• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are progressives consistent regarding civilian firearm ownership?

You've stated, "Alot of gun owners don't know how to properly use their guns.." Since you've made such a claim, what percentage of firearm owners does this represent?
Hard to say. How many gun owners have to take any type of exam? I have 6+ with 5 being handguns and I did not have to demonstrate my competency to own any of them.

Hard to say. How many gun owners have to take any type of exam? I have 6+ with 5 being handguns and I did not have to demonstrate my competency to own any of them.
What does taking exams have to do with competency?

Hell, many right-wing gun nuts probably couldn't pass a 6th-grade-level math test to save their stupid lives.

Japanese have to pass a written exam, among other things, to own a gun.

They're clearly a bit more advanced than ... Murr-ca...

Hell, many right-wing gun nuts probably couldn't pass a 6th-grade-level math test to save their stupid lives.

more stupid baiting and trolling. The average American gun owner is better educated and more affluent than the average non gun owner. And far far more honest than those who troll gun threads with stupid lies about gun owners

6th grade level math doesn't have much to do with owning a gun, from my viewpoint. Perhaps you can explain why you think that would be a relevant standard for gun ownership.

I think a criminal background check would be more relevant for guns and motor vehicles. Which motor vehicles require no math test either. My stepfather couldn't read, and he owned cars and had a driver's license.

more stupid baiting and trolling. The average American gun owner is better educated and more affluent than the average non gun owner. And far far more honest than those who troll gun threads with stupid lies about gun owners

That guy just kinda drives by, and never stays to defend his statements. I don't know why he bothers, except to provide intro for some good gun rights arguments.

Really? As a party platform? Source that.

I've told this story before, believe it or dont.

When I worked at the Gates Foundation, before it was all consolidated onto the new campus near the Space Needle, we used to take shuttles between different buildings.

Was in a shuttle going to a meeting, there was a driver and 4 other people, including me. Somebody started talking about the new Springfield XD 9mm he'd just bought. Another, a woman, and he started discussing the merits of their 9mms. The driver and other person didnt comment.

So, out of the 5 random people in the van, at least 3 of us owned and supported the ownership of firearms. The driver was not likely an American citizen.

Dude...FFS.

That guy just kinda drives by, and never stays to defend his statements. I don't know why he bothers, except to provide intro for some good gun rights arguments.
Trolling or a poe: hard to say. It's just mindless drivel and it shows that crime control is not what motivates many of the anti gun types. They don't dislike criminals or crime-they just want to bait and insult people who don't buy into their culture where all personal responsibility is outsourced to "big brother"

They are against civilians in the US owning guns, but they wholeheartedly support rifles being handed out like candy in the Ukraine.

Dude...FFS.

I missed where he even implied he was out to ban civilians owning guns. Can you quote that from your link?

And I thought everyone was for reducing gun violence...are you asserting that the right, the Republicans are against that?

What does taking exams have to do with competency?
Well, some states or localities require a course (with exam) for concealed carry permits, because it is supposed to show you are competent enough with the gun to use one.

First an internet meme is not a great place to start a debate from.

Second yes they have been consistent in they want to ban guns in the US. Their praise for the Ukraines actions does not in any way say they would like the US to do the same. In fact they will be using this an example of why the US does not need an armed population be we aren’t being invaded therefore guns aren’t needed.

Don’t confuse support for other countries using firearms to defend themselves as an endorsement for the US citz to own guns, that different

Well, some states or localities require a course (with exam) for concealed carry permits, because it is supposed to show you are competent enough with the gun to use one.

I have not opposed a shooting test for Concealed carry. We are talking about ownership

First an internet meme is not a great place to start a debate from.

Second yes they have been consistent in they want to ban guns in the US. Their praise for the Ukraines actions does not in any way say they would like the US to do the same. In fact they will be using this an example of why the US does not need an armed population be we aren’t being invaded therefore guns aren’t needed.

Don’t confuse support for other countries using firearms to defend themselves as an endorsement for the US citz to own guns, that different

Well, let's be fair.

Those referred to as gun banners usually only want to ban some common guns that are largely used for lawful purposes, and in defiance of the Constitution. Other common guns that are most often used for lawful purposes, they generally utter scarcely a peep. (Even though those guns are used for unlawful purposes more often than the other guns.)

Personally, I think this is because many of the people who would support the politicians who support "assault weapon" bans, happen to keep a handgun in their nightstand.

I have not opposed a shooting test for Concealed carry. We are talking about ownership
Yes, we are. You asked what percentage of gun owners are competent users, and I told you it would be hard to determine without some type of metric (like an exam).

Yes or no? How else would you determine competence of gun owners?

Yes, we are. You asked what percentage of gun owners are competent users, and I told you it would be hard to determine without some type of metric (like an exam).

Overly broad question.
Competence in what aspect, and to what degree?

easy, the rates of accidents with firearms. It's really low,-not a statistically significant source of harm

Overly broad question.
Competence in what aspect, and to what degree?
Competent enough to use one without unintentionally harming themselves or others. Not every gun owner uses their firearms regularly (most probably don't), so a gun sitting in a drawer somewhere is not going to leap out and shoot someone.

Back
Top Bottom