plan before and it is part of my overall plan to resolve the nation's health care issues and create more financial stability.

I think that makes a lot of sense! :sun

Well.. I don't know what to say there.. There is more than one site that quotes the $22 trillion and others that quote a much smaller amount.. Could be a typo.. Maybe it is supposed to be $2.2 trillion.. Who knows..

When Bush took office, he publicly stated there was 2.6 trilion surplus in the SS trust funds and that he was going to make sure the surplus was not used for anything else but SS, before he left office he publically stated the surplus was gone.

Your right SS was not a choice and good or bad I intend to get every cent plus interest back on my SS investment, please be a good conservative and try to eliminate or reduce SS so that the people can see what conservatives are all about, do it before 2012 so that we can vote all of your lot out of office

You don't know anything about conservatism, but you know how to be a parasite that's plainly clear.

You don't know anything about conservatism, but you know how to be a parasite that's plainly clear.

2012 GOP campaign message to seniors - "You don't know anything about conservatism, but you know how to be a parasite that's plainly clear."

Way to represent!!! :sun

Some are, some aren't. It has nothing to do with who paid into the Ponzi Scheme and is now collecting.

Some are, some aren't. It has nothing to do with who paid into the Ponzi Scheme and is now collecting.

What does Wall street have to do with this topic????

2012 GOP campaign message to seniors - "You don't know anything about conservatism, but you know how to be a parasite that's plainly clear."

Way to represent!!! :sun

Democratic campaign slogan, "Gimme all your money, you greedy bastards."

Way to represent.

The whole idea was that people would put into the system and it would sit there and wait for them to retire. Unfortunately, the government raided social security and spent all the money that was supposed to be sitting there accumulating interest so now, there's no money left and there are far more people retiring than people in the system to replenish the supply.

How is it that those who were either not born or not old enough to vote shoould be held responsible for the actions of politicians elected by the elderly, but the elderly should not be? That makes absolutely no sense. They elected those politicians.

Your idea is may be worse than spending it.

If it is just "sitting there" it will not earn interest. Fiat money is not a real resource. If you were to just collect it and put it in to an account then it would reduce the money supply available to the market and increase the purchasing power of current dollar holders. Once more started coming out it would increase the money supply and decrease the purshasing power of current dollar holders. It would have still been spent by past generations and created a huge burden on the workforce of 2017 and beyond.

The only way for it to produce real income would be to invest it in the market or in the debt of other nations. But that would come with risk and would lead to corruption and cronyism.

SS should be treated as what it is, a welfare program. But grandpa and grandma want to be able to call other welfare recipients names while they themselves live off of welfare. It's the "Keep Government out of Medicare" delusion. Everybody wants to pretend that their welfare is justified, just not any that goes to the poor, which is exactly why I took VanceMack to task for his absurd attacks.

The last time I checked this is America and freedom of speech is guaranteed by the first amendment, it's people like you who think they can tell others to shut up that are the biggest threat to our country, who are you to tell anyone to shut up? My grand children will not need to take care of me, why? Because I worked all of my life and paid into SS, my two pensions, savings and SS will support me till I don't need it any longer, I hope the repubs,tea baggers and people that think like you put your fingers on my SS that will just about guarantee the end to the repubs and tea baggers

Free speech gives me the right to criticize the idiotic speech of others including your delusions. I can tell you to "shut up" all I like. I am not free to force you in anyway and you are free to ignore me and to continue talking like an idiot.

Your SS will come out of your grandchildren. They will be forced to pay for your SS through income taxes as the Ponzi scheme starts to become top heavy in 2017.

And in your last few sentences you show why your generation is to blame. Your generation is responsible for the insolvency of SS and you stand in the way of doing anything to fix it now.

Like I said, I am sure the poor and elderly will be taken care of, but it is not because they are entitled to any thing. They are welfare recipients and nothing more.

Last edited:
Free speech gives me the right to criticize the idiotic speech of others including your delusions. I can tell you to "shut up" all I like. I am not free to force you in anyway and you are free to ignore me and to continue talking like an idiot.

Your SS will come out of your grandchildren. They will be forced to pay for your SS through income taxes as the Ponzi scheme starts to become top heavy in 2017.

And in your few sentences you show why you generation is to blame. Your generation is responsible for the insolvency of SS and you stand in the way of doing anything to fix it now.

Like I said, I am sure the poor and elderly will be taken care of, but it is not because they are entitled to any thing. They are welfare recipients and nothing more.

Know what Mr Nasty...YOUR GENERATION is responsible for bending over and letting the big guys RAPE YOU...and rape every single private sector worker...they stripped the private sector of pensions benefits and brainwashed legions of dip****s that they are your LIFE SUPPORT be thankful for the little they give you...and they brainwashed you that its all the public workers and greedy senior citizens fault....your pathetic...go find a mind of your own before you decide you have a right to insult everyone else that thinks your an idiot

FYI. Vance Mack's anecdotal evidence is pretty accurate. Is it the majority of folks who are on SS and Medicare? No. But the numbers are pretty significant. The problem with these folks is there is neither any motivation to come off, nor is their adequate treatment provided. When you have a heroin addict, sending them to rehab for 30 days is a failure in the making. Guess what? You'll end up sending them to rehab for 30 days 6 MORE times after a couple of ER visits for ODs... or after they spend time in jail for some sort of criminal activity. All at the taxpayers expense. No one wants to make the hard choices to solve the problem; folks just want to band-aid it or pretend it doesn't exist. This is why I support drug/alcohol screens for folks on SS/Welfare/Medicare/Medicaid. If you have a drug/alcohol problem and you WANT help, I support the government supporting this kind of help, in a rehab that can actually do this. Not some 30 day detox. If they don't want help... that's fine, too. But if that's the case, they get NO SS/Welfare/Medicare/Medicaid. And, I do not support unlimited rehab visits, either. These folks are not the majority of people, not even close, but they are milking the system with issues that could be dealt with, if they choose. And if they do, I support government assistance. And if they don't they should get NONE.

I've presented this plan before and it is part of my overall plan to resolve the nation's health care issues and create more financial stability.

This is a horrible idea and is much like what Hayek detailed in "The Road to Serfdom" as the sort of thinking that leads welfare and central economic planning towards authoritarian behavior.

When that does not work are we then going to insist that they prove they eat right? Many poor people suffer from vitamin deficiencies because they do not understand the value of a proper diet and use food as an indulgence, because it is the only one they can afford.

Then, if that does not work, maybe we can pry a little more and a little more until we have cameras in their homes making sure they are up on time, don't stay up too late, eat right, don't use drugs, feed their mind the "proper" sorts of entertainment, etc..

Either do away with it altogether or live with the realities of the system. If the government or anybody else is handing out money you can bet there will be some graft and abuse. That's human nature. We can go after the big fish who are doing it so carelessly that they are easy to catch, but at some point trying to squeeze out abuse will become fiscally or morally (assuming you ascribe to some theory of human rights) prohibitive.

This is what I do know, from the time I was old enough to pay into SS and for the next 45 years I paid a percentage of my pay check and my employer paid a matching percentage into SS the monies I paid in were paid in to be a supplement to my retirement, I am entitled to that money whether I need it to survive or not just like I am entitled to the two pensions I paid into and now collect. I worked for the benefits that I now collect no one including you gave me any thing, SS is not a hand out it's not your money, it's not the republicans or any other parties money, I am not going to get into an internet name calling contest with you, so as I stated go ahead put your fingers in SS I would love to see ther political results in 2012

This is a horrible idea and is much like what Hayek detailed in "The Road to Serfdom" as the sort of thinking that leads welfare and central economic planning towards authoritarian behavior.

When that does not work are we then going to insist that they prove they eat right? Many poor people suffer from vitamin deficiencies because they do not understand the value of a proper diet and use food as an indulgence, because it is the only one they can afford.

Then, if that does not work, maybe we can pry a little more and a little more until we have cameras in their homes making sure they are up on time, don't stay up too late, eat right, don't use drugs, feed their mind the "proper" sorts of entertainment, etc..

Either do away with it altogether or live with the realities of the system. If the government or anybody else is handing out money you can bet there will be some graft and abuse. That's human nature. We can go after the big fish who are doing it so carelessly that they are easy to catch, but at some point trying to squeeze out abuse will become fiscally or morally (assuming you ascribe to some theory of human rights) prohibitive.

Your last paragraph is proof you live in lala land ...the realities is every time the private sector gets a hold of our money the entire country gets screwed..I trust the govt alot more than I trust goldman sachs...

And in your last few sentences you show why your generation is to blame. Your generation is responsible for the insolvency of SS and you stand in the way of doing anything to fix it now.

Your entitled to your opinion, your way of expressing your opinion in this venue I find to be on the cowardly side, I was taught to talk to some one like I was looking them right in the eye. As I stated I want the repubs and their supporters to raid SS so that the voters can deal with them in 2012.

Our government bailed out Wall Street and now threaten to try to recover that money by stealing from our countries senior citizens, this is what I say GET the Money some where else, cut some where else, increase revenues by creating some jobs for AMERICANS. There are lots of ways to tackle the deficit that should be addressed before we allow any party to steal from our seniors or any other program

Know what Mr Nasty...YOUR GENERATION is responsible for bending over and letting the big guys RAPE YOU...and rape every single private sector worker...they stripped the private sector of pensions benefits and brainwashed legions of dip****s that they are your LIFE SUPPORT be thankful for the little they give you...and they brainwashed you that its all the public workers and greedy senior citizens fault....your pathetic...go find a mind of your own before you decide you have a right to insult everyone else that thinks your an idiot

Non-starter. You are being overly vague. Who are these "big guys" that you think I support?

Also, here you are whining that I am not nice to old welfare recipients. Kind of funny since I am the one arguing that we should not assume all welfare recipients are degenerate drug users or treat them as livestock that we have the right to test, prod and monitor without limit. The difference is that I am not feeding into the delusions of the "Keep the Government out of Medicare" idiots. Someone needs to abuse them of their entitlement mentality. They have not earned the enslavement of their grandchildren. If they persist, it is going to get ugly for them because it is going to get so bad that there will likely be a violent backlash. The current system is unsustainable.

...... A private company using the same model as social security would be equally screwed. But once you've established the system, how do you get out of it? A private company offering that kind of plan could go out of business. The government isn't so lucky.
You're correct, private businesses that sell retirement plans do go out of business. But, I'm sure that the government will step in a rescue who stupidly bought a retirement plan from a retirement company that they should have known would go out of business.

Your SS will come out of your grandchildren. They will be forced to pay for your SS through income taxes as the Ponzi scheme starts to become top heavy in 2017. And in your last few sentences you show why your generation is to blame. Your generation is responsible for the insolvency of SS and you stand in the way of doing anything to fix it now.

The bolded part is why I am financing the education of my grandchildren....so they can pay into SS.
BUT, eventually, the SS program has to die of old age, or at least face major surgery so we can cut out the wasteful parts of it.

The fraud alone is a huge number. My elderly neighbor is crippled and can get a scooter for $1500 out of her pocket, but the vendor gets $2500 if the govt pays for it. Why can't the govt get the scooter at the same price the vendor is offering to the citizen?

ender1, in response to my posting "They explained to me that they didn’t want the government taking Medicare over and messing with it." you replied
Could you arrainge for me to meet them. I have an investment plan where they purchase Gold that I hold for them. Its a sure thing.
Thanks, you made the libertarian POV very clear.

Back
Top Bottom