• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are post-game prayers unconstitutional?

Are post-game prayers unconstitutional?

• Total voters
The point being, about 1/3 of the populace is Christian. Are you saying that the other 2/3 should stand there and listen to something that they feel is wrong?
Almost every winning boxer (prob'ly other sports as well) thanks god for the win, never heard the loser curse god for helping the other fighter.

The point being, about 1/3 of the populace is Christian. Are you saying that the other 2/3 should stand there and listen to something that they feel is wrong?

The only point that matters when discussing this subject is the actual text of the First Amendment.

Given that this issue is going before the supreme court, I want to see DP's opinion on it.

An article for background information:

Rest of the article can be read here: https://1430wcmy.com/2022/04/06/public-school-coach-asks-supreme-court-to-ok-post-game-prayers/#
In my opinion, prayer or other forms of religious expression should take place publicly only in churches, religious places, or at events organized by one or more religions.

It should not take place in any secular public building, unless it's a silent prayer or moment of silence type thing, or unless that building has shared spaces and a religious organization is currently holding an event.

The poll question as written isn't specific about where a "post game prayer" is taking place. If this coach decides to go home or his church, temple, mosque, shrine, etc., that's absolutely his 1st Amendment right to do so. I personally don't even really have that much of a problem if he wants to wait there on the field until after everyone else has left the grounds to perform whatever religious rituals he wants.

The main problem is that while there are people there at a taxpayer funded & supported facility for a school function, and some religious ritual is being performed by a staff member of a public school function at that venue, it's either being permitted by the school - which contradicts the separation of church and state criteria, or it's being done without the schools permission, which means it's in the same or similar kind of category as trespassing or loitering (which is basically the action the public school would have to take in order to make it clear that it's not being done with its permission). I'm not saying he has to be arrested or fired or anything like that; a warning and suspensions for ignoring warnings are ok at first.

If it's not public school staff, such as the students, the football team players, parents or relatives of the students, or fans/spectators/attendees who are engaging in religious rituals, then that seems ok provided they're not doing so in such a way that's disruptive or interferes with the venue (e.g. blocking exits or making it difficult for people leaving the facility).

Would say if a player or group of players want to get together for a post game prayer, that is fine.
If there is a coach or say owner of the team who is requiring players to participate in a post game prayer, that is not fine and could be seen as unconstitutional.

I think it's crossing a line for a coach to pray with students. It's one thing if he wants to privately pray by himself, or if students want to initiate it themselves. It might even be OK if the coach wants to privately pray with a few students who he knows would be interested in doing so (although that's iffy).

If the coach is leading students in prayer on the 50-yard line, there's no easy way for them to opt out without social awkwardness or making a scene. So yes, I think it is unconstitutional. I doubt the Supreme Court will see it that way though.

This is something that I don't understand about religious people. Why not just do your thing? Why does everyone else have to do your thing too?

Last edited:
they are only unconstitutional if they are mandatory

It should be deemed unconstitutional as the person leading the prayer is a public school official/employee on public property. Further, the coach holds a leadership position over students that is closely monitored because students will feel pressured to do what the official will do.

The stupid thing about this, and the coach should’ve been aware of it, if the coach had just made it known that he would be praying in another location like a parking lot across the street in case anyone would want to join him…this wouldn’t really be an issue for the courts as there would be sufficient separation.

Remember that the statement of separation of church and state was used by Jefferson in his letter to the Danbury Baptist as an explanation of the First Amendment.

Side note: I find it interesting that they want teachers to be able to talk about faith in schools but think any talk about gender or sexuality is “indoctrination”.

No forcing children to pray during acceptance rituals. One can have acceptance rituals with rites of passage, a hierarchy and all that, but no forced mythology in public schools.

There can't be, "and now you bow to Zeus!"

No. Do your rituals without magic. No forcing magic on others.

There's no reason a child should be required to join the Harry Potter School of Physics in order to play football.

"Yes, coach, I believe in magic! Some people have magical powers! Play me!"

And that gets the kid into the game.

They listen to your loud farts!!!

No forcing children to pray during acceptance rituals. One can have acceptance rituals with rites of passage, a hierarchy and all that, but no forced mythology in public schools.

There can't be, "and now you bow to Zeus!"

No. Do your rituals without magic. No forcing magic on others.
I count on you to elucidate this and other touchy topics. All grins!

As opposed to what? Standing somewhere else? Listening to something else? Sure, go do that instead.

Back
Top Bottom