• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are Republicans Trying to Hurt the Insurance Business?

Are Republicans Trying to Hurt the Insurance Business?

• Total voters

aberrant85

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
With Obamacare basically a done deal we're now seeing these ads:

But the insurance industry needs young people to sign up for coverage if they are going to be able to afford the sick people that sign up as well. By encouraging healthy people to opt out, aren't they in effect attempting to make the insurance companies go broke? If that's so, doesn't that seem pretty anti-business for the pro-business party?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/22/us/politics/reignited-battle-over-health-law.html?hp&_r=0

The overarching goal is to persuade many of today’s 48 million uninsured to sign up for insurance on the new exchanges created by the law. Crucially, officials need to woo older, sicker people without insurance as well as younger, healthier people, whose payments effectively subsidize those who will end up using more health care...

But even as Mr. Obama’s campaign accelerates, Republicans at all political levels are working against the law.

The Republican National Committee has begun what it calls a monthlong awareness campaign, with a television booking operation to make sure that pundits opposed to the law are always available to counter its boosters...

Other conservative groups are broadcasting television advertisements that urge people not to sign up for coverage under the health care law. Americans for Prosperity began broadcasting an ad last week featuring a cancer survivor who warns about the dangers of the law. It is the latest in a series of commercials featuring women criticizing the law.

Obamacare sucks for every working American that has maintained insurance all their lives. People that ignored coverage until they were sick are being rewarded for poor behavior

Obamacare sucks for every working American that has maintained insurance all their lives. People that ignored coverage until they were sick are being rewarded for poor behavior

So you agree that sick people will cost the insurance companies? And that they would make more money off young, healthy people?

So you agree that sick people will cost the insurance companies? And that they would make more money off young, healthy people?

nope, they aren't getting the young healthy people, remember, 26 year olds can mooch off their parents thanks to the lazy **** in the whitehouse

nope, they aren't getting the young healthy people, remember, 26 year olds can mooch off their parents thanks to the lazy **** in the whitehouse

Do you realize that your comment is contradictory? If a 26-year old is covered under their parents plan, that means someone is paying the insurance company. That means they are getting the young, healthy people.

Do you realize that your comment is contradictory? If a 26-year old is covered under their parents plan, that means someone is paying the insurance company. That means they are getting the young, healthy people.

Earth to you, we all incurred increases when this went into effect, my premium jumped almost 30% with that one change. Now with the other changes coming into play my premiums are out of sight. My costs have almost doubled since ACA passed. It is a ****ty piece of legislation.

Not sure but I think the IRS will eventually start charging a fine to anyone who doesn't have health insurance. However, the fine is less than buying insurance. So I suspect that younger healthy people willl just opt to pay the fine.

Earth to you, we all incurred increases when this went into effect, my premium jumped almost 30% with that one change. Now with the other changes coming into play my premiums are out of sight. My costs have almost doubled since ACA passed. It is a ****ty piece of legislation.

The cost of health insurance would have gone up regardless of ACA simply because health care costs are skyrocketing.

People should not simply roll over and accept the government forcing them into commerce. Perhaps liberals needs to start treating young people as people instead of simple money pots for the old, but I guess old habits die hard. You can't expect the party that loves SS to stop using young people to hold up the old. Then again, the compassionate party for some stupid reason thinks it's compassionate to use people for the benefit of others.

Last edited:

It doesn't change the fact that a 26 year old is not a child and should not be on their parents plan. Their parents should not still be paying their way when they are well into their adult life.

Last edited:
It doesn't change the fact that a 26 year old is not a child and should not be on their parents plan. Their parents should not still be paying their way when they are well into their adult life.

Whoa. Tag team.

Regardless of your super judgmental position, I don't see how it hurts anyone.

What's the lie?

the lie is not telling the young and healthy that they are going to get charged more then they should be charged so the unhealthy don't have to pay as much. it is a Ponzi Scheme

It is bad enough you wage war on the successful by taxing them more and more so the not so successful can have what they worked hard for
now you want to do the same to the healthy by making them pay more then they should for health insurance so the not so healthy doesn't pay as much

why do you hate the wealthy and now the healthy so much why do you want to punish them

Last edited:
Whoa. Tag team.

You mean besides the fact that I don't want my kid on my plan when they are 26 years old. What makes you think I still want to be paying for my kid when they are a goddamn adult?

Whoa. Tag team.

I hurts every one because it raise the cost of insurance. cant you liberal get it through your thick skull NOT A GOD DAM THING IS FREE SOME ONE ELSE IS ALWAYS LEFT WITH THE BILL

Last edited:
I hurts every one because it raise the cost of insurance. cant you liberal get it through your thick skull NOT A GOD DAM THING IS FREE SOME ONE ELSE IS ALWAYS LEFT WITH THE BILL

Usually it's Republicans who think we can spend like maniacs and not tax anyone. If nothing else, liberals realize that SOMEBODY has to pay taxes at some point.

You mean besides the fact that I don't want my kid on my plan when they are 26 years old. What makes you think I still want to be paying for my kid when they are a goddamn adult?

What you do with your kid is your own business. How about letting other parents decide how they treat their kids?

What you do with your kid is your own business. How about letting other parents decide how they treat their kids?

No one was stopping idiotic parents from paying for their kids health insurance until they're 26. :/

the lie is not telling the young and healthy that they are going to get charged more then they should be charged so the unhealthy don't have to pay as much. it is a Ponzi Scheme

It is bad enough you wage war on the successful by taxing them more and more so the not so successful can have what they worked hard for
now you want to do the same to the healthy by making them pay more then they should for health insurance so the not so healthy doesn't pay as much

why do you hate the wealthy and now the healthy so much why do you want to punish them

Even your language is Orwellian. People are hurt by being on insurance?

Ask yourself, if poor and middle class people suddenly vanished, would rich people be just as well off? Or would they suddenly find themselves without a workforce to sustain them?

So maybe throw the peasants a bone every once in a while so they're not too sick to come and wax your solid gold toilet rocket car.

No one was stopping idiotic parents from paying for their kids health insurance until they're 26. :/

So idiotic to want your child to be covered in case of a health emergency, huh?

I thought libertarians were supposed to be all live and let live.

People should not simply roll over and accept the government forcing them into commerce. Perhaps liberals needs to start treating young people as people instead of simple money pots for the old, but I guess old habits die hard. You can't expect the party that loves SS to stop using young people to hold up the old. .
If you paid for it, you should get it.

Then again, the compassionate party for some stupid reason thinks it's compassionate to use people for the benefit of others
It's even more absurd that compassionate conservatives wouldn't want the 'free riders' to buy their own health insurance, instead of forcing taxpayers to pay for their health care.....

Individual mandate in Obama's health care law: good for freedom, bad for free-riders - CSMonitor.com

So idiotic to want your child to be covered in case of a health emergency, huh?

A 26 year old is not a child and should not be treated as one. If they have a health emergency they need to pay for it like everyone else.

I thought libertarians were supposed to be all live and let live.

What does that have to do with anything? There is a good chance a twenty-six year old has kids of their own and you're sitting here supporting the idea that they should still be supported by their parents. At what point do you think a parent should cut their kids lose? Never? Just support them like they're still children until the day you die? That's ****ed up man.

That makes you jealous? That people with catastrophic illness get treatment? Do you want to trade places with them?
I wonder how the mind works sometimes.

If you paid for it, you should get it.

What are you talking about? Social Security? Sorry, but I don't owe you squat.

It's even more absurd that compassionate conservatives wouldn't want the 'free riders' to buy their own health insurance, instead of forcing taxpayers to pay for their health care.....

I don't support forcing taxpayers to pay for other peoples healthcare needs. :shrug:

That is the stupidest ****ing article I have seen in a while. How is forcing people into commerce freedom? WTF is wrong with the author of that article? Interestingly enough, this whole free-rider problem is a government creation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom