• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are Russia and the West closer to Nuclear war than they were during the Cuban Missile Crisis?

Are Russia and the West closer to Nuclear war than they were during the Cuban Missile Crisis?

• Total voters

Centrist

Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Russia and the West are closer to nuclear war than they were during the Cuban Missile Crisis, warns Nikita Khrushchev's daughter - 60 years after her father backed down.

Do you agree with this statement?

Please note the latest development:

The UK has predicted that Vladimir Putin will use Russia's victory day parade on May 9 to announce the mass mobilization of his reserves for a final push in Ukraine.

and individuals on Russian TV are talking like this:

Margarita Simonyan is the Grand Poobah at both RT and Sputnik.

She pushes whatever propaganda Putin tells her to push.

Margarita Simonyan is the Grand Poobah at both RT and Sputnik.

She pushes whatever propaganda Putin tells her to push.
Yes, I forgot to mention the lady is one of the leading figures at RT. I suspect RT has some fans on this forum.

Here she is talking about how great it was to be a pioneer:

Oh, yes!

The Commies were rational people. They did not want Russia converted into the proverbial parking lot.

The current War Criminal and Butcher (President Biden's words) is totally off his rocker and may do anything.

I am 85.

I never thought that I would live long enough to see all the changes that have occurred in this world (such as the incredible Internet and something called smartphones).

And now I realize that I may die in a nuclear war.

Hopefully, a group of patriotic & rational Russians are now meticulously planning to put the Butcher on a plane to Switzerland so that he can spend the rest of his misbegotten days with his mistress.

Yes and No.
During the Cuban Missle Crisis both Russia and the West only had long range ICBM nuclear weapons and both sides realized that such a war was unwinnable for either side. That realization has not changed.
What has changed since then is both sides now have smaller, battlefield nuclear weapons.
Would use of these by one side or the other quickly escalate into a larger nuclear war? Yes.

Yes and No.
During the Cuban Missle Crisis both Russia and the West only had long range ICBM nuclear weapons and both sides realized that such a war was unwinnable for either side. That realization has not changed.
What has changed since then is both sides now have smaller, battlefield nuclear weapons.
Would use of these by one side or the other quickly escalate into a larger nuclear war? Yes.

/thread

Russia and the West are closer to nuclear war than they were during the Cuban Missile Crisis, warns Nikita Khrushchev's daughter - 60 years after her father backed down.

Do you agree with this statement?

Please note the latest development:

The UK has predicted that Vladimir Putin will use Russia's victory day parade on May 9 to announce the mass mobilization of his reserves for a final push in Ukraine.

Those clips are made less for the Russian people and more for you and me. It's to scare us away from providing Ukraine with military aid.

Those clips are made less for the Russian people and more for you and me. It's to scare us away from providing Ukraine with military aid.
I disagree. Propaganda in Eastern Europe works on fear to present a problem and then come up with a solution themselves. It is meant to scare the population in order to group them together around a Messiah, in this case, Putin, the "strongman".

9/10 when I call old relatives back home and there is a political crisis (not this war), I can hear the TV blasting in the background, and fear is what is talking, not reason. After a few days like this, then a fixer is presented and everyone calms down.

If they want to scare us, they use Lavrov which is he doing on a daily basis.

I disagree. Propaganda in Eastern Europe works on fear to present a problem and then come up with a solution themselves. It is meant to scare the population in order to group them together around a Messiah, in this case, Putin, the "strongman".

9/10 when I call old relatives back home and there is a political crisis, I can hear the TV blasting in the background, and fear is what is talking, not reason. After a few days like this, then a fixer is presented and everyone calms down.
I didn't say it's not for them. It is. But they know we're listening, and if you had to explain the utility of such a message, it makes much more sense that it would be made to scare the West into abandoning Ukraine.

Nah. Not even close to that, at this point.

It's a tense situation with potential to go sideways, but there's a lot of unlikely moves between this and outright nuke war with the US.

I see some similarities. Russia threatening nukes to win concessions. It worked for them during the Cuba crisis. It got the US to remove nukes from Turkey and concede not to invade Cuba. It may work again with Senile Joe at the wheel.

Yes, and it's all PUTZIN'S fault.

We believe what we see on Russian TV now? The dumbing down of America is a complete success.

I voted No. Russia and the US are closer to nuclear war than they should be, but not nearly as close as they were during the Cuban Missile Crisis. That was really close.

Back
Top Bottom